MTG thread

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I have a pile of cards to get rid of myself and anything that isn't over $10 is probably an absolute waste of time getting moving without setting up a shop. Those above $10 are frequently going to be called out as a fake if I use ebay or anywhere else so that people can get their money back and keep the card.

It's a frustrating place to be for sure.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea it's just the pointless faffery version, but legacy kids love that shit for whatever reason.

I'm in the same boat @a_skeleton_03; I've been pretty heavy in to standard the past 18 months or so and just have mountains of shit in the like $2-5 range that's just been impossible to offload. SCG with their 50% bonus has typically been at ~80-85% of TCG low for anything worth more than a dollar though so I'm considering just dumping everything I own from standard on them. We'll see how this first batch goes as I've never actually buylisted anything to them, but if it's pretty painless I may just out of standard for a bit and shore up missing pieces of my modern pile.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Dump it on a buylist and sink it into pretty much anything reserved. It doesn't have to be something amazing, it just can't be reprintable.

Get the hell out of expeditions. There will always be another promo foil down the line. If you have to have a fancy version of something, get the first pack printing. Avoid foils unless you're really disciplined about keeping them from curling. You can sleeve those beta cards up and shuffle forever, but a weekend tournament is going to curl an expedition until you lose money.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Dump it on a buylist and sink it into pretty much anything reserved. It doesn't have to be something amazing, it just can't be reprintable.

Get the hell out of expeditions. There will always be another promo foil down the line. If you have to have a fancy version of something, get the first pack printing. Avoid foils unless you're really disciplined about keeping them from curling. You can sleeve those beta cards up and shuffle forever, but a weekend tournament is going to curl an expedition until you lose money.
Yeah I am selling for a friend who has no clue at all what to do and have some sealed and also a ton of random years also. I sold some of the big ticket cards to a friend who trust me and I trust him. Now I have all the rest to go through. I am spending all weekend cataloging it so I can post here for anyone that wants a few of the cards that are $50+ and then the rest I am hoping to find a place that will just buy it all.

He has two or three very large boxes of unopened sleeves, that's the kind of hoarding collection I am dealing with. He sleeved every card from a recent set to include the commons, probably 1k cards sleeved ....

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Is this the same guy from awhile ago you posted about? Or are you crazy enough to do all that for a 2nd friend? :)

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Take it to a vendor at a GP and they'll sort it for you. They won't buy it without itemizing anything expensive you claim is there anyway, so there's no point in doing it yourself. Just tell em it's not bulk and they'll go through it.

There's almost always a fat guy behind a laptop willing to shuffle through unknown cards.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Where in your process are you leveraging MTG Manager – Android Apps on Google Play or one of the similar apps?

Seems like touching cards multiple times to sort THEN digitize is a lot of extra work (assuming the trash to treasure ratio's not too horrible. If 95% of the cards are bulk, sure sorting them out and away first is the way to go)

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Where in your process are you leveraging MTG Manager – Android Apps on Google Play or one of the similar apps?

Seems like touching cards multiple times to sort THEN digitize is a lot of extra work (assuming the trash to treasure ratio's not too horrible. If 95% of the cards are bulk, sure sorting them out and away first is the way to go)
I had my kids sort them by rarity and now I am scanning them with that app :D

I made a binder of the ones I knew ahead of time were worth $10 or more.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I wouldnt ever do that. From the few vids ive watched of him buying collections, if it isnt reserved list hes not even as competitive as card kingdom or scg. Which, i totally get his position there. But, he's not buying/selling as many cards as most card shops. Hes holding bigger ticket items long term.
You sell him a $20 modern staple, he offers like 8 because hes not sure if he will move it before it drops. Plus, all the extra labor he has to do on singles in general.
Big sites like cardkingdom are dealing in much higher volume of singles. They are more likely to sell it quickly and already have the infrastructure in place to ship all that stuff every day

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had my kids sort them by rarity and now I am scanning them with that app :D

I made a binder of the ones I knew ahead of time were worth $10 or more.

Hell, I've been out long enough to forget they color-coded the expansion symbol. so, yeh, rarity's dead simple. Was flashing back to the old shit where you'd either have to know, or have to look up the rarities anyways.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
So you're suggesting I try and mail a single card to someplace overseas for a ~15$ higher sale price? You and I have very different values on our free time I guess.

I'm sure you make terrible deals all the time, most people are bad at trading.

Do carry on to boast about the great deals SCG is offering though, its quite entertaining. Do you think they are offering these great deals just to please you? Or perhaps because they, unlike you, do understand the current and future value of this specific card? Must be altruism I am sure.

For every person that 'called' a card like jace, vryn's prodigy before it's spike, you have a hundred people who lost money speculating on some other card that didn't pan out or got reprinted.

Indeed, most people are terrible.

Its pretty hard to buy guaranteed winners like Tabernacle, especially when people like me post about it in this thread, and such advice is met with hostility, just like the remark that selling that ancient tomb was a shitty deal.

Will bump the thread in 3 months to point out just how shitty of a deal it was.

Last edited:

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Tabernacle is gold. Been gold for a while. Pretty much anything reserved and playable in legacy is a can't miss.

Personally I don't really give a shit about anything that isn't reserved or has a 93/94 legal printing. Those cards are inherently rare due to printing limitations, so the collector value isn't just tied to the game. Hell, 93/94 isn't even an official format and it's still managed to jack the price of things like Juzam through the roof. I should have bought every fucking card in the format 4 years ago.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Indeed, most people are terrible.

Its pretty hard to buy guaranteed winners like Tabernacle, especially when people like me post about it in this thread, and such advice is met with hostility, just like the remark that selling that ancient tomb was a shitty deal.

Will bump the thread in 3 months to point out just how shitty of a deal it was.
and? What's your point exactly? That anyone with any magic cards should be a mtg finance expert? If they were, the few people who put in the time/effort to keep on top of these things wouldn't make any money.
Even if Ancient Tomb goes up to 200 in 3 months, you'd have to compare that with what the 135 got him TODAY. If he trades it in for some dual lands he needs and gets to play with for 3 months, how do you calculate that value?

You sound like a mechanic complaining that people who don't fix their own cars are all idiots. Yet, if they all did, he wouldn't have a job, and not everyone wants to spend the time and effort on something they don't want to do.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
continue to enjoy the great deals scg offers, and don't forget to subscrible / like their channel!