MTG thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Will see if I burned a few hundred dollars then. Hoping the DnD aspect draws some people to buy just to collect.
Not sure why they would, despite this being a forgotten realm set they sure as shit went out of the way to exclude the actual characters people want to see. Most of the cards are generic monsters or retarded dnd tropes.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
People seem to collect strange things, small risk/reward. Seeing them at $265ish on TCG player currently, may be a short bump I can catch, who knows.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
It’s $220 in stock for preorder right now from Gamenerdz, which also has no tax for most. Maybe there is some reason that people are paying more, I have no clue.

All I know is that for standard sets long term, the CBs have been on sale for sub $200 on Amazon. ZNR hit $180, kaldheim hit $160, Strixhaven is at $207 but will almost certainly have a sale when it’s a bit older, theros hit $160, and core 2021 hit $180. Only exceptions were Ikoria and Eldraine, but this set is clearly not either of those.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
They start at € 190 / $225 on cardmarket.com

Based on the supply listed there and the niche appeal this product has, I don't see it doing well. Maybe in a couple of years it will give a modest return.

Its fine, I look forward to italian Tabernacles hitting 1k$ and you playing with purple bordered versions.

Win-Win!

I posted this in juli 2016. An itialian Tabernacle that has not traveled through the digestive system of a dog is now 5000$+.

Still don't fucking get why people invest in sealed product, even if its a "win", its still nothing like this.

So, I look forward to tabernacles hitting 10k by 2026.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
For sure, they are out there at better price points, may want to let all these people know. Just taking a gamble, hopefully pays off for a little bit of cash in pocket afterwards. Seems worst case I lose $20-30/box, not the end of the world.

1625501374757.png

Punko Punko By no means am I suggesting there is a Tabernacle, Library, or any other top end vintage card comparison in this set. My larger gambles are in sports cards. There is a new Tabernacle'esqe player every year to make money on.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
For sure, they are out there at better price points, may want to let all these people know. Just taking a gamble, hopefully pays off for a little bit of cash in pocket afterwards. Seems worst case I lose $20-30/box, not the end of the world.

Punko Punko By no means am I suggesting there is a Tabernacle, Library, or any other top end vintage card comparison in this set. My larger gambles are in sports cards. There is a new Tabernacle'esqe player every year to make money on.

I don't understand people that buy non-reserved list sealed stuff, besides for wanting to play with it at a later point.

It has proven time and time again that it doesn't increase in value anywhere near the popular reserved list stuff.

Also Vintage, Legacy and Commander staples suffer way less from price-crippling bans. I didn't even play and I remember the Oko thief of crowns dream which was 60$. Bans like that happen a lot it seems, and when the card is no longer allowed in standard and modern, it has to have a very high power level to be able to compete in legacy / or vintage, and it might even get banned there, which ruins the value of stuff at launch, and long term keeps sealed value down.

I do this rant here at least every 7-8 months, sorry.

• 1Like

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Still don't fucking get why people invest in sealed product, even if its a "win", its still nothing like this.

So, I look forward to tabernacles hitting 10k by 2026.
Because I legit enjoy it. For instance, I have 3 bricks of Lorwyn tournament decks. They're already up 200 - 250% and no reason they wont keep going up. However, if Magic ever shits the bed and Im stuck holding those? Im cracking em with the family and we'll have a blast. They are an investment where I dont mind losing nearly as much as my stock portfolio.

The same is true for the CBBs, draft boxes, and Commander decks I invest in. And Ill buy a box or two of AFR CBB like the rest for the same reason.

Conversely I enjoy watching my duals and random 4 Horsemen cards explode over time, but at the end of the day its a bunch of cards that just dont excite me like sealed shit does. Other than my green collection, of course.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I guess its easy for me since I first played when revised came out, so I can both enjoy stuff from that era and have really good financial benefits.

One of these days I'm finishing my cube. Surely.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They say the perfect draft deck does not exi-

1625504019729.png

Got to copy Tempted by the Oriq and Timewarp and Elemental Masterpiece many times.

Deck really needed an Emergent Sequence or a Cultivate though.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
They say the perfect draft deck does not exi-

View attachment 361175

Got to copy Tempted by the Oriq and Timewarp and Elemental Masterpiece many times.

Deck really needed an Emergent Sequence or a Cultivate though.

I had an unexpected visit, so I had to leave after picking 2 cards.

This is what the comp came up with, and what I made of it:

comp draft.png

What do you think?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Black is the weakest color in the chromatic cube, but that deck could still win some games.

Having no mana rocks pretty much means you're going to lose though. File for a reimbursement or something.

PS: Not playing Mizzix's Mastery is a mistake. That card is absolutely insane. 3R - cast the best instant/sorcery in your GY for free. 5RRR, win the fucking game.

Last edited:

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The secret to Chromatic Cube is to just draft every (2) or (3) mana rock.

I'm aware of these things, but was pleasantly surprised by what the comp gathered.

Managed to go 1-0 thanks to being on the start, glint sleeve syphoner and some removal / counters.

Captivating crew with fiend artisan made them concede. Pretty funny combo. On to 7-0 we go.

Replaced the Fiery emancipation (lulz) with the Mizzix mastery, casting the former on 6 red sources seems ambitious. Good tip!

Last edited:

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Just when I think the AFR spoilers couldn’t get any worse, they do in fact get worse. Nothing in this shitty set is playable even in standard

• 1Worf