MTG thread

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Top 8'd our sealed PPTQ tonight. 3-1-1 with my loss to the 4-0-1 in R3. Was pretty meh about about my sealed deck but I got there. Drafted what I thought was a crazy good UW tempo deck. Myth Realized, Skywise Teachings, 3x Reduce, 1 Pacifism, 2x Anticipate, Lightform, playable prowess(1x Lotus-Eye), and a few flyers. Flooded out around T4 G1. Kept a 2 Plains hand and manifested my Island G2. Feels bad. Got 4 packs for finishing 5-8th because everyone who played got a charity pack. At least I got a Narset in my sealed pool.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Never played MTGO and to be honest not much Magic at all in the last 10 years. But saw Tempest Remastered was coming out online only and really wanted to draft it. How does drafting on MTGO work? Do I get to keep the cards at all? Do I just get thrown in with random people or is there some kinda skill ranking ill get matched with? Any other advice for trying it out?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You will get to keep the cards. You can win packs. There is no skill-based matchmaking, but generally better players play 8-4s and worse players play pack-per-win (formerly just called swiss) drafts.

Xalara

Golden Squire
If you are new, do not play in the 8-4 queues. You will just be throwing your money away. Play in the swiss (pack per win) queues while listening to Limited Resources (Limited Resources | Magic: The Gathering podcast with an emphasis on improving at Limited play.) and watching Twitch streams or Channel Fireball's videos.

While 8-4 queues have better players, they are single elimination. This means that even if you draft a good deck you can still be eliminated due to variance which may lead to skewed perceptions on how to draft if you don't have much experience. Play the swiss queues, get a feel for what decks are good, how to read signals, etc. Then when you feel confident, dip your toe into 8-4 drafting.

Also, know when to take money cards. It is important for sustainable drafting. I generally take any card whose value is more than 3 tickets. If you need to look up a card's price,GoatBots - A Reliable MTGO Bot Chainis really good.

Caal

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think you're both doing the guy a disservice. The appropriate response is to tell him to stay as far away from mtgo as humanly possible.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Even now that I again have cards I'm pretty sure that I prefer MTGO to physical. Buying singles is a pain, storing this crap is a pain, and I don't really have a way of playing a whole mess of games in a single sitting. If there's something I want to put together and try out it's a zillion times easier to do it in digital than in paper. The last Standard deck I put together it took a week for cards to show up and then I had to find people to play with. If I had went the MTGO route I could have been playing games with the deck I wanted to put together in five minutes. Format irrelevant cards are absurdly cheap and a casual like myself can go hog wild for pennies.

If I was playing to play rather than playing to hang out with people I'd never go the physical route.

Chris

Potato del Grande
If you have a good local store for FNM, it's significantly better than MTGO unless you want to be a recluse.

Caal

Lord Nagafen Raider
So you've got the 40 year old virgin and the depressing as fuck recluse telling you MTGO is just dandy. Tread carefully.
smile.png

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Want to play Tempest Remastered and it is online only. There is no other option but trying MTGO if I want to play Tempest.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Got an offer of a EX/NM Underground Sea for a sealed box of MM2. Based on today's spoilers, I'm heavily inclined to take it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, who wants to pay 10 dollars a pack to draft Scars Block 2 Electric Boogaloo?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I don't even really play any more and MM2 looks like dogshit. Few chase mythics and cryptic command, the rest is....awful? Lol @ ravnica bounce lands being uncommon. Serun Visions is like a 6$ common and they couldn't toss that shit in there instead of the myriad of literal trash they included?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Serum Visions spiked to $12 after the spoiler hit.

The set is EXTREMELY top heavy. The mythics are fine, the rates are middling, and there's barely three uncommons or commons worth the paper they're printed on.

Yeah. Definitely taking that Underground Sea after thinking about it.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Serum Visions or Gitaxian Probe is nailed on for August FNM promo I reckon. Suspect it will be Gitaxian Probe.