MTG thread

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Shit just wait until you see all the LOTR characters that have now turned black. It ain't just Aragorn. Luckily the trans fuck art director that did this shit is gone, but his stain endures.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
photo1678894030.jpeg

• 3Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I play paper magic on Friday nights at an LGS. They give out promo packs from WoTC for participating. There's 3 cards plus an Arena code in each pack. You can redeem up to 5 codes on your account to get a free booster pack in Arena.

I'm not sure if these codes are one time use or not, but I've already redeemed 5, and half the people there don't play arena so I scoop up the rest. Also when March of the Machines comes out, there will be MoM packs so you can redeem 5 codes from that, etc.

Edit: forgot to quote you Dr.Retarded Dr.Retarded

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I play paper magic on Friday nights at an LGS. They give out promo packs from WoTC for participating. There's 3 cards plus an Arena code in each pack. You can redeem up to 5 codes on your account to get a free booster pack in Arena.

I'm not sure if these codes are one time use or not, but I've already redeemed 5, and half the people there don't play arena so I scoop up the rest. Also when March of the Machines comes out, there will be MoM packs so you can redeem 5 codes from that, etc.

Edit: forgot to quote you Dr.Retarded Dr.Retarded
Yeah I kind of fell off the wagon with a different releases. I was at least redeeming codes just to get the free packs and what have you for different expansions, but just been busy and not paying attention.

I really thought about picking it up again because I was enjoying arena quite a bit and I can't remember the last expansion I was playing, but it was maybe a little while after they did the whole historic thing.

Anyways thanks for sharing them I might redeem one and if it's already taken not a big deal.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Now that Arena has decent eternal formats in the form of Explorer and Historic, it's a lot more fun. I can't remember the last time I played Standard. My Historic deck changes by maybe 1-4 cards with each expansion, which I of course can easily cover with wildcards.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Historic Metagame challenge has been hitting the spot today. Haven't hit 7 wins yet but I've been going infinite as far as buyin vs reward.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
my current historic deck on Arena

ruskorion.jpg

COMPANION​

1 Yorion, Sky Nomad

PLANESWALKERS (2)​

2 Professor Onyx

CREATURES (9)​

3 Thief of Sanity
2 Murderous Rider
4 Rusko, Clockmaker

INSTANTS (25)​

3 Fatal Push
1 Erebos's Intervention'
1 March of Otherworldly Light
2 Drown in the Loch
2 Vanishing Verse
2 Argivian Welcome
2 Sheoldred's Edict
3 Absorb
3 Void Rend
3 Teferi's Contingency
3 Memory Deluge

SORCERIES (4)​

3 Supreme Verdict
1 Hour of Revelation

ENCHANTMENTS (6)​

4 Omen of the Sea
2 Phyrexian Arena

LANDS (38)​

1 Snow-Covered Island
1 Snow-Covered Plains
1 Snow-Covered Swamp
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Drowned Catacomb
4 Isolated Chapel
1 Field of Ruin
2 Castle Ardenvale
2 Castle Vantress
2 Hive of the Eye Tyrant
4 Watery Grave
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Raffine's Tower
4 Godless Shrine

84 CARDS​

SIDEBOARD​

1 Yorion, Sky Nomad
1 Fatal Push
1 Erebos's Intervention
1 March of Otherworldly Light
2 Tale's End
2 Test of Talents
1 Vanishing Verse
1 Void Rend
1 Summary Dismissal
1 Supreme Verdict
2 Day of Judgment
1 Hour of Revelation

my deck was already bloated above 60 cards before, but functional. Control decks don't always need to be exactly 60 cards, a deck that can dig for answers can be better off with a bit over the minimum. i was sitting at like... I was sitting at 67 cards (with 29 lands) and was doing well in Platinum and Diamond, so i thought fuck it... not a big fan of Yorion decks but i may as well add him in if i'm already that bloated. And it improved my deck a LOT. the only permanents worth blinking are Rusko and Omen of the Sea, but blinking Rusko a single time can be a huge board swing.

