MTG thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
of course, thats outdated

the currently correct pitch is "i've been a feminist neckbeard since 2015"

You got inside sources at WotC?

Nope and its been a while since I knew anyone that worked at carta mundi.

I do however keep track of their official statements. What do you base your vision on, besides being a fanboi? This kind of bullshit is new and unseen, and it will bring the game down. Their policies suck, social, financial, product, you name it.

It is amazing how they could print cards in 1995 that, given proper care, still look gem-mint these days, but they can't print a fucking foil 20 years later that doesn't look like a premature pringle, even if it's booster fresh. (actually they can and and have, but cuz reasons continue the pringle-print)

Really, anyone that likes the game and defends the current situation is a retard.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
As someone who currently only plays EDH and wants to branch out a bit more, what are folks thoughts on going into modern vs. standard? I'm a more casual player and don't really have any delusions of winning regularly, just looking to get some more Magic time in during the week. Currently leaning towards standard just because it's free at my LGS (not that the modern night is expensive). Modern seems nicer in terms of more flexibility in decks I can build, but I have no idea what the meta is in either format. Thoughts?

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider

If you don't like the game, fuck off to some other thread. You won't be missed.

Koushirou:
Standard is pretty wide open with all the bannings just taking place. If you aren't going to brew I'd probably wait a week or two and see how the meta shakes out.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
As someone who currently only plays EDH and wants to branch out a bit more, what are folks thoughts on going into modern vs. standard? I'm a more casual player and don't really have any delusions of winning regularly, just looking to get some more Magic time in during the week. Currently leaning towards standard just because it's free at my LGS (not that the modern night is expensive). Modern seems nicer in terms of more flexibility in decks I can build, but I have no idea what the meta is in either format. Thoughts?

Depends a lot on how much cash you're willing to spend.

Modern is definitely more open (in general) for fringe or tier 2 strategies, and even pretty janky piles can win with some decent draws and matchups. Mono red skred/prison just won a big-ish SCG event for example, and that deck is pants. Hard to say what standard will look like for the next few months with the recent bannings and no large events scheduled for the foreseeable future. It will take a while for the best strategies to solidify, so at least for now standard is a pretty open field, but take that with a grain of salt as they just had to ban a bunch of cards to make it happen and the past ~6 months have been basically one deck at tier 0, with everything else fighting over tier 1-2 spots.

You can play semi-competitive standard for like 100-150$ per deck (sometimes more depending on what you want to play), but it will rotate fairly quickly or maybe get banned because lol design. Once the cards rotate or are banned 99% of them will become literal bulk rares or whatever, so you you need to be okay with needing to refresh your standard deck every 6 months or so depending on what rotates and how the meta changes.

Modern, depending on the cards you already own, will be a relatively large initial investment. Some of the cheaper decks like burn or tron can be bought in their entirety for ~500-700$, while the more expensive decks like G/B/x tarmogoyf piles or deaths shadow decks can easily hit ~1200-1400$. Your "investment" in a deck is a fair bit safer here as things won't rotate, and are banned far less often (and when bans do happen they are typically not aimed at removing an entire deck from the metagame like they are in standard, mostly just weakening it). You have the potential to lose some of the value of your deck depending on what gets reprinted in various masters sets, but even then the prices tend to recover over time for the most part.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
If you don't like the game, fuck off to some other thread. You won't be missed.

pretty sure the same applies to you, my opinion, and this forum

basically, standard cards rotate pretty fast and 99% becomes completely worthless after rotation, while modern has a high entry price and slower yet consistent devaluation of cards due to the reprints

as a casual player you should not invest in competitive decks in these formats, your deck will be outdated and will lose value before you master it

go legacy or stick to EDH, those formats don't swing as often

Last edited:
  • 1Picard

Heylel

Trakanon Raider

Pick something with a decent turnout at your local shop each week with players you can stand. The financials of either format are incidental to whether or not you have people to play with and enjoy it. Once that's covered, the rest grows organically.

Personally I find more enjoyment in formats the further back they go. I'd rather play modern over standard, legacy over modern, and vintage over legacy. They each have their pros and cons though.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I definitely miss my old play group back home. Bunch of salty old fuckers who only showed up on the night they allowed beer.

These days I skip the middleman and play in a bar where everyone has tech company money.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
EDH has been the best thing to happen to the regular constructed formats. All the actual ham planets, neck beards, and human dumpster fires that don't shower all have gravitated to EDH and can be safely quarantined in their own corner on their own night to have their autistic slap fights.

