MTG thread

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Oh I expected it just wasn't looking forward to playing it. I just don't love the ability is all.

The red card spoiled today.

Spawn of Akoum 4RR
Creature - Dragon [Rare]
Flying
Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may deal 1 damage to target creature or player. If that land was a mountain, you may deal 2 damage instead.
4/4

Okay on turn 7 I get 2 damage from dropping a land? Just not loving it so far is all.

Sterling

El Presidente
We just haven't seen our Lotus Cobras/Emeria Angels/Rampaging Baloths yet. This iteration of landfall has been pretty underwhelming, comparatively. Of course, we've seen like, a fifth of the set, so there's more to come.
I'm just glad it isn't a pile of +2/+2 creatures that make for a ridiculously aggressive limited format.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Scythe Tiger is a very "fixed" geopede/steppe lynx, so I'd expect not to see anything on that level this set
smile.png

Sterling

El Presidente
Scythe Tiger is a very "fixed" geopede/steppe lynx, so I'd expect not to see anything on that level this set
smile.png
Between landfall and the stuff like Shortcutter and Hookmasters and stuff it felt like almost every limited game was just a race. So hard to draft a grindy deck. Just hope it's a fun format, the first Zendikar was not.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
landfall has to be treated very careful, its an ability that is almost uncounterable, plus fetch lands make it trigger twice.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My 'design file' for a set is for a math-based world where there's bi-modal cards based on whether you have odd/even numbers of creatures in play, # lands, # cards in hand, # cards in graveyard or your life total (5 separate, similar mechanics.)

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Too much math involved, especially when you go to resolve the stack and it has multiple cards that need to do that check.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I already thought of that. It'd just be a modal card that checks at the time of casting, not resolution. So like any other modal spell, but the 'choice' is made for you based on the condition.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The Legendary Ally feels like they're taunting EDH players.
"We've made this tribal theme that goes across all 5 colors. Here's a 2-color general for it."

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Those lands are tempting me to buy a case to pay for everything else.

If I pull two in a case and enough value in the rest which shouldn't be too hard, it could come close to be just a box price. My numbers are probably way off but it's tempting.

What any sane person should do is just buy the singles they want but not sure I will do that.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Buying a case opening week, and selling cards opening week, should make you your money back with a lot of excess cards remaining for use. Prices are probably going to crash on the bulk of the set rather quickly though, so I'd get that shit out the door ASAP release weekend.

Also, god help you if you get the BFZ Dual-land Expeditions instead of the other 20.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Buying a case opening week, and selling cards opening week, should make you your money back with a lot of excess cards remaining for use. Prices are probably going to crash on the bulk of the set rather quickly though, so I'd get that shit out the door ASAP release weekend.

Also, god help you if you get the BFZ Dual-land Expeditions instead of the other 20.
Yeah, if I can pimp it week 1 then I will do it.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It's too bad there's 25 card in the cycle, so there's unlikely to be a "god pack" style thing floating around. Although judging by how frequently they've been fucking up booster box packaging this past year, there'll probably be a random box with an expedition in every pack just due to print error. There were several "all fetchlands" booster boxes of FRF. Wizards is apparently not the best at sorting their "bonus slot" cards.

Sterling

El Presidente
A case will most likely get you 1 Expedition. Although you're more likely for 2 than 0. Of those it's more likely a shock or new dual than a fetch.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
As they show more and more of the set, this feels like some weird social experiment where they're testing how terrible they can make the average rare and still sell packs on strength of cool lands.