MTG thread

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
The video is about WotC dropping duel decks and going back to something slightly more competitive in pre-con form. So he's comparing it to the past pre-cons that didn't gargle donkey balls value wise.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't watch these youtube personalities why does he keep putting modern event decks up on his bookshelf? Is that part of the joke?

Yes its part of the act. But I've never seen him go after wizards of the coasts this hard. It's a subtle change in his actions very recently. He has gone from funny criticism with over the top but good natured ribbing. To very harsh critcism.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
He's just salty the pallets of Dark Ascension and whatever other garbage sets he bought haven't turned in to 400$ each like Zendikar did.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
MTG finance guys remind me of my dad. When I was a kid, he used to come home with winning lottery tickets all the time. I thought he was the luckiest guy alive. Until I realized he was only showing me the winners.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ratina

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Lost to an 11 year old at Legacy tonight, he was playing budget elves.

But I did teach him to either call Craterhoof 'Kate' or say 'What the hoof' every time he played it. so thats something

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I haven't played played in awhile and years after that, the last one-shot prerelease tournament I participated in was Return to Ravnica's second set (Gatecrash?).
This year, for Christmas, friend from gradeschool and I each bought the other six packs and we played pack battles, a draft, and then constructed out the opened cards.

Was great time. I had two packs of Kaladesh, Amonket, and Ixalan.
I enjoyed the energy mechanic from Kaladesh, but I'm saddened by how it's apparently unfun in tournaments. I bet if there was a third set, it would have been balanced out. I imagine cards that kick if the opponent has energy, in the very least red spells that blow up the counters. In the limited capacity that I was exposed to it, it was refreshing and cool.

Pack battle: blindly shuffle in one of each land and then set aside basic lands in respective stacks. At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a land from the supply on top of your library.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I'm playing Standard for my team at the SCG Open in Dallas on January 20, after being mostly focused on Modern since qualifying in October for the next RPTQ. Hope the new set shakes things up but I assume I'll be playing Sultai Energy with very few changes. Our only hope is there are just some super powerful tribal payoffs in this set, because right now the tribal decks are about 20 cards short of playable.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I hope the merfolk Lord is just a straight up copy paste of Lord of Atlantis , except UG instead of UU.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Opened out of a pack maybe 10 minutes ago and already bordering on being a marked card due to warping/cupping. I guess I'm just 100% done buying any kind of product until they fix this shit?

wd7301B.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Opened out of a pack maybe 10 minutes ago and already bordering on being a marked card due to warping/cupping. I guess I'm just 100% done buying any kind of product until they fix this shit?

wd7301B.jpg

Haven't noticed the issue with unstable yet

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Medium Verdant Force is a neat card.

Khumena feels very designed for EDH. That 5 merfolk requirement on his +1/+1 counter ability is just... not tenable in normal constructed. It's cool that his abilities call back to the tap/untap theme merfolk had back in Lorwyn block though, so I'm on board with him as a commander. Green adds some fun stuff to that theme like Seedborn Muse, Murkfiend Liege, and Quest for the Gemblades (and Awakening, if you're suicidal). Tapping merfolk to hand out hard unblockable may be relevant for standard merfolk though, since we don't have the Islandwalk+Cantrip Island Aura package there.

Elder Bird is garbage, which is sad. Thing's going to be Pterofying in sealed tho.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
By medium verdant force, you mean the tendershoot dryad?
tendershootdryad

It looks potentially strong if the right shell exists around it. Making 3/3's every upkeep gets out of hand reaaaal fast. Whether the right deck exists to support this, and the meta isn't hostile against it, is another question entirely.

The white elder dino is a timmy card for sure. Doubt it's gonna see play in constructed, even in reanimator decks since it doesn't have haste. Maybe it has enough keywords to still be a worthwhile reanimate target, the double strike/lifelink will get you out of some bad spots, but I'd be surprised.

Kumena looks amazing for EDH, but I could easily see him finding his way into modern/legacy merfolk as well. Drawing cards to refill could be very potent, and you can just vial him out so the mana isn't as big a deal.

Not many of the cards stand out so far. Enter the Unknown could see play as a 'bad' explore. Explore was good enough that a bad version might still be playable in standard. Draw a land or scry1 instead of 'draw a card' for one mana less isn't bad. Sure, you aren't playing it turn 1, but the reduced mana lets you do other things along with it on turn 2+. Maybe the inconsistency of not knowing if you'll draw or pump you creature holds it back, but it looks good enough in a vacuum

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Everything they've spoiled so far sucks. The only vaguely interesting card is the 3/4 dinosaur pridemage. Everything else looks like garbage from a commander set.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
The elder dinos are at least flavor wins, and the white one has a fun suite of abilities. I just wish it 8/8 first strike rather than 4/8 double strike so it could stop a Griselbrand.