MTG thread

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I know at least a dozen people (including myself) who would come back to Arena and spend money if it had some good formats.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I know at least a dozen people (including myself) who would come back to Arena and spend money if it had some good formats.
butwhy.jpg

• 1Like

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Pokemon teamup cards, revisiting all the previous showcase versions. Sure why not. Seen ToE showcase elsewhere.

pokemonteamup.png

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
My dreams of 5 color Omnath turned out pretty disappointing. Was hoping for some sort of elemental synergy so I could finally do a 5color Omnath elemental commander deck. Oh well. The buy a box art is fucking dope, though.

I do wonder if lore-wise they’re blowing their load a little early here. They’re invading at least 10 planes just from card flavor text, but supposedly this conflict, whether good or bad, is getting wrapped up in a single set? Hope that’s not the case.

Love the Ixalan showcase frame but wish it didn’t have that coin/fossil style art.

• 1Like

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I do wonder if lore-wise they’re blowing their load a little early here. They’re invading at least 10 planes just from card flavor text, but supposedly this conflict, whether good or bad, is getting wrapped up in a single set? Hope that’s not the case.

There is one more mini set like March of the Machines, MotM: Aftermath.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Not sure it really gets "wrapped up." I doubt all of the Phyrexians are defeated. They say there will be mechanical changes and permanent changes to the multiverse.

Sterling

El Presidente
All those early sets were shit for limited. It wasn't until Mirage where they really put any effort into making sets with limited in mind at all. Like most of those early sets were like 35-40 percent creatures, most of which were shit and had stuff like common X spells.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Mirage is definitely better than 4th edition but it's still got Kaervek's Torch at common and Savage Twister at uncommon.

• 1Worf

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This is not what I expected a 4cmc Thalia to look like, they got me there.

I really like the Jin Gitaxias, his flip ability is a neat "quest" for your deck to go on.

Where's my Ulgrotha invasion WotC?!

• 1Worf

Sterling

El Presidente
Mirage is definitely better than 4th edition but it's still got Kaervek's Torch at common and Savage Twister at uncommon.
Yeah, common X spells were around too long for sure. Urza's Saga also had common Pestilence, there's a lot of rarity issues for a good long while before they really got a handle on balancing sets for limited.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Where's my Ulgrotha invasion WotC?!
They might put that in there just for the memes.

I really hope a whole bunch of the most popular planes end up conquered by the Phyrexians and the March of the Machine is merely stopped, rather than defeated. Then they would have to explore new planes and return to some of these 'backwater' planes for a while.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, common X spells were around too long for sure. Urza's Saga also had common Pestilence, there's a lot of rarity issues for a good long while before they really got a handle on balancing sets for limited.
"Remastering" Rath or Urza cycle for limited would still be a goldmine tho. Relatively minor tweaks needed to make it work in a modern Arena format. And damn would it bring in the old boys.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
"Remastering" Rath or Urza cycle for limited would still be a goldmine tho. Relatively minor tweaks needed to make it work in a modern Arena format. And damn would it bring in the old boys.
Yes, you could do a remastered draft set of just the best limited cards from those blocks, I'm sure they will do that eventually. I would rather they do that than print more alchemy garbage.

Urza's Saga Block would be really interesting if you cut all the chaff in Urza but left all the good stuff from the two small sets.

Dominaria United was pretty much a re-imagining of Invasion Block limited mechanics.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Rath cycle in particular has a lot of depth for old Timmys. Lots of mechanics that were interesting but not super powerful, all with cool fitting in-world lore behind them. I know that's, sorta, what they've strived for with every set since, but as far as the story having original lore that's baked into every single card without it being a rehashing / retelling of all the usual tropes they've been milling on forever, I feel like Rath cycle is still maybe the coolest block they've done. And there's a significant amount of mechanics from the set that are not evergreen, will make for a lot of easy wins as the Timmys take time to figure out the early days of the draft. :)

Sterling

El Presidente
Rath cycle was pretty terrible for limited. Shadow is super duper dumb as fuck. So many non interactive limited games that are pure races. Even original Zendicar wasn't that bad.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users