MTG thread

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Having easy access to 3 colors doesn't necessarily just make control great. It's that there is a good 4 mana sweeper, along with very few good non-creature threats or instant speed interaction available to mid range decks. The two different sweepers neuters most of the super aggro decks chances, such as mono-W or mono-U. Only the super aggro burn decks can reliably beat them, as they don't get blown out by having 3+ creatures on the board to die to the sweeper.

You can have 3+ color formats where control sucks, it just requires things like good planeswalkers, vehicles or land creatures, hand disruption and/or good instant speed threats.
Something like a scrapheap scrounger would do a lot to keep control down. The new red vehicle, mizzium tank, might let slightly bigger red decks attack them from a different angle, too. More creatures, without increasing their exposure to a sweeper.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Ravnica Standard formats are the only time I like Standard.

I'm hoping that whatever Arena Extended (Contemporary?) or whatever they call the next format ends up being a good format after Return to Return to Ravnica rotates out, but right now I'm not seeing what's going to stop it from becoming >50% Mono Red decks.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Ravnica Standard formats are the only time I like Standard.

I'm hoping that whatever Arena Extended (Contemporary?) or whatever they call the next format ends up being a good format after Return to Return to Ravnica rotates out, but right now I'm not seeing what's going to stop it from becoming >50% Mono Red decks.

Modern when it first came out was pretty terrible and solved, Now it's the most open format in history. I think Arenamodern or what ever they call it will eventually be amazing given 2/3 standard rotations.

Also you better sign up for the tournament this time, I can't play and need someone to root for.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The last one was comparatively weak. It actually was not really worth the price. Jace the Mind Sculptor with Alternate Art pretty much makes this a guarantee sell out. Also the Ugin is pretty damn nice. If the new Nicol Bolas does well that adds more flavor.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Why does WOTC always kill off the white planeswalkers?

:I'm Fine:?

Last edited:

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
how can you be part of this board and not know about the white genocide of Domaria; the browning of the multiverse?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
A white Planeswalker who always runs around carrying a giant black sword, as if he's compensating for something.

• 1Worf

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Non-white supremacy strikes again?!

Been playing since Alpha. Havent played mtg seriously in a decade. Played a pair of drafts Friday and cleaned up easily. Could use some suggestions.
I just pulled a pair of hydriod krasis in a pack. I have a bunch of ideas for a deck built around them but would like to hear some suggestions on how to play them effectively and efficiently.

Was thinking of using
gilder-bairn-cropped.jpg

for pumping. Not a bad combo.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Non-white supremacy strikes again?!

Been playing since Alpha. Havent played mtg seriously in a decade. Played a pair of drafts Friday and cleaned up easily. Could use some suggestions.
I just pulled a pair of hydriod krasis in a pack. I have a bunch of ideas for a deck built around them but would like to hear some suggestions on how to play them effectively and efficiently.

Was thinking of using View attachment 204264

for pumping. Not a bad combo.

While that is one of the best MTG art pieces of all time. Their are muuuuch better ways to add counters into things

Take a look at cards with proliferate.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I like to listen to Limited Resources and Lords of Limited to kind of balance each other out. Marshal and LSV love Divination-based gameplay a bit too much for their own good, while LoL tends to overvalue aggression. Generally overlapping the two helps get a good idea of what's actually good vs what's folks faffing about to their favorite strategy.