MTG thread

vegetoeeVegetoee

Trakanon Raider
It's a shame as I hate casual magic unless it's FNM, but it is what it is. AFAIK they are going to be making paper tournaments for Commander soon. I believe they laid out the plan a year ago.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, first Commandfests were before the pandemic and had good attendance

Ritley

Karazhan Raider

174AA9FD-A7DB-4574-B5B5-03FD7808C59F.gif

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Rime

<Donor>
I have not 'paid' anything into Arena beyond maybe two sets, when it first came out. Then I did the math and figured that even without doing drafting, just hitting 4 wins each day gave me around 60k gold between expansions.

Using gems from infrequent drafts/gold-to-gem store sales, I just buy the battle pass each time.

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I mean obviously most people aren't going to have ~ 70+ percent win rates and some people buy cosmetic stuff. My point was you can pretty easily cash out of MTGO and buy back in when you want to later on.
Yeah, MTGO was great. I remember when I first started playing around Scars of Mirrodin block, and panicked when I did the math and realized I had spent 800 dollars on MTGO and I needed to quit immediately and cash out to recoup my losses. I started counting up my collection and just the rares + mythics alone were worth ... 3800 dollars. And that's how I ended up spending 3 years as an MTGO day trader.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Playing MTG arena, I don't know how people bear that shit.

People play extremely slow, and there is nothing the game does to discourage it. Every matchup feels like I'm playing someone in vintage or legacy that is trying to figure out which 7 card combo sequence would be optimal.

In reality I'm just waiting for them to pick a plains or a swamp, and they still seem to fuck that up a good deal of the time.

• 1Picard

Sterling

El Presidente
Playing MTG arena, I don't know how people bear that shit.

People play extremely slow, and there is nothing the game does to discourage it. Every matchup feels like I'm playing someone in vintage or legacy that is trying to figure out which 7 card combo sequence would be optimal.

In reality I'm just waiting for them to pick a plains or a swamp, and they still seem to fuck that up a good deal of the time.
I mean you're going to get some amount of that in almost any non real time actiony type online games due to people just being distracted or whatever. Rope is there if it's super egregious but yeah sometimes people are absurdly slow. it even happens in mythic although I'd at least like to think that sometimes that's people tanking.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I mean you're going to get some amount of that in almost any non real time actiony type online games due to people just being distracted or whatever. Rope is there if it's super egregious but yeah sometimes people are absurdly slow. it even happens in mythic although I'd at least like to think that sometimes that's people tanking.

RL magic was 3 rounds in 50 minutes, and that often included a ton of shuffling, taking notes, adjusting dice, ... they really need to do something about this.

They could include average match time over 200+ games in their matchmaking or something.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
RL magic was 3 rounds in 50 minutes, and that often included a ton of shuffling, taking notes, adjusting dice, ... they really need to do something about this.

They could include average match time over 200+ games in their matchmaking or something.
They really just need to add a quick play setting that only queues you against other quick play people. Make the rope like 1/5th of what it is in standard (or even smaller).

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Seems cheapest currently. I fully expect these to hit sub $200 like all the rest of them, but who knows /shrug

• 1Like