MTG thread

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
My LGS has a $1500 semi-annual Invitational I got into this coming Saturday. I have to pick one of these garbage decks. This sucks.
B/W angels was the most interest thing I saw all day today. Having your big spells cost 5+ seems pretty damn good given the spell queller spam.

Delirium looked like ass. U/G/W collected company is probably the "best" right now? Casting CC in response to something to hit queller and eat the spell feels like about the most bullshit that's gonna happen in standard right now.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
I tried to brew a BG colorless emerge deck around Mindbender and Decimator of Provinces. It just got shit on by Reflector Mage. Like most things.

The BW angels looked good but I wonder if it's better than just going straight BW Control? Maybe shave/move Languish to the board and run Planar Outburst to dodge the Queller?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Probably not a bad idea. The games I saw of B/W angels had multiple instances of having to grasp of darkness a queller after casting languish just to get it to resolve. Kinda seems bad.

5 mana feels like its pretty important right now given that what, all but 2 of the top decks from today were running x4 queller? Being in a situation where you were on the play and losing your 4 drop to their 3 mana queller to then eat an attack on their turn is so bad, I'm not sure how you actually recover from that. Playing a big early game heavy with 2 drops and such to kinda stall in to 5+ mana might be the way to do it in an actual control setup.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Agree, the tempo cards are so powerful. It's going to take a much better deckbuilder than me to figure out a midrange deck that can hang with the Bant variants.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Is that because of shipping costs or fraud Arbitrary?
Fraud.

What can happen is the person will claim they didn't get it, you'll have no way of proving they did, and you'll be forced to issue a refund and then be out the cards. You wouldn't necessarily think that would be the case with a modern European country but that's how it is. Every eBay seller I know has that story of the time they got fucked and started screening which countries they were willing to ship to.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Should have probably mentioned that the cards is stuff I dug up in my garage. It's mostly 4th, revised, ice age, homelands and chronicles. The last three of those sets seem fairly worthless. Anyway no list of cards, have to sort through most of the junk before I know who I have. Thanks for the advise.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
You didn't mention it specifically, but if there are some Alliances in there, could turn up a Force of Will.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Have very few alliance cards so far. It's thousands of cards, very tedious. A few dual lands turned up though. Everything nice and mint too.

Also a shit ton of fallen empires cards ugh.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Always nice to find that buried treasure in your closet. Are the duals white or black border?

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
So, I was just catching up on the last two eldritch moon stories they released. Didn't notice before but Brisela uses the term 'Great Work' with regards to Emrakul taking over the plane, i.e. 'the Great Work is almost complete'. Struck me as odd since that's what the phyrexians call what they do, too. I'm starting to think they are hinting at a connection between the eldrazi and phyrexians. Possibly the eldrazi are the original phyrexians/phyrexian gods, or the oil was a byproduct of one of the titans that then created the phyrexian race as a result. Hell, mechanically they share lots of qualities, such as using colorless mana mostly. The next block is in kaladesh, and it's been hinted to have some kind of artifact lore theme, if not actual card mechanics. I could see them tying the two entities together in that storyline or sometime soon.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
You read the novels! NERD.

The SCG Open top 8 isn't too bad. There's a decent amount of variety with a couple very different control decks along with Bant and even a G/R ramp goggles deck. Humans almost made it in and a B/G delirium deck almost made it in.

Still doesn't look like all that fun of a format to play in though.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
I don't see how the Eldrazi could have anything to do with Phyrexia without major retcons or just straight shitting on the only worthwhile story the game has ever told.

Yawgmoth/Thran -> Brother's War -> Tolaria/Bloodline Project -> Legacy/Weatherlight has absolutely no place for the Eldrazi to fit in. I'm sure the two concepts will show up in the same block at some point but there's no way they share any type of origin or history that would make sense.

Phyrexia the plane existed before Yawgmoth but as a "perfect" mechanical ecosystem. Phyrexians themselves originated from Yawgmoth whose story has already been told. There's not really a way to toss eldritch biological horrors into the mix even prior to the established lore. I miss Dominaria
frown.png

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Every time Aintrazi casts the new Emrakul it looks fun.

And its going to be super fun watching him still lose to a topdecked CoCo into Reflector Mage.