MTG thread

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Tawnos Coffin is legit removal in old school. It's a reusable O Ring and a pretty good answer to Serra Angel.

Old School is weird like that. Some shit that was terrible back in the day is pretty good now, like The Hive.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I used to have a book about Vintage from back when the oldest set released was Homelands. It had contributions from I think eight different players each going through their signature deck with some history of the game. There was Brian Weissman with The Deck, I think Henry Stern with Winds of Chains (Winds of Change, Chains of Mephistopheles), Matt Place, Mark Justice, and a few others I just can't remember.

The article on Vercursion, a recursive combo deck involving Verduran Enchantress, Mana Flare, Fast Bond, and Dance of Many was especially cool as it had a history of the very first decks of its type back when you could have four of any card. That's a very specific time period in the history of the game without much written about it. Many of the chapters had similar cool bits of info.

Ratina

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I used to have a book about Vintage from back when the oldest set released was Homelands. It had contributions from I think eight different players each going through their signature deck with some history of the game. There was Brian Weissman with The Deck, I think Henry Stern with Winds of Chains (Winds of Change, Chains of Mephistopheles), Matt Place, Mark Justice, and a few others I just can't remember.

That book sounds awesome, reminds me of the articles in Scrye in the beginning.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I found out the title at least, it's Totally Unauthorized Magic the Gathering by Bradley Games, cover is purple/black. No idea where I stuffed the damn thing.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
My youth nothing, I used it as a reference last year when I was playing the Microprose Duels of the Planeswalkers computer game. I tried to keep my decks sorta era legal.

Rack/Balance with unrestricted Balance was a pretty good deck.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I've got my Weatherlight Set Guide sitting in the other room, just to make sure I'm ready to draft weatherlight again some day.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I won my first piece of power, an Alpha Time Twister, at a Mirage/Visions/Weatherlight sealed event. I traded it back to the store two weeks later for credit.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Also, Tawnos's Coffin is the best magic card. I have an unnatural love for it. Every time I have it out in Hazezon Tamar I can't stop smiling.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
One day I'll actually build a Hazezon Tamar EDH deck. It's so hard for me to not end up building esper.

Pretty sure I have all the duals in fbb for it already. I should probably find my Plateaus.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've got my Weatherlight Set Guide sitting in the other room, just to make sure I'm ready to draft weatherlight again some day.

Slam Gerrard's Wisdom? I can't imagine the aggressive options in Weatherlight are that good.

Sterling

El Presidente
Weatherlight limited was good times. White was the best color since it had the 2 best commons in Empyrial Armor and Heavy Ballista.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
We had EE qualifiers at local shops, but they were NY Old School rules (can play 4 Stripmines!). I ran this nostalgia wagon to an 0-3 drop event.

View attachment 96655
what are the two blue cards under lotus and mox sapphire? I almost recognize the art, but drawing a blank for some reason.
Also, were you only allowed to run 2 ofs max? Couple cards I would have run 4of, such as lightning bolt, and cost doesn't seem like it would have been a problem on them either.

Ratina

what are the two blue cards under lotus and mox sapphire? I almost recognize the art, but drawing a blank for some reason.
Also, were you only allowed to run 2 ofs max? Couple cards I would have run 4of, such as lightning bolt, and cost doesn't seem like it would have been a problem on them either.

It was my first 93-94 deck and I built pretty much what I actually played in 93-94. My second attempt was a B/R Ponza deck (4 Stripmines!) with copper tablets to go with the bolts. It did noticeably better but I don't have a deck pic atm.

Ratina

Found it, it was still more or less together.

OldSkPonz.jpg

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Flying Men, my man.
Ah yes, ok. My brain expected to see unstable mutations as well if they were flying men, then. The super cheese. U/R/B aggro cheese. Filled with such plays as t1 dark rit into hypnotic specter and t1 flying men, t2 unstable mutation and tons of burn.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
A ruling on what? Mechanics? LGS drama?

There's a rules manager at WotC. 99,999 out of 100,000 it has already been addressed and answered. Post it here, you'll probably get some help.

Sorry it took so long to answer this, I've been basically off the internet for a couple weeks.

Ruling on mechanics is what I was asking about, I don't understand what LGS drama is. I wasn't referring to any specific question, just wondering how those rulings get made, how they get brought to the attention of magic to make the rulings. I use an app from WotC to find rulings, so I know where to find them. There was a specific case that made me wonder about it, but I can't remember enough details to ask for help about it now. Someone was trying to infinitely trigger an effect to power up a card when it was obvious to me and my command of the english language that it could only be triggered once per turn. They eloquently claimed "Nuh uh!" and we went to the rulings to see if WotC had anything to say about it. Couldn't find anything on that card or any cards with similar effects.

Like I said, it just made me wonder what it would take to get an official ruling. Like, is there a way to submit them to magic, or do they only look at things that come up in major tournaments? This was a friendly game, so no judges available. I wouldn't let them do the infinite powerup because I reasoned that if it was really legal to use the cards contrary to the wording on the card, there'd be a ruling saying so.