Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
ancient tomb is a 30$ uncommon from tempest, reanimate 12$

enlightened and worldly tutor are 10$ each uncommons from same set as Lions eye

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I haven't played MTG in years. I got my DCI card in 1995 to be able to play in Pro Tour 2 on the Queen Mary and then played in a few more pro tours until I got a "real job" in 1997 and quit playing. In 2004 the national championship was a 3 hour drive away so I drove there and played in a qualifier, wound up winning and got to play in the national tournament. That got me re-interested for a little while and I started buying some booster boxes so that I could do some sealed or draft with some buddies but it didn't last long, most of the boxes wound up thrown in a closet.

I was on Youtube and stumbled on this guy Rudy from Alpha Investments, watched some of his videos, realized that some of this stuff is worth crazy money and then decided to dig through the closet to see just what I had in there and if it was worth anything. Pics below. Is there a way to get hold of this Rudy guy to sell him what I have got or is that the wrong approach? I could try going to some local stores here in town but I doubt they would pay much for this, maybe I'm wrong though.

koJxqOO.jpg

iXAELOO.jpg

Since no one else has mentioned it, that playmat in your pic is actually worth a fair chunk of change as well. Looks like a world championship mat? If it's in as good of condition as it looks there is a market for those old accessories, and some of the prices can be nutty.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Since no one else has mentioned it, that playmat in your pic is actually worth a fair chunk of change as well. Looks like a world championship mat? If it's in as good of condition as it looks there is a market for those old accessories, and some of the prices can be nutty.

Attog Attog

1997 World Championship Spellground Playmat (Magic the Gathering, MTG, Yugioh) | eBay

There are none in completed/sold so the price can be be someone wanking themselves off but it could be a big sack o' dollary dingos.

another related link

magic world championship playmat | eBay

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Yea, playmats can be worth money to the right person but hard to move.

Also, you will have some trouble selling loose packs. Or, you wont get as much as you think. Boxes can be mapped, especially from that time period, so people are wary of individual packs.

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I assume mapping is finding out what rare is in there before you open it, if that is so, can I do it so I at least don't sell a tarmagoyf for $5? If I'm going to get hosed on prices for supposedly mapping, I might as well do it, right?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
You can't boxmap open packs. You need to know where they are in a sealed box.

Very old packs you could push the rare up and see the pack, but not since Legends.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Yea, what heylel said. You have to get the packs in the original order to try and map it. You open a few, put it into a program, and it figures out what the rest are in the box. It worked because they printed rares on a sheet, so there was certain order to them. They would shuffle the packs a bit, but combined with how the pack art and serial numbers went, they reverse engineered the shuffles, too. In recent years, WotC got a lot better about it. I haven't heard much about boxes being mapped anymore. However, the one programmer I knew that had a working program available to the public, went private and stopped letting people buy it. The more he sold the program access, the more wotc knew how he was doing it. So, he could still be doing it, with just a select few, for all I know.

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
This is also why sealed boxes are the only thing mtg finance guys (like rudy from alpha investments) ever talk about as investments (not packs, anyway). You know it hasn't been mapped when it's sealed, and a full box lets you do a draft with some left over. There's some people who just buy old boxes to draft em, revisiting the old limited format, then keep/sell the singles. It generally loses money, but you are having fun with it.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
thoughts from some of you fella on a largeish trade, guy has a signed SP candleabra of tawnos, he's wanting a trop,savannah and bayou.. im iffy on pulling the trigger for it or not

Long term I would take that trade if condition of candelabra was decent and dual land were revised. The signing of candelabra hurts not helps the value. But overall print runs on it were much smaller then on dual lands so long term it should rise in value faster then dual lands. If the dual land are beta are unlimited well thats a hell no for beta and likely wash long term on unlimited but revised and you should come out ahead.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Attog Attog how much you want for 24 packs of Zendikar? I kinda wanna draft it cause I was quit during that whole era.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Attog Attog how much you want for 24 packs of Zendikar? I kinda wanna draft it cause I was quit during that whole era.

I've got some local dealer guy coming to my office tomorrow to check this stuff out, will see what he says and get back to you.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Long term I would take that trade if condition of candelabra was decent and dual land were revised. The signing of candelabra hurts not helps the value. But overall print runs on it were much smaller then on dual lands so long term it should rise in value faster then dual lands. If the dual land are beta are unlimited well thats a hell no for beta and likely wash long term on unlimited but revised and you should come out ahead.

Signatures only really hurt if it's not the artist. It's pretty much a wash otherwise. There's a thriving signed vintage card market at this point. It's not perfect overlap with unsigned cards since some people prefer one or the other, but signatures pretty much just cost you when trying to buylist shit to shops. Which you shouldn't do with reserved cards. Ever.

Nearly all of my beta, expensive legends, arabian, etc. is signed. So are 40 fbbs. Most of it I got signed myself. In the unlikely event I ever sell, the person who buys it will know what they're getting into. Anyone who is going to pick up a beta Lotus will know what Chris Rush's sig looks like.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Nearly all of my beta, expensive legends, arabian, etc. is signed. So are 40 fbbs. Most of it I got signed myself. In the unlikely event I ever sell, the person who buys it will know what they're getting into. Anyone who is going to pick up a beta Lotus will know what Chris Rush's sig looks like.

1yxmcy.jpg

• 1Solidarity

Sterling

El Presidente
Who is signing cards besides the artist?
Can be any number of things. Pro players that have some famous event or are known for a particular card. Invitational cards with player likeness on them often get signed by the player. Richard Garfield has signed a lot of cards over the years as well. And sometimes random people for random reasons.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I've forced everyone who has died to Phelddagrif beats to sign the copy that killed them.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Counterfeiters are the real risk. Since a signature has no providence, you can never be 100% certain who signed it unless you watched it happen. Most artists have quite distinctive signatures though. They're hard to fake and easily verified.

Quinton Hoover and Chris Rush are the big ones people try to pass off as real since they're dead. Wayne England too. Won't be too many years before the list starts growing quickly. Dan Frazier is gettin up there.