MTG thread

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Pretty sure Maynard just tried to flat out cheat on camera.
I don't think he was trying to cheat. He got ahead of himself and was hoping he could rewind to where he was comfortable. He just flat out miscounted.

Not that it mattered because affinity derped its way into a turn 3 win.

Caal

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't think he was trying to cheat. He got ahead of himself and was hoping he could rewind to where he was comfortable. He just flat out miscounted.

Not that it mattered because affinity derped its way into a turn 3 win.
There was a point there he was clearly trying to add one more mana than he actually had.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
There was a point there he was clearly trying to add one more mana than he actually had.
Nah, he just undercounted by assuming his Inkmoth was active. Watching from home makes it very easy to presume malicious intent.

I can promise you if Tessitori thought there was anything sketchy at all going on, he'd have stopped the match to investigate.

Simas_sl

shitlord
I don't think he tried to add more mana than he had, but he clearly tried to undo a game action after he realized his line wouldn't work.

I love how so many of the people that complain about Wizards never printing cards for modern are now immediately calling for a ban of Eye of Ugin.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
This dude knows MtG players:

Patrick Sullivan ?@BasicMountain 4h4 hours ago
If it wasn't Eldrazi in the Top 8 it would have been some other shit you hate instead.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
It's not that it's eldrazi in the top 8. It's that it's 6 of them, 3 are identical lists, and the other two decks are also colorless and virtually identical.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Looks like an expensive modern season that is going to end in disappointment when the bans come around.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
It's not that it's eldrazi in the top 8. It's that it's 6 of them, 3 are identical lists, and the other two decks are also colorless and virtually identical.
Yea, they caught the meta unaware. This has happened with other decks in Pro Tours, and then the deck falls off right after. I'm not saying the deck isn't great, but the fact that most of the lists were identical from the same group suggests it might be more of a good meta call. There is likely a deck that can beat it, and I wouldn't personally say it's a broken deck just yet. If it's still winning tournaments when people know about it, that's when we have a real problem.

Simas_sl

shitlord
Yeah, BBD said he spent 40 hours trying to build the Eldrazi deck and didn't find it. Two teams broke it for the tour. One of the teams had 10 out of 20 in the top 25 and 3 in the top 8. The meta will adapt or something will get banned.

Xalara

Golden Squire
The problem card is Eye of Ugin. Eldrazi at its core out tempos other decks due to its ability to generate 4+ mana on turn one.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Eye of Ugin was sort of broken with the old big Eldrazi. Giving it all these 3 to 5 mana weapons is what drove it over the edge. It was fun to watch a deck that could go toe to toe with Affinity for broken ass beats imo.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
The problem card is Eye of Ugin. Eldrazi at its core out tempos other decks due to its ability to generate 4+ mana on turn one.
You mean turn 2? I only see it able to generate up to 3 mana on turn 1 with a simian spirit guide.

edit: also, magic pro tour, league LCS, AND super bowl all on same day.. I realize there isn't the biggest cross over between nerds and sports fans, but still.. You'd think the pro tour would have pushed it a week for better viewers.

Simas_sl

shitlord
You mean turn 2? I only see it able to generate up to 3 mana on turn 1 with a simian spirit guide.
I think he means something like dropping three mimics on turn one.

Sucks that dude tapped wrong in game 4 vs LSV. LSV probably still would have lost but now always going to be that cloud over it.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Oh, ok, sure.

Yea, printing a 2 mana eldrazi was probably a mistake. Should have been 1C to cast rather then 2. Eye of ugin was already decent on huge ones, but a free 2/1 that gets bigger is a bit broken.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
JC exiling a spell over the island in the final match seemed insane to me. Especially an obligator.

On the topic of bans/emergency bans: a modo ptq also just had 6/8 eldrazi decks in the top 8. If this trend keeps up thats scary. I think the main problem is decks built to beat up the eldrazi deck are more then likely dogs to any other agro in the format. Yesterday I said eye wont last 18 months. I think its gone with SoI if these numbers for finishes stay similar.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm just selling my Eyes. $50-60 is a good markup from the $2-3 I got em at.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider

Sucks that dude tapped wrong in game 4 vs LSV. LSV probably still would have lost but now always going to be that cloud over it.
No cloud at all. LSV was in the booth for the finals and said he was dead to just the 3/1 haste regardless. If LSV doesn't care, I know I'm not going to sweat it.