MTG thread

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Meh, will probably be in the FAQ one way or the other.

Amused at commander players being pissy that the 3-Headed Hydra's Red Ability doesn't damage players. Oh no, you'll have to find a second card to turn your 900 mana off Zacama into a one-shot.

Last edited:

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
And Lotus Vale already jumps to $45, lol. Scorched Ruins going up too.

I doubt anything real comes out of it, since Blood Sun is a unique effect and the cards are too ungood on their own merits. But due to being reserved list, even when prices subside back, they're unlikely to go back down to $6.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
They spiked once before already and then went down. I don't think either one will end up seeing any play. It's too cute.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
They changed that specifically when Ixalan launched in a rules update. Replacement effects get blanked by stuff like blood/sun moon now, shocklands come in untapped without paying life, cavern of souls doesn't get to pick a creature type, karoo lands enter untapped and don't bounce anything etc.

This is still a really dumb change by Eli, imo. The whole point of replacement effects are that they happen before ETB.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
This is all just setting up the Tron ban from Modern. Or maybe Blood Moon. After R/G tron dominated next PT. I wish they would just ban all of 9th edition.

Tron, Blood Moon, Bridge all gone.

Last edited:

SirJames

Golden Squire
And Lotus Vale already jumps to $45, lol. Scorched Ruins going up too.

I doubt anything real comes out of it, since Blood Sun is a unique effect and the cards are too ungood on their own merits. But due to being reserved list, even when prices subside back, they're unlikely to go back down to $6.

Yea a lot of the power of black lotus is because it can come down turn 1 and/or is a artifact. Having to pay 3 mana to turn something into a black lotus isn’t really a competitive play. For casual EDH sure. But too slow in modern and not powerful enough in legacy.

Having said that, I think Blood Sun will be a good, playable card, similar to what Blood Moon is now.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Most of the 5 color lands become drawback free.
How's that? And which ones are you referring to? Mana confluence type 5 color lands? Youd still pay a life for those, its part of the cost. I suppose it buffs city of brass since that one is trigger from getting tapped. Its always been a weird one. The newer ones that have the drawback as part of the cost will still work normally.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
I could get behind an Ensnaring Bridge ban. It wouldn't even have to be bridge, just kill Lantern thanks! If you want to play non-interactive magic you could still play Storm.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea a lot of the power of black lotus is because it can come down turn 1 and/or is a artifact. Having to pay 3 mana to turn something into a black lotus isn’t really a competitive play. For casual EDH sure. But too slow in modern and not powerful enough in legacy.

Having said that, I think Blood Sun will be a good, playable card, similar to what Blood Moon is now.

I think there's room for dragon stompy to try it out in legacy. They already run city of traitors, which looks real sexy turn 1 with city > mox/simian > blood sun > T2 play lotus vale and cast a 5 drop, or chalice + trinisphere or something.

The cute land interactions won't be good enough ultimately, but casting blood sun off city of traitors will likely be pretty real.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
How's that? And which ones are you referring to? Mana confluence type 5 color lands? Youd still pay a life for those, its part of the cost. I suppose it buffs city of brass since that one is trigger from getting tapped. Its always been a weird one. The newer ones that have the drawback as part of the cost will still work normally.
City of Brass, Forbidden Orchard, Forsaken City, Glimmervoid, Grand Coliseum, Rupture Spire, Transguild Promenade are the things it just turns into normal 5 color lands. Not something I'd ever build a deck around, but I've seen dirty, dirty budget EDH manabases in my day that would :D

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Wouldn't grand coliseum still damage you? The 2nd ability is still a 'mana ability' just with an extra portion to it. It'd come into play untapped, at least.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is the upcoming core set a good time to get back into it? I really haven't played since 4th edition.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Is the upcoming core set a good time to get back into it? I really haven't played since 4th edition.

Depends what you want to play? If you wanna play standard then it doesn't really matter when you get back in; standard prices are at nearly all-time lows and you can build competitive decks for <100$. Limited is always gonna be limited.

No one really knows what's gonna happen with the new core set since they haven't made one in a while. It could be another M12 type thing with 2-3 allstar cards and the rest is filler.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Core sets are generally when standard feels like it rebalances itself, but we're in a new era with the single set large blocks starting with Dominaria.

Honestly, the best time to jump in and play is whenever you feel like it. You're going to feel really lost with different card types than you remember and a bunch of new rules. Borrow something from a friend and go have fun.

In other news, I'm now 38/40 for black border duals. After that, I'm literally out of shit to bother acquiring. It's down to silly things like beta Shivans.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

This is obviously the best part of MTG event coverage.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Meanwhile at SCG. Patrick Sullivan just taking a huge steaming shit on the playdesign team.