MTG thread

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Local store has been doing guaranteed box prereleases (generally the first prerelease of the weekend) for decades now, on top of the 2 packs per player in the prize pool. Used to also do top 8 drafts for the events, but too many people complained about the extra time added, so they went to doing straight standing after 6 or 7 rounds, so actually winning the box is kind of a crapshoot.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Embarrassing, but I think it took me 5 or 6 drafts to get to 7 wins. Finally went 7-1 with black red luck with rares and 4 of the 2/4 damage single mana nuke.

this format has kicked my ass, but I still love a draft and will keep trying to find the cracks, but I’m leaning towards everything is so balanced that rare playables are more important than usual

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This format seems like a total fucking crapshot honestly so don't feel bad. I haven't done a single draft but the ones I've watched just seem like shitshows.

I felt the same way about Crimson Vow though and that set ended up much better than the initial impression (though still not great.)

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I don’t usually watch any streamers, but notnummy or however it’s spelled seemed cool and he was only averaging 50% win rate and made me feel better

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
1676591348748.png

Overall Hasbro miss but MTG continues to dominate and overperform.

Rudy, Wrong Again.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I guess I don't understand the stated logic behind the cross themed stuff. "hey, yeh, you like transformers? here's like 20 cards, aren't they nifty? Oh, now you're in the door, <slams down 30 years of rules and umpteen million cards> now rule 1.1.1.a.1.a Play begins when..... hey, where are you going?"

Printing cards that look like transformers, or my little pony, or trolls, or stranger things, earns you only a couple of pack purchases. It doesn't create the next generation of obsessed fan, esport wanabe, or whale. Trying to drive continued growth off of only small one time sales *is* a business model, but it sure isn't what got Magic *to* this anniversary.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I guess I don't understand the stated logic behind the cross themed stuff. "hey, yeh, you like transformers? here's like 20 cards, aren't they nifty? Oh, now you're in the door, <slams down 30 years of rules and umpteen million cards> now rule 1.1.1.a.1.a Play begins when..... hey, where are you going?"

Printing cards that look like transformers, or my little pony, or trolls, or stranger things, earns you only a couple of pack purchases. It doesn't create the next generation of obsessed fan, esport wanabe, or whale. Trying to drive continued growth off of only small one time sales *is* a business model, but it sure isn't what got Magic *to* this anniversary.
It's kinda worked with Warhammer decks locally. Most nerds have dabbled in Magic at some point, so the Warhammer decks were enough to get many folks to relapse.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Instead of working their way backwards to catch up with Pioneer / Modern on Arena, they should put in some of the really classic sets. How many old nerds would download Arena for the first time if they heard that there was Rathe cycle draft / sealed? Or similar?

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Instead of working their way backwards to catch up with Pioneer / Modern on Arena, they should put in some of the really classic sets. How many old nerds would download Arena for the first time if they heard that there was Rathe cycle draft / sealed? Or similar?
Put ABU on Arena, watch heads explode.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

It's been the thing that I've been waiting for since Arena was announced. WoW Classic was a mega success, people still show up to play the new EverQuest TLP, retro gaming and collecting is big, where is the Magic the Gathering relaunch? Put out Alpha, let people fuck around with it for a couple of months, release Arabian Nights. There's so much gameplay that almost no one got to experience just sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
It's been the thing that I've been waiting for since Arena was announced. WoW Classic was a mega success, people still show up to play the new EverQuest TLP, retro gaming and collecting is big, where is the Magic the Gathering relaunch? Put out Alpha, let people fuck around with it for a couple of months, release Arabian Nights. There's so much gameplay that almost no one got to experience just sitting on a shelf collecting dust.
Apparently, it's a lot of hard work to implement a set in Arena. Since their goal is mostly the standard format (which forces players to constantly churn new sets, hence buy packs for a lot of them), implementing old sets isn't considered worth it.

There is still the issue of art licensing too. A lot of the original art was licensed on a per-print basis, so you might still have to pay some of the original artist again if you want to reuse the original card art.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Apparently, it's a lot of hard work to implement a set in Arena. Since their goal is mostly the standard format (which forces players to constantly churn new sets, hence buy packs for a lot of them), implementing old sets isn't considered worth it.

There is still the issue of art licensing too. A lot of the original art was licensed on a per-print basis, so you might still have to pay some of the original artist again if you want to reuse the original card art.

We were originally told when Arena was on the way/getting off the ground that it was going to be much easier to add new sets than it was with MTGO but whatever. You will never, ever convince me that Arena doesn't make enough money to justify having better support. At the end of the day all I'm really asking for is shit that MTGO tackled and implemented ages ago and MTGO is ass. If a card needed new art it already has it over there.

Hell, I'm still disappointed that Arena doesn't at least have at least full Pioneer available.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Imo needs to be either Rath cycle or Urza cycle to begin with if we are going for nostalgia sets. They're way more balanced gameplay wise than the other 90s era sets. Great happy medium.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Imo needs to be either Rath cycle or Urza cycle to begin with if we are going for nostalgia sets. They're way more balanced gameplay wise than the other 90s era sets. Great happy medium.

Yeah, original core set gameplay would be a mess. I still want it as part of the journey but it would be a mess. You run it for like a month and then get Arabian Nights out. Core/Arabian Nights/Legends/Antiquities is at least a format.

The time to do an Arena Alpha launch was the 30 year anniversary. Yes we did thousand dollar proxy reprints BUT we also added Alpha to Arena with limited and constructed support as part of the celebration.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The time to do an Arena Alpha launch was the 30 year anniversary. Yes we did thousand dollar proxy reprints BUT we also added Alpha to Arena with limited and constructed support as part of the celebration.
Now THAT would have been like Hasbro printing free money

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The problem is that ABU is a fucking awful limited format. People try to draft it and it's no fun.

However, in the last MTGA Cube me and this card had many adventures. All you need is to copy or blink it a few times, and then have some card like The Reality Chip or One With The Multiverse that lets you play cards off the top of your deck:

1676640724174.png

1676641201465.png

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
This weeks Arena Festival event is built around this mechanic:
D363630F-9C88-405E-BB10-625B35B8532B.jpeg

And I’m fucking amazed how many opponents I played that were running some variant of weenie/toxic, rather than trying to ramp out to take advantage of the card draw mechanic.

Easily won 5 in a row to compleat the event.

4A42A260-C8C2-4999-96F2-788FDAB05FAC.jpeg

• 1Worf