MTG thread

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
MTGO is not that bad, you guys are salty as fuck.

"We're going to have leagues up and running soon..."
(a year later)
(a year later)
(a year later)
"Hey, leagues are here, but we got rid of all the stuff that actually made them fun and interesting..."

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well, they made leagues something completely different, basically, to meet the current needs of the playerbase. It's just a matchmaking queue instead of swiss.

They did make those silly 9-round sealed leagues for the people who want some longer-term engagement with a league.

Tinger

Golden Squire
Well, they made leagues something completely different, basically, to meet the current needs of the playerbase. It's just a matchmaking queue instead of swiss.

They did make those silly 9-round sealed leagues for the people who want some longer-term engagement with a league.
Thanks for reminding me, I have to login to liquidate.
I'll post a big list here if anybody is interested in electronic cardboard.

Vaclav

Sure... ruining the fact that they'd actually run for a week per phase and being able to play tiebreakers as much as you wanted (practically speaking), reasonable size, good payouts, etc.

Old leagues were awesome - new leagues are just a Tournament you play on your own schedule.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Starcity offering 50% trade bonus currently, which maths out to being pretty good on some stuff if you looking to unload. Their buylist prices even counting the 50% on standard cards are a bit meh still, but certain things are decent. Higher end stuff has some great offers though with the 50% extra. Paying $135 for the Ancient Tomb, $90 for In The Eye of Chaos etc. ~$470 for this pile of untradeable crap seems great to me.

wospwxs.png

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Those lands are so comically over priced. But that's what we get when they refuse to print more duals that don't etbt in newer sets with some kind of check or insist on staggering out the enemy and ally colors.

I also want one of those Angels of Invention for a token / counters deck, but they price spiked so hard when the block rotation to Ixalan happened that I missed out.

Vaclav

I gets mah boardgames and LCGs fresh!

Nifty - any word on Fallout being a one-off or inevitable expansion track? Liked the first play tonight, but seems like it really needs to be expanded upon. (95% sure being FFG there's 18 expansions planned already though)

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Starcity offering 50% trade bonus currently, which maths out to being pretty good on some stuff if you looking to unload. Their buylist prices even counting the 50% on standard cards are a bit meh still, but certain things are decent. Higher end stuff has some great offers though with the 50% extra. Paying $135 for the Ancient Tomb, $90 for In The Eye of Chaos etc. ~$470 for this pile of untradeable crap seems great to me.

The zendikar expedition tomb has seen consistent and respectable gains for quite some time.

Ancient Tomb (Magic Card: Zendikar Expeditions) | MagicCardMarket

Seems far to early to sell those, unless they reprint the expedition version I see them hitting 300$ by the end of 2018. That's not even considering a buy-out, with 60 of them listed on MCM, there is a very really chance 50 of those will be bought and price increased to 175 €.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Magic is not an investment vehicle.

plenty of things are not an investment vehicle, that doesn't mean you have to disregard the financial implications of decisions made

only retards make that argument, grats on baiting me

the cheapest tomb on MCM is 165$, if you think selling that card for 135$ equals a good deal "because MTG is not an investment vehicle", well, I hope you have an adult to manage your finances

Last edited:

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The only two sales of it in the past month on ebay were for 120 and 80. Just because it's listed all over the place at 150 on MCM doesn't mean it's moving at that price, nor does have it any real relevance to someone form the US (me) looking to unload one.

By your logic you should never sell or trade any cards that hint an upward price trend because of some nebulous future gains? Come on man, I know you're a salty old legacy neckbeard, but try and have some perspective about the larger game.

I've done the whole shtick of carefully curating my collection, watching all the prices like a hawk, buying up staples that I think will move, and you know what? It's exhausting and pointless if you're any kind of reasonable adult with a reasonable adult income. I could probably get more than the $8 SCG is paying for my botanical sanctums if I listed them on ebay, I'm well aware of that. But good lord can I not express how little interest I have in shipping out a dozen smaller packages over the course of weeks to make 10-20% more on my cards.

So yes, ultimately I could maybe get more than $135 for an ancient tomb, but if you can't see the value of the convenience of a place to unload a stack of garbage and turn it in to something useful then I don't know what to tell you.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>

you claimed it was a pile of untradeable crap

i just wanted to point out how you were wrong about that, you got underpayed on a card that has consistently been raising, because its desired in pimp legacy decks as the most expensive version of it ... it's a land so thats a great start, and on top of that it is so strong it is unlikely to ever become outdated because a stronger land gets printed.. "nebulous future gains"?

we weren't discussing an 8$ card

you got a shit deal on that card, thats about it

Last edited:

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
you claimed it was a pile of untradeable crap

i just wanted to point out how you were wrong about that, you got underpayed on a card that has consistently been raising, because its desired in pimp legacy decks as the most expensive version of it ... it's a land so thats a great start, and on top of that it is so strong it is unlikely to ever become outdated because a stronger land gets printed.. "nebulous future gains"?

we weren't discussing an 8$ card

you got a shit deal on that card, thats about it

Did I though? There are multiple copies on TCGplayer right now for $135 or less shipped; the card is simply not worth the ~$150 pricetag people are trying to peg it at.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
indeed, and the cheapest one shipping to europe is 151$, lightly played (i bet the dog only bit it once)

fortunately for SCG, they do know how to ship cards to europe

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So you're suggesting I try and mail a single card to someplace overseas for a ~15$ higher sale price? You and I have very different values on our free time I guess.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
The cost to ship internationally, in a reasonable time frame, will eat half that extra profit.

I ran an online card store for awhile, and even i think getting 135 for a card sellinf at 150 on tcg is a great deal, especially for a non-dealer.
When id sell a card for 150 on tcg, id probably only clear 130-135 after tcg fees, paypal fees, and shipping costs.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
well, or if you focus on higher priced/reserved list cards. It's orders of magnitude harder to invest in standard, modern and even some legacy cards and turn a profit. Especially since WotC started reprinting lots of staples the last few years in various products. Is it possible? Sure, but most people lose money doing it without a storefront of some type (online counts).

For every person that 'called' a card like jace, vryn's prodigy before it's spike, you have a hundred people who lost money speculating on some other card that didn't pan out or got reprinted.