Rusko rules because it's a two for one. I don't know why I never see anyone else playing him. He's amazing. Even if they remove Rusko you've still got your clock to refresh you in a few turns. Even if they remove the Clock, you've still got a decent body on Rusko and a 2 point life swing (1 minus for them 1 plus for you) every time you cast a noncreature spell.. which is what control decks do all the time anyway,

Get a Professor Onyx and a Rusko both on the board and you're gonna win. 6 point life swing every instant and sorcery haha.

Argivian Welcome is another card that I am surprised I never see anyone else playing. Being able to add Flash to any card in your hand is very, very powerful, especially since you don't need to cast Argivian on the same turn as the spell you add Flash to. Can use Argivian welcome on turn 2 and give flash to a board wipe, and then hit opponents with an instant speed board wipe on turn 4. Can flash in Rusko on opponent end step or as a combat trick. Can give flash to Murderous Rider and flash him in from exile after he goes on his adventure, for another combat trick.

Deck can really dig for answers if you need to, between Omen of the Sea and Memory Deluge. Another reason why being over the minimum card count for the deck isn't as big of a deal with a deck like this.

Deck can also function essentially as a midrange deck if you need and get the right draw. Which is nice -- you can have the option of biding your time and controlling the opponent's board until they run out of steam, and then start going to town. OR you can go the other way and press the opponent early with creatures, and at worst force them to spend their mana on removal.

There might be better options than Thief of Sanity, but damn I love that card. i used to run Sedgemoore Witch, she might actually be a good addition...

Through most of my Magic career I've sort of built my own decks but always used netdeck lists as a guide to help me along. This deck, tho, is 100% my own, completely. And I'm very proud of it. It is probably hard to run until you get used to it. You have to really understand the metagame to be able to understand what your opponent's deck is doing. Making wrong decisions early on can lead to a quick defeat.

Another fun thing -- it's got huge potential for dramatic "comebacks" as far as the life counter is concerned. I OFTEN end up down in the 1-5 life range why my opponent is still at 20, and then set up my board and come back and beat them. Which is a really enjoyable experience. =)

Teferi's Contingency is another one that IDK why i never see anyone else playing it. it can really disrupt the opponent's game plan if you hit the right card with it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Thanks, pharma. I just tried to build green stompy but it’s only like 50% wr and just discovered the format. Trying to find something I like that’s not drafting after I blow my gem load

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am very tempted to buy one box of the LoTR set and just store it in my closet. It holds value even if the ring is not found because of the subject(Despite the Black Aragorn). If the ring is not found/claimed, every box becomes more valuable. Its an interesting premise.

What they should have done was instead of the card, they use a token that is good for getting the card. The catch is, the token is only good for 6 months. Its forces all the boxes to be opened as long as nobody has found the token. Now we get this scenario where a person could just keep boxes sealed and nobody ever finds the card.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I am very tempted to buy one box of the LoTR set and just store it in my closet. It holds value even if the ring is not found because of the subject(Despite the Black Aragorn). If the ring is not found/claimed, every box becomes more valuable. Its an interesting premise.

What they should have done was instead of the card, they use a token that is good for getting the card. The catch is, the token is only good for 6 months. Its forces all the boxes to be opened as long as nobody has found the token. Now we get this scenario where a person could just keep boxes sealed and nobody ever finds the card.

The card is shit anyway. Its like a summer magic shit rare, sure it is hard to find, but why would you even want it?

The guy I sold my collection too buys summer magic at maximum 25% of market value and sells it at 50%, because there is zero demand.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The card is shit anyway. Its like a summer magic shit rare, sure it is hard to find, but why would you even want it?

The guy I sold my collection too buys summer magic at maximum 25% of market value and sells it at 50%, because there is zero demand.
Except multiple people have already offered quite a bit for this "zero demand" card. You and I might look at it as a waste of money, but the demand is there. And there doesn't need to be much demand - unlike summer magic cards, there's only one of these.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Summer Magic Basics are the best land pimping option. Bling so obscure the opponent doesn't even realize they're being styled on

• 1Worf