MTG thread

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Mythics and the price of the game in general has managed to keep me clean for years now. My schtick was always going to a few FNMs, scoping out the field, and building janky rogue stuff on the cheap with dollar rares and the like based on whatever was popular at the time. With mythics the way they are though my bread and butter dollar rares are typically now all 5-10$ minimum due to mythic rarity and I just don't care enough to drop any real-ish cash on the game.

I do so miss the look on the faces of the resident temporarily embarrassed pro players though when their full foiled faerie decks lost to my shitty mono green list packing maindeck squall lines and cloudthreshers.
Technically, Mythics drove down the price of non-mythic rares, by making people open more product. The game is just really popular, and played by a lot of people with more money than sense. Also, people like me drive up the cost of cards because the market will bear it. I'm solely on MTGO now, but there are certainly a lot of profiteers in paper.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea they were all over the store I played at. Dudes walking around with their "trade" binder that was worth more than the stores inventory. None of them played really, they all just value traded and sharked little kids all night until eventually the store started banning them.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea they were all over the store I played at. Dudes walking around with their "trade" binder that was worth more than the stores inventory. None of them played really, they all just value traded and sharked little kids all night until eventually the store started banning them.
Part of why I like my store's (not that I do much MTG outside of MTGO ATM) policy that any trades are done THROUGH the store if done inside. They'll let anyone make any deal, but they're going to hear the store's values on the trades before they finalize it - and since they stick to like 80% of SCG pricing or so, they're quite fair.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is there usually a time limit before you can buy new mtg sets with amazon prime? I ask because I'm not going to bother getting anything pre-release or on release day on Oct 2nd. Pretty much Amazon is usually fairly cheap eventually, I have Prime, and then it's easy to set that up so I get it the day I want it since the guaranteed 2 day shipping. Just unsure how long say Origins took before they had orders for Prime because isn't BFZ like super popular (expeditions? Full art lands? etc etc) and either I'm going to go to a store in person sometime in the next week fews (sucks because closest store would be ~35-40 minutes away) or just wait for it to show up with Prime.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Technically, Mythics drove down the price of non-mythic rares, by making people open more product. The game is just really popular, and played by a lot of people with more money than sense. Also, people like me drive up the cost of cards because the market will bear it. I'm solely on MTGO now, but there are certainly a lot of profiteers in paper.
What's your name on MTGO? I know you're a big limited player so we had to have played before. I'm Allmenmustdiex

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm obviously doing my own thing, but if any of you come across a standard deck in the next two weeks you have a really strong feeling (backed by actual testing) would be competitive in a Pro Tour meta and wouldn't mind sharing the list, ship it to me. I'm not on a major team and not too proud to crowd source ideas. Right now, I am very likely to play a converted Mardu Dragons list. The deck was very good (but not incredibly popular) pre-rotation, and has gotten better post-rotation.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Fatpacks are a fun gambling man's product this time. Saw 2 expeditions cracked from the same fatpack last night.

I opened 10 Oran Rief Hydra in my 4 fatpacks...
wink.png

Sterling

El Presidente
Fatpacks are a fun gambling man's product this time. Saw 2 expeditions cracked from the same fatpack last night.

I opened 10 Oran Rief Hydra in my 4 fatpacks...
wink.png
You get 80 full art lands, which we're selling for like a quarter a shot anyways so that's pretty sweet.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Got a fat pack this morning (might get another over the weekend) Pulled Ob nix, Ulamog, cider glade, and Fathom Feeder so not bad

Sterling

El Presidente
Has anyone drafted this yet?

It looks...unusual.
I've done 3 drafts now. U/R colorless aggro, U/B colorless aggro. And 4 color green ramp nonsense. Blue/X colorless aggro is quite good in the format. Format is faster than Rise was but slower than Zen or say, Gatecrash was. Seen some pretty sweet brews. We'll see how it goes as people become more comfortable and the color dispersion self corrects.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I got three fat packs today and had the best pulls of my life. 1 Expedition (cinder glade), Kiora, Gideon, 2 Cinder Glades, 1 Sunken Hollow, Void Winnower. Even my foils where good, Spell shrivel, Titan's presence, Skyline cascade. And a bunch of the other $3-5 rares like Ruinous Path and the hasted elf mana dork.

Composter

Golden Knight of the Realm
Holy crap, Fat Pack prices are spiking. Dem full art lands, man. Apparently they are sold out from distributors, with no plans for a BFZ reprint.

Xalara

Golden Squire
If WotC doesn't do a second (or even third?) printing of fat packs they are stupid since they'd be literally leaving money on the table. Also the LGS that are marking up fatpacks are stupid since this type of price gouging is the kind that loses you customers. The smart ones have it near MSRP and are limiting it to one per person, something that most other kinds of stores do with a highly in demand product. Even more than that, people are going to feel real dumb spending $65+ on a fatpack only to find out in three weeks that their full art lands are near worthless due to supply.

Stepping back a bit, I do think that stores marking up prices to higher than MSRP on release is going to be something that WotC will have to address. It's a problem that threatens to limit growth of their customer base in the long term because it leads to poor customer experiences.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
ChannelFireBall and StarCityGames are both charging 55-60 for fat packs. Haven't checked my local stores, but I suspect prices are even higher. Aside from the fun of opening packs, it really will just be more cost effective to wait a couple weeks and buy the singles I want. Shame.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
If WotC doesn't do a second (or even third?) printing of fat packs they are stupid since they'd be literally leaving money on the table. Also the LGS that are marking up fatpacks are stupid since this type of price gouging is the kind that loses you customers. The smart ones have it near MSRP and are limiting it to one per person, something that most other kinds of stores do with a highly in demand product. Even more than that, people are going to feel real dumb spending $65+ on a fatpack only to find out in three weeks that their full art lands are near worthless due to supply.

Stepping back a bit, I do think that stores marking up prices to higher than MSRP on release is going to be something that WotC will have to address. It's a problem that threatens to limit growth of their customer base in the long term because it leads to poor customer experiences.
Truth.

Its why I only shop at one of my local game stores (even go a little bit out of my way to spend my money there) and send as many people as I know their way because they don't gouge anything even from the vault sets.