MTG thread

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Yeah, because there was no financial motivation for this chick to suddenly make a big emotional scene... whoops

IMG_3312.PNG

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The fun part is, everyone's patreon has probably spiked from this. Whether it's Jeremy "Defending free speech!" or the Professor doing his best manipulative emotional acting (check the way he consistently directs his gaze in his video on the whole deal. His mannerisms are designed to evoke sympathy/pity). It's why internet shitheads of all flavors love having public "beefs" with other shitheads. Each shithead has their fanbase go into MUST PROTEC, BUT ALSO ATTAC mode and you get money/views/people-sucking-your-dick pouring in.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Nothing of value was lost but now WotC has signaled that they are going to have to monitor social media of all types and you better agree with their opinion or they will take thousands of dollars of your digital collection away from you.

Banning him from live play at events was one thing. Removing his MTGO account .... different ball of wax entirely.

They don't want him as a customer. He wanted to be the Mtg Milo and he got his wish. Boo hoo.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well I was looking through some old MTG cards I had with eye to selling them. So I went to youtube to check up on that MTG scene and what a shit storm I run into. Watching events play out over past week I come to assumption that MTG wont go the way of gaming. The players are to capitalistic in nature to allow it. Then WoTC bans the guy with 150k subs and sends MTG into a full gamergate style event.

WoTC is most imbecilic company imaginable to have not simply let this pass. Instead they have chosen to incite the player base against them. It really does occur to me that the player can simply refuse to buy new WoTC product and shift play types to older still WoTC products that wont reward WoTC. Thats not a sound move pissing people of when they do have the ability to hurt your bottom line.

I guess ill have to sale cards now and not hold onto them. I feel bad for poor store owners who are going to get screwed by this.

Siddar

They don't want him as a customer. He wanted to be the Mtg Milo and he got his wish. Boo hoo.

I agree he has engineered these events taking advantage of known social justice warrior tactics and weakness to play the victim.

That's how stupid WoTC has been here they're not hurting him a single bit instead they're hurting themselves.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
The slippery slope argument is always bullshit. 'where will it end?' Where it ends, that's where, and it always DOES end. It gets to a point where most people disagree, and then it stops.
The vast majority of the community did not like him, did not want him representing the game, and did not like him being in the community. That was BEFORE he stirred the pot on this. He wanted to push the boundaries for views, and he got his wish. Now he gets to deal with the repercussions.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
He'll get a short term boost in views, but his legitimacy as a 'magic player' is going to erode if he can't play sanctioned live events or online. He'll cater to a smaller and smaller niche until eventually, he either quits or will pivot away from being a 'magic youtuber', and that's fine.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The slippery slope argument is always bullshit. 'where will it end?' Where it ends, that's where, and it always DOES end. It gets to a point where most people disagree, and then it stops.
The vast majority of the community did not like him, did not want him representing the game, and did not like him being in the community. That was BEFORE he stirred the pot on this. He wanted to push the boundaries for views, and he got his wish. Now he gets to deal with the repercussions.
The issue is that they took away “his” valuable online collection. That is the slippery slope and it’s a very valid discussion.

Pretend for a minute that he wasn’t a toxic piece of garbage. He makes a video exposing star city games for knowingly selling counterfeits. Totally rips into them and creates a firestorm. WotC gets pressure and takes his entire online account away.

Maybe he has video of a popular tournament player cheating and posts that. What if it’s also a fan favorite female player? What if it’s someone he has had a grudge with in the past but the video is still legit? What if he has proof that MaRo sexually harassed a player?

He is a toxic piece of garbage. I dislike him. As bad as he is not a single other person involved in this entire thing is clean. Every single one of them have verbiage in their videos that could be compared.

It’s like I tell the moderator staff on this forum. If you are going to ban or punish someone you better have the paperwork done. You better be ready for the fallout. You better be prepared to punish for that “crime” for the rest of your life.

They just banned a guy and stole his entire digital library over some mob mentality and hurry words.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siddar

He'll get a short term boost in views, but his legitimacy as a 'magic player' is going to erode if he can't play sanctioned live events or online. He'll cater to a smaller and smaller niche until eventually, he either quits or will pivot away from being a 'magic youtuber', and that's fine.

I agree he was sort of unlikable but that is from looking at him as professional presenter. He got to those subscriptions because he wasn't viewed as a professional presenter though. He way of speaking and mannerisms do convey a true nerd bro that in fact is seemly more legit too jaded and cynical people. And he is exploiting that nerd cred to it fullest here. He has copied Anita's play book masterfully. It's a common tactic amongst the anti sjw side these days.

He will cater to a larger and larger audience. He is already being picked up upon in larger anti sjw community at least for the next year. He is also redpilling many MTG players and will gain audience from that. As long as he can keep the fire hot on the issue he will be making money.

Longterm is the question if he can outgrow his nerdish mannerisms to solidify as a longterm presence on youtube.

Last edited:

Vaclav

Nothing of value was lost but now WotC has signaled that they are going to have to monitor social media of all types and you better agree with their opinion or they will take thousands of dollars of your digital collection away from you.

Banning him from live play at events was one thing. Removing his MTGO account .... different ball of wax entirely.

I'd be surprised if it's actually a 100% ban on MTGO - I've heard of them throwing the term around before but it was actually just putting the account on a lockdown for talking and playing - but still giving the person a chance to trade their stuff away to get value back. (although w/o chat so most bots wouldn't work)

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I'd be surprised if it's actually a 100% ban on MTGO - I've heard of them throwing the term around before but it was actually just putting the account on a lockdown for talking and playing - but still giving the person a chance to trade their stuff away to get value back. (although w/o chat so most bots wouldn't work)
I read that they straight up deleted his account which is not acceptable to me.

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
Hypocrisy: Statement – De-Certification of Canadian L3

L3 judge demoted to normal player after repeated sexual harassment at MTG events. He can re-apply *only if* sufficient time has passed and he has shown positive change.

he can re-apply

a guy who actually harassed people in person at MTG sanctioned events

hahahahahah

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Well, that isn't a decision directly from wotc. Judges have their own internal review council shit.

But more importantly, he wasn't a public figure with a youtube channel so no one cares.

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
Well, that isn't a decision directly from wotc. Judges have their own internal review council shit.

But more importantly, he wasn't a public figure with a youtube channel so no one cares.
I'll be sure to stick to in-person harassment and not take it to Youtube so I can keep my MTGO account.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Vaclav

I read that they straight up deleted his account which is not acceptable to me.

Only from him thusfar though, no? I don't see WOTC's take yet.

People in positions like him have been known to make things sound more dramatic for attention in the past.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Am I the only one that doesn't even know what happened to :trigger: this all in the first place?

Who said what to whom?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Am I the only one that doesn't even know what happened to :trigger: this all in the first place?

Who said what to whom?

MTGHQ basically makes his fanbase off shitting on people in youtube videos. He shit on some cosplay chick a lot for being an attention whore and whatever else, she got ultra buttmad and "quit" mtg cosplay because he was "harassing" her (we're talking 2017 definition of harassment here, IE a lot of hurty words on the internet). He's a fucking mongoloid neckbeard that un-ironically posts terrible pepe memes and she's the same kind of "professional" cosplay that they all are and subsists off e-begging, so basically everyone involved is a waste of space.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users