MTG thread

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Missed the whole PT due to GenCon. The upside is I own power again. Haven't held a Mox since I was 17.
smile.png

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
60% returns over 3 days is pretty good. Too bad I only had 400 tix to do it with. :/

This was a good PT for me. I studied the last few Standard PTs from the perspective of MTGO finance and realized all you have to do is avoid the top 3 highest priced cards in the new set on MTGO, and put your tickets into anything else that looks remotely playable, and you can expect a huge return. The overvalued cards are always way overvalued, and everything else playable is always undervalued.

The timing of the MTGO set release being so close to the PT always helps.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Legion getting laid off from running Midwest GPs is interesting. Their events may not have been fabulous, but they were better than Passtimes'. Both are inferior to the ChannelFireball ones I've been to, though.

Xalara

Golden Squire
I'm glad Efro didn't get Player of the Year after LSV conceded to him. At lower levels of play I do agree that policing match fixing isn't the most feasible. However at the Pro Tour, that kind of blatant match fixing should not be happening, especially in a close race like this year's Player of the Year.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you don't think Sigrist got concessions at some point during the season, I have a bridge I'd like to show you.

Sterling

El Presidente
Especially in context of pairings of people with different records concessions happen sometimes. If you get paired down against someone that can't top8 or whatever they'll often just concede to let you in. That doesn't always happen but it certainly does happen. Also IDs happen all the time. It's something that's allowed to happen because you can't reasonably enforce any rules against it.

Sterling

El Presidente
Legion getting laid off from running Midwest GPs is interesting. Their events may not have been fabulous, but they were better than Passtimes'. Both are inferior to the ChannelFireball ones I've been to, though.
This was pretty strange. Kind of makes me wonder how they ended up coming to that decision. I've never had too many issue with various Legion events.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's entirely possible that this 17 year old kid I know from our store went nuts with GR Devotion at GP Providence, went deep on day 2, conceded to A. Hayne and possibly was compensated in some fashion. I'm not saying it happened, I'm saying it's possible.

You can't stop the illegal stuff so why worry about the legal concessions?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
If that's a legit thing and you know something about it, I strongly encourage you to report it. That's bribery, and it's about as serious as it gets. There should be repercussions or people will continue trying to to do it.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Just because you can't stop it all the time doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Especially at a high level event like the Pro Tour that wants to be taken seriously. Yes, you're not going to stop it at every GP or SCG Open, but that's not the point. The Olympics can't and don't stop every incidence of match fixing but they at least try (see: Badminton at the 2012 summer games).

Sterling

El Presidente
Just because you can't stop it all the time doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Especially at a high level event like the Pro Tour that wants to be taken seriously. Yes, you're not going to stop it at every GP or SCG Open, but that's not the point. The Olympics can't and don't stop every incidence of match fixing but they at least try (see: Badminton at the 2012 summer games).
There is no reasonable way to enforce it. What's to stop LSV from just mulliganing to 3 2 straight games?

Xalara

Golden Squire
Common sense? Poker tournaments have similar rules for people throwing matches. It's easy to call someone out on bullshit.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well I just sold my alpha lotus, beta mox sapp and beta bayou for like 12k today. Lotus was only rated as a 4, so I think I got a nice deal all things considered.