MTG thread

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
You can ask Matt Tabak about a ruling on Twitter, but more likely it's a simple scenario.

Triggers happen once per instance that would trigger something. Activated abilities can be activated as many times as you can pay the cost, provided that it doesn't explicitly say otherwise. There are a lot of infinite combos out there, but most of the time when a newer player (the other guy, not you) thinks he's found something new and cool it's either a misunderstanding of the rules or something everyone already knows.

If you can remember the cards, I might can help a little more.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I'm the new player here. Actually, we were both new, which is why I didn't take their word for it.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
You can ask Matt Tabak about a ruling on Twitter, but more likely it's a simple scenario.

Is that TabakRules? Cause he seems to just be talking about the seahawks.

Here's a different one that the same person told me was a win condition. Exquisite Blood and Sanguine Bond. They claim that when you have both out, if you gain even 1 pt of life, or any opponent loses 1 pt of life, it triggers continuously and can kill the player no matter how much life they started with. They also told me it would only take out one player at a time if playing a multiplayer game. I can see where someone would think that, but the only official ruling I can find about it is on sanguine bond and says "Sanguine Bond’s ability triggers just once for each life-gaining event, whether it’s 1 life from Soul Warden or 8 life from Tendrils of Corruption."

I can't tell from that sentence whether it's allowed to retrigger continuously from Exquisite Blood. If it is, then I can't figure out how it can only take out one opponent. Seems like once you get the first person down to 0 life, you should be able to turn the next trigger onto a new opponent.

Sanguine-Bond.jpg
Exquisite-Blood.jpg

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yeah it really works like that. It triggers every time.

To clarify: each trigger from Exquisite Blood is a separate life gain event. That's why Sanguine Blood triggers over and over. It only kills one opponent at a time because it only targets one opponent. Once that one is dead, sure, you can use the next trigger on another target opponent.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
OK, so it's one opponent at a time, but once it starts, it doesn't stop until everyone is dead or someone plays something that can stop it, right?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yep, it'll keep going until it's out of valid targets (opponents). It'd take something like a summary dismissal to stop the triggers from firing once it begins.

Destroying either of the enchantments can potentially work, but that is vulnerable to them having something that causes life gain/loss in response to your removal thus starting the whole chain again and killing people before your removal resolves.

Summary Dismissal fixes it, at least for a single instance of life/gain or loss; they'd need some way to restart the chain again. Same for things like Trickbind or Stifle. Angel's Grace doesn't do it because loss of life is different from damage.

There's also some card I think that just says the current turn ends? I can't remember the name, but that'd buy time as well.

Last edited:

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Time Stop
Instant
End the turn.

Best foil, takes away the book of reminder text.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I saw a card yesterday that said it could be tapped to be used as an interrupt. Would that work too? I couldn't figure out when you'd want a card like that.

I didn't realize destroying one of them wouldn't work. I need to study the stack some more I guess.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I saw a card yesterday that said it could be tapped to be used as an interrupt. Would that work too? I couldn't figure out when you'd want a card like that.

I didn't realize destroying one of them wouldn't work. I need to study the stack some more I guess.

It does work, destroying one of them. But only if they don't have a way to trigger them again. It would go like this: they gain a life, triggering sanguine blood > you respond to the sanguine blood trigger with disenchant to kill exquisite blood > at this point either disenchant resolves and it breaks the chain OR if they have a way to gain life again, it'll trigger sanguine blood, then exquisite, and go "infinite" and kill all opponents before the stack ever gets back to resolving your disenchant.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Anyone mess with cockatrice ? Chaos draft and new set drafts pretty fun to play in between baby chaos

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I think it magically sets itself and cards up. Look up wooglworks site and follow instructions. If I can do it then it's probably easy.

I like it, got home smashed last night and played a vintage cube draft. Dude dropped a black lotus on me and a 3/4 first turn. Good times

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Never used cockatrice, only xmage, but it's all pretty easy and has enough active players to dick around with pretty easily.