MTG thread

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Block constructed is often cheap. Also often there are mono red decks and such in standard that can often be built for under 100 tix.
Yeah that was my thought.

I would like to get into a paper modern deck that won't cost me an arm and a leg and is competitive without needing that perfect draw to work.

Any suggestions?

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah that was my thought.

I would like to get into a paper modern deck that won't cost me an arm and a leg and is competitive without needing that perfect draw to work.

Any suggestions?
Entirely depends on what you mean by competitive. All of the popular Modern decks are at least a couple of hundred if built from scratch, and if you want to play a multicolor green creature deck like Jund or Junk it'll be over a grand. Even Burn runs 2 or 3 colors generally and goblin guide which isn't very cheap right now. Maybe with the Piledriver reprint there can be some kind of mono red goblin deck that isn't complete poop, but you'll need those goblin guides again. Also depends on what you mean by not costing an arm and a leg. If you mean a deck that's under 3 or 4 hundred dollars that's workable, but if you want to smash tournaments with something that's 50 bucks, then modern isn't going to happen. The good thing about modern though as a non rotating format is that the cards you accumulate will almost always be useful for the long term.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I think I could probably go up to 400 or 500 absolute max. I think I just need to research the common archetypes and find one I like to play that doesn't require that nut draw.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
There are still a bunch of tier 2 Modern decks that build for 50-60 (Ux Tron is pretty fun, and does decently on MODO), but even the 'cheap' tier 1 stuff has become non-cheap over the last year. My eyes still cross when I see $30+ Goblin Guides.

I'd suggest waiting for a couple things before buying into a Modern deck:

A) Wait for the Modern PPTQ Season to end. Prices should see a % dip afterward.
B) Wait for Battle For Zendikar preview season to confirm or disconfirm Enemy Fetches. These are a huge part of the initial cost of a "correct" build of many decks. You can ghetto-play the Khans fetches to grab (Main Basic Land) or (Shock Land), but in a Blood Moon format and with Burn abusing shock-land-play, it's way better to have fetches that can grab either of your Basics.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
There are still a bunch of tier 2 Modern decks that buld for 50-60, but even the 'cheap' tier 1 stuff has become non-cheap over the last year. My eyes still cross when I see $30+ Goblin Guides.

I'd suggest waiting for a couple things before buying into Modern:

A) Wait for the Modern PPTQ Season to end. Prices should see a small dip afterward.
B) Wait for Battle For Zendikar to confirm or disconfirm Enemy Fetches. These are a huge part of the initial cost of a "correct" build or many decks. You can ghetto-play the Khans fetches to grab (Main Basic Land) or (Shock Land), but in a Blood Moon format and with Burn abusing shock-land-play, it's way better to have fetches that can grab either of your Basics.
Yeah I think BFZ will be a good time you are right.

EDIT: Fired up the MTGO client. Looks like I played around with it in 2012 with Mirrodin and M12 cards mainly in my account. About 150 of each. I bet none are worth anything though to trade for tix.

Rares are:

Terminus
Treacherous Pit-Dweller
Vexing Devil
Champion of Lambholt
Honor of the Pure
Flamebreak
Eater of Days x4
Lumengrid Augur
Mass Hysteria x4
Nightmare Lash
Sword of Kaldra
Mistform Ultimus x4
Yavimaya Coast x2
Coat of Arms x2

If anyone needs any of that let me know.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you have any standard cards, the Abzan Collected Company lists can be good enough in Modern. You can also try and get some Path's at FNM.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah pure mono red. I got all but 3 uncommon reds from ORI that I want also. Just need 3 more goblin glory chasers. I don't think I will run Chandra for standard.

Oh and FNM at my shop is purely draft standard. Is that not the same for other shops? Are you just saying there would likely be more people there to trade with?

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
The prize card this month is Path To Exile, a modern staple in white decks. If they only draft tho it's probably not worth it.

Sterling

El Presidente
I love limited. At my store though FNM is always Standard. We run 10 proxy Legacy and limited on Saturdays, Commander on Sunday, Modern Monday, Standard Wednesday and random drafts whenever there's 8+ people that want to draft. Personally I really dislike Commander, but it sells a lot of really random cards that Legacy players wouldn't touch so it's good for stores.

Sterling

El Presidente
That's pretty strange. A large base like that should be huge for gaming store since it's right in their demographic. We have something similar here with the Oil Fields. Lots of relatively young guys with disposable income. People just not like anything besides draft and standard?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
That's pretty strange. A large base like that should be huge for gaming store since it's right in their demographic. We have something similar here with the Oil Fields. Lots of relatively young guys with disposable income. People just not like anything besides draft and standard?
I guess so. There are like 5 stores in a 10 mile radius of the base and they draft or standard constructed mainly for sponsored events. Maybe some of these stores are doing other stuff and just not advertising it. I just see FNM draft at every place so far and a standard constructed on some other random night.

Sterling

El Presidente
Fair enough. Standard and limited are by far the most popular formats, and generally the formats stores push the most since they sell packs. You'd still think some of the stores would run other formats at least sometimes.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
We're seeing a real resurgence of legacy in our local area. Our Thursday night legacy event is routinely topping 30+ players, and other shops are looking at getting an event on the books as well. There's also a local team that shows up with a streaming rig who just does it out of sheer enthusiasm.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I know I am a moron but I have to get this clarified.

Opponent had aHangarback Walker (Magic Origins) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering
on the field with three tokens on it making it a 3/3.

I hit it with aLightning Javelin (Magic Origins) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering
for 3 damage on my turn.

He tapped it and paid one and made it a 4/4. I was not sure that he could do an activated ability like that as a response. It didn't change a ton to the game so I let it go and then forgot to get clarification on it later.

Can you do activated abilities like that as an interrupt when you don't have priority? Wouldn't that go on after my damage and therefore killing it?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The stack is always resolved as a LIFO buffer; last in, first out.

'Priority' only matters on an empty stack, which really only matters for changing steps or substeps. Once someone puts an effect on the stack, the other player can place an effect onto the stack on top of it.

Sterling

El Presidente
Activated abilities are done at instant speed unless specifically stated otherwise, there are no longer interrupts. He would have priority after you announce the Lightning Javelin if you don't hold priority to respond to it yourself. Because his affect is on top of the stack it would resolve making his creature into a 4/4 and then your spell would resolve dealing 3 damage.