MTG thread

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
This ignores the fact that many people enjoy magic as a collectible. Not only does it make collecting the cards more of a burden, it also makes any given version of the card feel worth less while probably costing more to have the “collection”.
It's only more of a burden if your goal was to collect literally every single variant of every single card. Otherwise it's just more options. *Shrugs*

And re: the "overprinting" argument from others, does anyone have the actual numbers to know whether or not they're actually printing way more cards? Couldn't they be printing close to the same amount as before just divided among more art styles?

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Alt arts seem to be alright. It looks more like 4 different sketch variants though.

View attachment 447765

There are currently 9 unique card numbers for this card. 4 unique art + phyrexian language + 4 of those in a brand new foil treatment. There should also be normal foiling of at least the base version and phyrexian language (if not more) so that puts it at 11 variants so far. Give it time, there may be more!

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Paying attention to Magic has become literally exhausting.

I've not even had a chance to draft Brother's War and spoilers are already starting for the new set. Also there's been 37 secret lairs in the last month and 15 new commander decks and a remaster set and also some Transformers cards somewhere?

I'm just gonna sit here and play legacy and get super grumpy whenever someone "takes the initiative"

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Zaide

TLP Idealist
It's only more of a burden if your goal was to collect literally every single variant of every single card. Otherwise it's just more options. *Shrugs*

And re: the "overprinting" argument from others, does anyone have the actual numbers to know whether or not they're actually printing way more cards? Couldn't they be printing close to the same amount as before just divided among more art styles?
It’s like you don’t understand what collecting is.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

OneofOne

I've not even had a chance to draft Brother's War and spoilers are already starting for the new set. Also there's been 37 secret lairs in the last month and 15 new commander decks and a remaster set and also some Transformers cards somewhere?

I'm just gonna sit here and play legacy and get super grumpy whenever someone "takes the initiative"
Or becomes The Monarch? lol I feel you, man.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
It’s like you don’t understand what collecting is.
Hey at least they're making sure you'll always have goals?

P.s. If you can afford collecting on that level, could you loan me $100 for a new futon?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

And you'll be happier for it.

The meek shall inherit the earth. Magic is for casuals now.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider

It has become a burden for us and our group because of the format/cube we play and all the different versions of shit.

• 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
It has become a burden for us and our group because of the format/cube we play and all the different versions of shit.
So change your format.

Or, rather, don't let it change your format, maybe.

Literally more options does nothing but fuck over compulsive people lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
So change your format.

Or, rather, don't let it change your format, maybe.

Literally more options does nothing but fuck over compulsive people lol
We were not going to let it change our 16+ year old format anyways, but it "literally" fucks over some of us non-compulsive people with increased costs and time.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>

it's definitely cost something, people used to have like every card memorized by the art, that's not really possible anymore, kinda makes you lose connection to the game a bit. it's subtle but I think it's a real thing.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
It's a 30 year old game that's had more and more cards added to it over time, people that have every card memorized are not the target audience.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I don't get out to the LGS much anymore but I always thought it was awesome when someone laid a boss Mythic Rare that I had to stop and read. I think between the two they're going for "sense of wonder" over "a game where everyone knows everything" and I like it. *Shrugs*

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
It's a 30 year old game that's had more and more cards added to it over time, people that have every card memorized are not the target audience.

I saw someone with a breakdown a week ago claiming that the player base is basically 1/3rd of people who started in last 2 years, 1/3rd of people who started more than 5 years ago and 1/3rd that are 10 year plus.

I think the avg player can go back like nearly 10 years in their head of cards.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I don't get out to the LGS much anymore but I always thought it was awesome when someone laid a boss Mythic Rare that I had to stop and read.

well I mean it's not really the pre internet era anymore and everythings spoiled now but generally what you describe here seemed to happen when you draft the set and you see cool stuff and go "what's that?" that's not lost at all with what I was describing.

what I was talking about is after that experience

OneofOne

I don't get out to the LGS much anymore but I always thought it was awesome when someone laid a boss Mythic Rare that I had to stop and read. I think between the two they're going for "sense of wonder" over "a game where everyone knows everything" and I like it. *Shrugs*
You think they are going for EITHER of those two things?

Papa Hasbro is laughing at you. At all of us.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
You think they are going for EITHER of those two things?

Papa Hasbro is laughing at you. At all of us.
"Laughs in Magic30"

It's exactly like modern video games. They're not designing their sets for the average player, they're designing their sets to milk the whales that will splurge massive amounts to collect everything. Each variant, each set, each secret lair thing is to hook 'dem whale. So what if card design suffers and you have to ban a septillion cards? Who cares, as long as the whale pod keeps circling over the Ebay and Amazon store (which gives them more money, who cares about the LGS).

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Two kids of people complain about MTG:

1) People who really don't play MTG and haven't for decades.
2) People who play way too much MTG.

If you're not at either end of the spectrum there, the game looks pretty decent, about as good as it always has been, which is to say not perfect but still run better than any other game that's been out even half as long. Comparing Wizards of the Coast to Blizzard and WOTC looks like immortal geniuses.

• 2Like