MTG thread

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, going to an event, opening new packs and playing two headed with your buddies is a "complete waste of time and money."

What's stopping you from really enjoying it? Or do you enjoy taking it so serious and then lording it over people?

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why do you seem to be taking it personal that I don't enjoy casual Magic?

I just moved 750 miles and don't know a soul that plays locally. Not that it matters, I've never enjoyed casual Magic except with the best of my friends. Being almost 40, I have very little in common with most Magic players and it makes it tough to get beyond being acquaintances.

I'm not some salty old guy. I just enjoy the competitive aspect of Magic and not much else.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm not taking it personal. I managed a shop years ago so I've seen every type of player. You bemoaned pre-release events as a waste of time and money when these events are obviously not targeted at you. Did you ever enjoy just playing the game? When did how you feel about it change?

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I guess I wasn't clear when I said it was a waste of time and money. It is for me, but I can certainly understand the appeal to a lot of players. I started playing just after Alpha sold out and quit around Weatherlight. I came back to the game just before Dragons Maze. Even as a kid I never really played Magic casually, I played in a couple Pro Tours in the 90's and recently got queued again but that's really why I play the game.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm the same boat, I played from the start, got out about Mirrodin but still worked at a hobby shop doing Warhammer etc. I ran a ton of local tourneys but never got into the whole PT thing. I got back in just about Ravnica rotation because my brother was playing again. I bet if I moved like you did I'd probably stop playing entirely.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I got myself a play set of piledrivers by trading away a promo piledriver and pulling one. I feel like I made out.

My red deck is going full goblin for standard night I think. My zurgo's are getting dumped for sure.

I played 3 Act of Treason cards from my sealed pool and it felt like I was playing red control.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Got to sacrifice a 6-counter, Supression-Bonds-ed Hangarback with Pia and Kiran Nalaar. Was the best feeling.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
went 2-2 at the pre release with a "C" red/white aggro deck. Not much bombs, but molten vortex did work when i flooded. angel's tomb overperformed, and tragic arrogance was not impressive. Never drew the blessed spirits in 11 games, was a bummer. I almost went 3-1, but died to turn 2 jace turn 3 sphinx tutelage. drew no action and got milled out.

rrr_img_103275.jpg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I just got 24 amulets for ~3.5 tix each. Hopefully they go right back up to 15. They went down on reprint speculation, then stayed down on banning speculation.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
There are that many dingbats that think playing Amulet is fun? More power to them I guess.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Most people playing competitive Constructed formats on MTGO are playing to practice for PTQs and GPs. Especially Modern.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Spending 800 tix on a modern deck to grind with isn't really a sound strat. :p

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's still around 300 tix for a competitive constructed deck on MTGO, usually.

Sterling

El Presidente
Block constructed is often cheap. Also often there are mono red decks and such in standard that can often be built for under 100 tix.