MTG thread

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yes, since they're legal in every format and aren't part of your deck, the decision tree gets pretty branchy if you print a bunch of them. So they only made 3 to start with. Long one, normal length one, short-but-costly one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Also a fucking nightmare to track in paper.

my nephew bought some of those 3d magic figures they made a while back and he doesn't really use them except he places it on top of library to remind himself to uptick aether vials first in his goblin deck. I thought that would be a good use for those

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Bundle also comes with oversized ones big enough for D&D minis to fit in the squares

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rime

<Donor>
Dungeons and all of the cards associated with them are a trash mechanic. Not even 'fun' like Adventure or Mutate. Just... garbage.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah it’s incredibly stupid. Even if it ends up being powerful enough in this set to be worth playing (though I’m doubtful), it will never be used again which makes any card with Venture almost useless outside of limited since it sure doesn’t look like Venture is being tacked on to cards for “free”.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It just seems like it's trying to be a different game entirely. Not sure why they made this a standard-legal set when they could have just made this like a Conspiracy-type product, and I say this as someone who really enjoyed drafting both Conspiracy sets.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
they just seem like a saga with an extra step to progress it

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
they're conservative in power level for sure, whenever they revisit it is prob when you see an op one

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
From a design perspective, having your venture cards do something different contextually every time is excellent for keeping gameplay interesting, in theory. The issue is that the range of effect strength is divorced from the cost of the venture effects, so unless you design every room to be a 1 Mana "cost" effect, you risk wild imbalance in individual ventures, either on the side of too weak (which these dungeons err on the side of) or too strong. Either ends up boring or obnoxious. Back loading the power means that decks with only a few venture effects will find the Mechanic weak and boring, while decks with many venture cards will blast through the dungeons multiple times per game, averaging out their power level at the cost of any novelty or variety.

Restricting the dungeons to being separated by player instead of a loot race also makes them masturbatory fiddling with counters, in a place where you could have had both players be engaged.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Would have been cool if the dungeon cards were modular and connected up to make larger dungeons.

They could have had them on the back of the land cards as an alternate mode.

Seems like it's the most basic implementation possible, can't even have coloured or legendary dungeons.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know it's silly to get hung up on flavor, but how are dungeons tied back to the idea that a duel is 2 cranky planeswalkers hashing out a disagreement.

are you and your opponent fighting while *IN* the dungeon? that allows your venture critters to attack the opponent while still moving the dungeon forward. But if that's the case, there is a missed opportunity for dungeon rooms to impose some symmetrical statuses similar to enchantments. EDIT: I guess tomb of annihilation fits this bill, but where are the "all players create a 0/1" or "until the start of your next turn, all players have 1 extra mana of your choice in their pool" or something symmetrically positive?

If you and the opponent are NOT *in* the dungeon, then how is your venture critter attacking face while still getting deeper in the dungeon? just teleporting in/out of the dungeon at will? why not just teleport to the treasure chamber or any room you wish then?