MTG thread

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Is this the same china one that scared everyone a year ago or so? I had heard they were getting pretty close on each try, but then they kind of drew back from the spotlight and hid. I wanted to get a hold of at least one card from that supplier because it sounded like they had a weird texture/thickness to them that was hard to explain in text/pictures, but they looked pretty spot on in pictures. As someone who was trading semi-professionally and running an online store, I need to know what I'm looking for to spot them.
I will order some this weekend and then get your address to ship a few to so you can feel them and inspect them.

Do you want some blue core also?

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I will order some this weekend and then get your address to ship a few to so you can feel them and inspect them.

Do you want some blue core also?
If you are ordering both that'd be awesome.. I didn't see a blue core option, but then again that site is kind of a garbage layout imo, so I could have easily missed it. Using blue core sounds like it'd be the most 'realistic' if that means the blue paper, and hence hardest to spot.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Remember Wizards have used black core at various times in the past. Non blue core alone doesn't mean a card is fake.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Remember Wizards have used black core at various times in the past. Non blue core alone doesn't mean a card is fake.
When have they used black core? Do you know what sets they did that for? All I've ever heard is how that was one of the most proven ways to tell a fake, ripping them to see if they had blue core paper, but no one ever wanted to rip up cards they weren't sure were fake.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I am currently being incredibly tempted by a good deal on a Mishra's Workshop.

My wife is gonna get so mad. >.<

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just 1?
smile.png

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
For now. Shop on the other side of town bought a collection that included a full set of power (alpha emerald and twister), Bazaar, Library, Shop, etc. Just 1 though, which is at least enough for Belcher.

They want $600. I'm gonna drive up tomorrow and look. It's about an hour away. If it's LP or better, $600 is a really good price. I'm staffing enough other events over spring and summer that I can probably finish a set with a little effort.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I don't know of a definitive list. It's a common misconception that black core = fake.
I've not been able to find proof of this anywhere. The closest I found was that a few oddball printings might have had black core, like an early Commander or Duel Deck, but even then I couldn't find definitive proof.
For most cards that an average player would come into contact with/want to trade for, blue core would prove it's legitimacy. Any of the ones that might have black core, are likely things a more informed trader/collector would be going after and they would know what to look for. But, the rip test has always been a kind of pointless test to me. Destroying the card means you can't use it anyways, and ripping a card that is with it still doesn't prove the OTHER one is legit. It's like a schrodinger's cat situation.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
I mean it made sense in the rules of the game just fine. I don't disagree with it I just think it's an odd thing to do. It's even worse because its another card function change that isn't actually on the cards.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I really dislike it because the cmc needs to be present on the face up of the card. Just use an indicator or something. I'm fine with back faces having a cmc, I just don't like that it's the one piece of information I have to reference a nonexistent card in a nonexistent zone for.

The fact that the rules now have to carve out a special exception for copy effects is just proof to me that it is very strange.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Maybe there's a card in the set that doesn't work unless this was changed? Although I can't think of any reason for it.

Huntmaster of the Fells now immune to Abrupt Decay though. And there was much rejoicing?

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hopefully they've got some sort of notation on the reverse side to keep track of CMC, yea.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The flavor looks good, the cards look interesting, and it's all very very different thematically from the Khans/Dragons/Fate and Zendikar/Oath blocks. Should be a hoot to draft.

Hopefully they've got some sort of notation on the reverse side to keep track of CMC, yea.
We've already seen the reverse side of several of the new flip cards, so nope. I guess they figure you can always pick it up and look at the other side again though..... The change is fine, but the implementation is lacking.