MTG thread

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Non-Reminder Text color symbols in textbox do count towards commander deck construction color identity. Hybrid Mana symbols are all colors involved in the hybrid-ing.
Right, but it used to be different. I specifically remember back in the day, Rhys the Redeemed could never be a commander, only a card in some W/G commander's deck. They changed the rule because a lot of people disliked it, and it got worse as more legends got printed that had off-color symbols in their text box.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
Not sure if Basilisk Collar is legal in commander but it combos very nicely with goblin sharpshooter and just turning any of your 1/1 goblins into a deathtoucher has its merits as well.

Sterling

El Presidente
Played a R/U/G deck back when collar was in Standard that played a Collar as part of a small Trinket Mage package and it was funny how often people scooped to equipping that on an Inferno Titan. Caw-Blade was probably a better deck overall, but that deck leveraged Jace TMS the best. Jace + Oracle of Mul Daya was good times. Ancestral Recall with Exploration in play every turn is much better than just Brainstorm every turn!

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Have a local guy who wants to buy these off me for $2600. Seems fair to me, if any of you are up on this stuff let me know if you concur.

4x mox diamond
3x grim monlith
4x city of traitors
4x survival of fittest
1x lion's eye diamond
2x yawgmoth's will
1x scalding tarn
2x misty rainforest
3x null rod
3x wasteland
4x dark confidant
4x ancient tomb
4x metalworker

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
That's not a terrible offer for just a mass cash buy. A bit better than you'd do cash buylisting it to most stores, but it's still like 70-75% of total value if you were to piecemeal it out which isn't surprising given that the dude is probably looking to flip it via his TCG or eBay store etc.

Edit: Rough estimate of actual market value for the pile. Most of these are in LP/MP condition, so if your stuff has been sitting around in boxes and is all LP/NM prices would go up even further as condition actually matters a fair bit on older stuff like this. Like I said, his offer is "fine" as long as you're willing to eat a 25-30% loss to avoid doing the legwork of moving it all.

tcgbuy.PNG

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thanks for that, I came up with 3k but wasn't accounting for condition. Most of the cards he is buying are gem mint so yeah maybe worth 3500 or so total. Seems fair to me, going to sell it all to him tomorrow. He is definitely going to flip it all on Ebay, which is fine, I don't have the time to mess around with that and I hate dealing with that kind of stuff anyway.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
A TCG cart isn't really market value. It's the value of current items for sale, not current items bought. These are also retail prices, so keep that in mind. Shops have things like overhead to consider that are baked into those prices.

All that stuff is either reserved or modern staples like lands, so the buyer knows what he's doing. I don't think he's lowballing you, but you can probably get closer to $2800 and he wouldn't balk.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
A TCG cart isn't really market value. It's the value of current items for sale, not current items bought. These are also retail prices, so keep that in mind. Shops have things like overhead to consider that are baked into those prices.

All that stuff is either reserved or modern staples like lands, so the buyer knows what he's doing. I don't think he's lowballing you, but you can probably get closer to $2800 and he wouldn't balk.

Attog Attog

Heylel just got you an extra 200 dollars. That counteroffer is fair and in good faith. I doubt highly he'll turn it down.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Countefit cards are getting scarily close these days. Still probably a ways off from anything passable in terms of reserve list nonsense due to the level of the scrutiny, but I don't think anyone would ever bat an eye at these during some standard GP or whatever:

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I noticed the fake one right off the bat personally (coloration is way off even in the sleeve from a distance), another issue is how so many recent sets have had misprint issues that people can use to "move" fake ones.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I noticed the fake one right off the bat personally (coloration is way off even in the sleeve from a distance), another issue is how so many recent sets have had misprint issues that people can use to "move" fake ones.

Yep. Fakes don't need to be perfect. They just need to be within the margin for error.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Things keep going the way they are going and fakes are gonna start to get spotted cause they are too good, not enough printing issues to be a real card.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Things keep going the way they are going and fakes are gonna start to get spotted cause they are too good, not enough printing issues to be a real card.
This was always what I thought when I would see the fakes on the Chinese sites of old reserved cards.

Yeah nobody is buying that you found a Black Lotus in mint condition just lying around in your attic. It happens sure but yeah that's getting all kinds of verification.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
This was always what I thought when I would see the fakes on the Chinese sites of old reserved cards.

Yeah nobody is buying that you found a Black Lotus in mint condition just lying around in your attic. It happens sure but yeah that's getting all kinds of verification.

Sure, that's going to raise suspicion but that's also the dummy move. I think the way to go with counterfeits of old cards is to try to pass them off as in poor condition. Throw them in a tumbler with poker chips (wooden, ideally) to simulate natural wear. There was a particular way that old cards used to wear if you shuffled them without sleeves enough. If a particular batch of fakes wears the same way you're good to go. Spill a Dr. Pepper on one. Make it believable.

Fakes of contemporary cards would make excellent raw materials for artistic modifications. This kind of stuff -

sea 3.png

sea 2.png
sea 1.png

Paint 'em up right in China and send them out.

There's two other issues at play that are relevant and connected. The first is that as long as these little pieces of cardboard, including the more recent faire, are this expensive China is never going to stop trying. I don't know if I could bet that China would never get good enough at this for it to be a problem. The other issue is that these cards don't even need to be good enough to pass as real for them to do major damage to the community. They just need to be good enough to spark doubt and get people thinking about selling off some cards rather than holding onto them forever. If people start getting out of collecting because they feel the fakes are too good than it'll be the MtG equivalent of stock market crash.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Fakes still haven't managed to get the feel right. It's going to be a problem for sleeved cards in tournaments well before it will be a problem for collectors. I've never seen a fake that would wear properly, and high end collectors are really fucking savvy about what to look for.

WotC is in much more danger from fakes in modern than vintage or legacy. No one is going to look twice at a Liliana of the Veil before buying it, but they'll damn sure inspect a Mox Sapphire. It's the $30-100 cards that will be counterfeiter gold mines.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Yep. There will never be a way to counterfeit the power 9, duals, etc.. to pass detailed inspection by the collector guys UNLESS they manage to reproduce the actual way the cards were printed, but that's practically impossible from what I've heard. i.e. they get the same printing presses (which is the almost impossible part), get the original molds or recreate perfect ones, get ahold of the same inks and papers, etc..

But, for cards that won't be inspected by the collector guys, such as most modern and some legacy stuff, they could get close enough that most people won't be able to tell. I could see them getting to the point that even most local shop owners won't be able to tell and will buy/sell them with normal cards on accident. If it's under the $50-100 range, most people won't notice. If they ever manage to recreate the rosette pattern, that's when things will go off the deep end.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Anyone know where to get the good enough for sleeves chinese fakes from?

Could be fun to play FNM with a perfect tournament deck without paying the crazy cost.

Can they do the hologram foil thing though? No point doing it for modern FNM since I already have a real deck for that.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Anyone know where to get the good enough for sleeves chinese fakes from?

Could be fun to play FNM with a perfect tournament deck without paying the crazy cost.

Can they do the hologram foil thing though? No point doing it for modern FNM since I already have a real deck for that.

This is where I'm at. I don't give a shit about collecting magic cards any longer, but I'm very interested in buying a current standard or modern meta deck for cheap if I want to go play live.