MTG thread

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Pretty much the story of my MTGO life. The old 500 player events where only 1 person really gets anything and you spend like 15 hours playing for a bunch of packs you don't really care about.
Ya. It's honestly pretty dumb that only 1 player gets the pro tour invites whereas the top 8 in grand prix's all get it. I mean at the very least both finalists should get invites.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
How many players were in your event Lumi?
Pretty sure it was 225 and I see where you're going with this. You're going to say "well GP's have 1,000-2,000 people!" Yes I realize this. However, in order to even get into a PTQ you have to qualify via a PTQQ first by going at least 4-1 out of 5 rounds which is already pretty difficult whereas GP's have no prerequisite to enter. There should be at least more than just 1st place only receiving the invites.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah MTGO PTQs have always been insane. Before the PPTQ changes you'd have 600+ player events which would go like 13+ rounds of swiss. It was bad. MOCS was like that too.

Xalara

Golden Squire
There's also the part where the caliber of competition on MTGO for these types of tournaments starts around round 7-8 of a Grand Prix difficulty.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Is this specific to MTGO? Because it's definitely more than 1st place that gets the invite at a live RPTQ. It's top 4, and top 8 if you hit 128+ players.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
There's also the part where the caliber of competition on MTGO for these types of tournaments starts around round 7-8 of a Grand Prix difficulty.
Not even close to true. In fact I think that online players are generally better especially considering the fact that many of the mistakes that people make in live play are impossible to make online due to automatic triggers on everything.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I know I fuck up draft/sealed picks/builds way less on MTGO than I do in live events. Having the entire pack/pool laid out in front of you during the decision making process, with easy filtering/manipulation, really helps with visualizing.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Not even close to true. In fact I think that online players are generally better especially considering the fact that many of the mistakes that people make in live play are impossible to make online due to automatic triggers on everything.
Re-read what I said.

rad

Lord of Guk
Yeah to Xalara's point- MTGO players are going to be relying on triggers being indicated; where as paper players do not have those automatic prompts. However, I do not play MTGO so I've only experienced one side of the coin.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I don't know what everyone else's experience is but for me the time I spent playing online made me much better at things like triggers and priority with paper magic. Online literally forces you to address every single trigger and every single phase of a turn every single time. It trains you.

rad

Lord of Guk
I don't know what everyone else's experience is but for me the time I spent playing online made me much better at things like triggers and priority with paper magic. Online literally forces you to address every single trigger and every single phase of a turn every single time. It trains you.
That's a valid point, you really are forced to learn each trigger.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
It's actually really bad if you don't play live magic very often like me. I hadn't played live in years and went to a GP in Atlantic City and since I'm so used to having everything automated I forgot a ton of triggers and one actually caused me to lose a game where I had lethal next turn :/