MTG thread

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
We've already seen the reverse side of several of the new flip cards, so nope. You can always pick it up and look at the other side again though..... The change is fine, but the implementation is lacking.
Once or twice there's been a preview image that has been slightly off in final because of a late change right before printing. Not holding my breath - but it's possible.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'll trade taking flip cards in and out of sleeves for the eternity of annoyance that is the 12 fetchland manabase in Standard. Fuck, I switched to Hoogland's BW control deck weeks ago and actually enjoyed playing MtG again. Probably even got higher win % because I can't fuck up my fetching and color-screw myself.
smile.png

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
People say our mana-bases have gone too far; I say they haven't gone too far enough!

SIX COLOR GOOD STUFF.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The CMC was probably a late change brought about by a mechanic in one of the sets in the next block.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Rise from your grave! (Get it? Innistrad? Get it?)

Spoiler season underway and who cares if the cards are good, this setting is just the best. Thing in the Ice, Werewolf flip walker and now a new Sorin.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yeah it's a flavor home run for sure. We're really only through the flashy stuff like likely doesn't have a home so far. The bread and butter rares that will define the next standard don't seem to be spoiled yet.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Are we expecting a cycle of mana fixing beyond the new bad guildgates? Some of my newer buddies started with Temples and I think they'll be in a for a rude awakening if the mana gets as bad as I think it will.

Caal

Lord Nagafen Raider
Are we expecting a cycle of mana fixing beyond the new bad guildgates? Some of my newer buddies started with Temples and I think they'll be in a for a rude awakening if the mana gets as bad as I think it will.
New cycle rumored on the 18th.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
271 Drownyard Temple R
273 Forsaken Sanctuary U
275 Foul Orchard U
277 Highland Lake U
279 Stone Quarry U
280 Warped Landscape C
281 Westvale Abbey Ormendahl, Profane PrinceR
282 Woodland Stream U

There's room left for a rare land cycle. Although it's up in the air whether it'll be an actual set of 5 cards, or another partial-cycle.

A check-land reprint would be fun for Battle Lands, while an Allied-Color Pain Land update with new generic names would be interesting for <> Decks.

In my heart, I pine for Enemy-Colored Fastlands, but it's likely going to be allied color if anything, since we're on Allied Color tribes this set.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
They really delivered with the flavor again. They can stay in innistrad forever if they can keep this stuff up.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
In my heart, I pine for Enemy-Colored Fastlands, but it's likely going to be allied color if anything, since we're on Allied Color tribes this set.
Previous Innistrad was also enemy color lands despite allied tribes. I think what's more likely to stop it now is the presence of both enemy manlands and enemy painlands in the current standard, neither of which is rotating terribly soon. It's really too bad. I want enemy fastlands as well, but I feel like it might be a while since the previous ones were so closely tied to Mirrodin.

I was also hoping for at least the allied filters, but they no longer fit the available number crunch. I don't think any land cycle currently in existence matches it.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Yeah, my gut feeling is that this set will not have a cycle of dual lands. Fixing in standard is already pretty good, especially when you take the tribal lands (ally, eldrazi, and dragon) into account. With the new block structure, I don't think every block can accomodate a set of rare mana fixing lands. We're also coming off of a few year glut of mana fixing so it would not surprise me if WotC wants to tone things down drastically.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Every block + core set has had a set of lands. I'm positive there will be 5 duals of some variety, probably allied color.

I meant rare lands, not just the uncommon fixing for limited. We'll get somethin.
Alara Block didn't have any rare duals. Nor did Kamiagawa or Mirrodin block. Each block only had a one off 5 color rare land. But your specific comment was "block + core set" so if you want to bookend these by saying there were some lands in M10, 10th edition, 8th and 9th editions, then sure. But that would be the same as bookending Innistrad block with Return to Zendikar block and whatever comes afterwards.

I'm not saying that there won't be a dual land cycle. I just think the playerbase has been spoiled recently. I remember how excited we were to have stuff like Caldera Lake in Tempest or Urborg Volcano in Invasion.

Maybe it's time to go back to a taxing manabase that makes it a struggle to just throw in every good card in standard in a 4 or 5 color deck and call it a deck.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I totally agree, but standard losing fetchlands will do that all by itself. The BFZ duals are dogshit without fetches to find them. In almost every circumstance they're worse than checklands. Innistrad has 2 color tribes, so they're going to want to give some support for them, but we're going to see a lot fewer colors in April. I'm completely fine with it.

Depending on next week's spoilers, I might actually try to start playing standard again. Last time Innistrad rolled around it was a lot of fun.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm definitely interested in GR Midrange. Some assortment of Oath of Nissa, Leaf Gilder, Den Protector, Deathmist Raptor, Nissa, Arlinn. Maybe even Surrak the Hunt Caller if you aim to be a little more aggressive.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I hope tribes are strong enough to be viable constructed archetypes. BR vampires and UB zombies both seem fun.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Naya Humans was pretty fun in INN+RtR. New Human Lord is no Mayor of KillMeNow.