Normal human beings that enjoy a hobby don't have to deal with it anymore, aside from the occasional screech from the basement stairs that filters up to us.

• 1Worf

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Does anyone know of some good streamers that did a bunch of Vintage Cube this last go around? I got really into watching Numot do a bunch in the last month or so, but I ran through all of those, and I get real bored watching him do PUBG and RIX drafts. I love to watch the stupid busted decks slowly come together.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
EDH has been the best thing to happen to the regular constructed formats. All the actual ham planets, neck beards, and human dumpster fires that don't shower all have gravitated to EDH and can be safely quarantined in their own corner on their own night to have their autistic slap fights.

Normal human beings that enjoy a hobby don't have to deal with it anymore, aside from the occasional screech from the basement stairs that filters up to us.

EDH is legitimately fun as long as you don't play it in game stores. It's like a pen and paper roleplaying game: enjoyed only at home in the company of close friends. Playing at a store is a recipe for disaster.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
EDH at my LGS is pretty hit or miss. We've found some legitimately cool people to play with, but holy shit have we found some pure asshole aspies that we just refuse to play with anymore. Some folks just come in there with decks that do nothing but stall with no win-con whatsoever, or folks playing some ridiculous recursion deck and taking 30 minute turns. I don't care about winning or not; it's a casual night, there's no prizes, etc., I just want to be able to play the game for the short amount of time we get to do it every week. I do love the format, though. I've got 6 decks currently (aura Sigarda, Obzedat, Arahbo cats, Naya wolves/werewolves w/Marath, Niv-Mizzet, and angry Omnath) and working on 2 more (naya dinosaurs and some kind of Azor sphinx tribal) which will probably be my limit for now. My decks definitely aren't fantastic or competitive or anything, but they're fun to play which is all I really care about. We get a couple of free promos whenever we go as well, which is nice since my collection's not particularly awesome and I can't complain about getting free shiny/full art cards.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
LSV has a few good ones this time around on Channelfireball's YouTube. Gaby Spartz recorded a bunch with LSV where he basically tells her what to do the entire draft. She's a little obnoxious and LSV is less serious about playing when shes around, but they are okay.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
EDH at my LGS is pretty hit or miss. We've found some legitimately cool people to play with, but holy shit have we found some pure asshole aspies that we just refuse to play with anymore. Some folks just come in there with decks that do nothing but stall with no win-con whatsoever, or folks playing some ridiculous recursion deck and taking 30 minute turns. I don't care about winning or not; it's a casual night, there's no prizes, etc., I just want to be able to play the game for the short amount of time we get to do it every week. I do love the format, though. I've got 6 decks currently (aura Sigarda, Obzedat, Arahbo cats, Naya wolves/werewolves w/Marath, Niv-Mizzet, and angry Omnath) and working on 2 more (naya dinosaurs and some kind of Azor sphinx tribal) which will probably be my limit for now. My decks definitely aren't fantastic or competitive or anything, but they're fun to play which is all I really care about. We get a couple of free promos whenever we go as well, which is nice since my collection's not particularly awesome and I can't complain about getting free shiny/full art cards.

I have an EDH deck building addiction, have 21 built and another 5 planned out. But also have my vintage and legacy deck (building a 2nd legacy deck now), was thinking of maybe getting into modern just don't know yet.

Last edited:

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
Does anyone know of some good streamers that did a bunch of Vintage Cube this last go around? I got really into watching Numot do a bunch in the last month or so, but I ran through all of those, and I get real bored watching him do PUBG and RIX drafts. I love to watch the stupid busted decks slowly come together.

Frank Lepore has someting like 25 Vintage cube drafts on his Youtube. I enjoy watching him, he was one of my favorites from Channel Fireball but he seems to be doing his own thing these days. He streams on twitch pretty regularly lately as well.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I have an EDH deck building addiction, got 21 built and another 5 planned out. But also have my vintage and legacy deck (building a 2nd legacy deck now), was thinking of maybe getting into modern just don't know yet.

I've got the EDH deck building addiction too. It's just fun seeing what you can pull together/make work using the full body of Magic cards. I've been sticking to one deck per color combo, mostly to rein in the cost of manabases.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Some folks just come in there with decks that do nothing but stall with no win-con whatsoever, or folks playing some ridiculous recursion deck and taking 30 minute turns.

both sound like the old countertop control in legacy

a guy at my lgs playing it drawed 3 times and dropped after losing the 4th round in a tournament

also, high tide