MTG thread

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
How is the online version of this game? I have no desire to go the nearest nerd store, If i can play online and its halfway decent I will.
Pros:
It plays the game very well. There are almost 0 card bugs, for thousands upon thousands of printed cards. Every bit of rules text in the game is reproduced faithfully.
It has a very solid economy due to redemption. Multiple panics have yet to crash the value of cards in any meaningful way.
Support is excellent, though it takes some time. If you lose an event due to a bug, server hickup, whatever, they will always give you your entry fee back as long as you don't start abusing it for stupid stuff. You do have to fill out a form and it takes about a day to get it back though.

Cons:
The interface sucks donkey balls and will take you about 3-4 matches to learn the basics, a month to learn the intricate details. Easier if you're very familiar with the rules of magic. The interface does force you to learn the rules a lot better than most people who play paper.
Costs only slightly less than the paper version of the game, which means it costs a LOT compared to other online games.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I have been fucking around with a ton of decks.

What do you think of this one?Green Crush ( MTG Deck)

And would this scenario work?

I mulligan till I get a mystic and a forest.I have giant growth and titans strength to trigger heroic and deal early pressure. I use Akroan Crusader and Anthousa, Setessan Hero to get extra mana out of Xenagos. Pump either Mistcutter or Polukranos a couple turns in.

Spoilered for size.

Starting hand was Giant Growth, Elvish Mystic, Akroan Crusader, Polukranos, 1 Mountains and 2 forests.
Turn 1- Play one Forest one elvish mystic.
Turn 2- Draw Elvish Mystic, Play one Mountain, Play one elvish mystic, Play one Akroan Crusader, Tap first Elvish Mystic play Giant growth on Akroan Crusader, Place one 1/1 token (Satyr in the log, the satyr jumps around the log because I was trying to correct the token).
Turn 3- Draw Xenagos, Play forest, Use mana from Xenagos and Mystics to play Polukranos.
Turn 4- Draw a second Polukranos, in the pictures I couldn't have casted the second Polukranos because of the legendary rule I looked up. But The first one could have been a 15/15 with triggered monstrosity instead.

So turn four I could have had four 1/1 creatures, and a 15/15. With 2 counters on Xenagos.

Is that all correct?

NzdD6I6.jpg

SI7wGvz.jpg

YKCGYPK.jpg

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Giant Growth is a bad card.

It would cost 21 mana to make Polukranos a 15/15. In a double X casting cost, each X has to be paid the same, I didn't really read your exact mana situation because there's no way you had 21 mana on turn 4.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
The one X on Polukranos is for the damage dealt to players and the other X is for Monstrosity isn't it?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nope.

Example: Polukranos is currently not monstrous. I pay 6g and use his activated ability with the value of X set to 3. He now gets 3 +1/+1 counters and can deal 3 damage to opponents creatures divided however I wish.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Nope.

Example: Polukranos is currently not monstrous. I pay 6g and use his activated ability with the value of X set to 3. He now gets 3 +1/+1 counters and can deal 3 damage to opponents creatures divided however I wish.
Ohhhh, ill just use Mistcutter Hydra's then. Thanks!

Zarcath

Silver Squire
nah that's not how XX is read. It's a split cost. If you want 2 counters, you'd have to pay 2C2C+G. 3 counters is 3C3C+G. It has to be an equal number for both values.

Is there really a point to making him Monstrous on T4?

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
nah that's not how XX is read. It's a split cost. If you want 2 counters, you'd have to pay 2C2C+G. 3 counters is 3C3C+G. It has to be an equal number for both values.

Is there really a point to making him Monstrous on T4?
Just making the biggest threat possible as soon as possible using only Theros.

Zarcath

Silver Squire
any particular reason you're sticking to Theros block with some M14? R/G Xenagos aggro usually runs Burning-Tree Emissaries.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
any particular reason you're sticking to Theros block with some M14? R/G Xenagos aggro usually runs Burning-Tree Emissaries.
Forgot about giant growth being M14, ill replace that. I just started playing a couple weeks ago and i'm familiarizing myself with current sets while learning how to deck build.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Just making the biggest threat possible as soon as possible using only Theros.
The value of the sword is not that it falls, but rather, that it hangs.

Biggest threat isn't necessarily the best threat. Polukranos is powerful because he gives green a targeted removal ability, not just because he's a large creature. He'll smash most anything that comes at him as a 5/5. In most cases, you're going to be better off holding that ability until it does something relevant for you. Your opponent will have to play around it for as long as you can still monstrous him.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
The value of the sword is not that it falls, but rather, that it hangs.

Biggest threat isn't necessarily the best threat. Polukranos is powerful because he gives green a targeted removal ability, not just because he's a large creature. He'll smash most anything that comes at him as a 5/5. In most cases, you're going to be better off holding that ability until it does something relevant for you. Your opponent will have to play around it for as long as you can still monstrous him.
Which would you prefer? The way I had the deck or the way I fixed it.

I kind of like the second one better. Lots of mana early, can have lots of small creatures with death touch early to stall till I get a bomb. Also Mistcutter protection from blue and Stormbreath Protection from white.

Zarcath

Silver Squire
You may want to consider Coordinated Assault, Minotaur Skullcleaver and maybe Messenger's Speed. Nessian Asp also wrecked my shit regularly. Sedge Scorpion is a great fuck you card.

Anthousa was really lackluster for me in drafts. Don't know if other people had luck with her, i'd probably cut her down to 1-2 instead of 4.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've picked nessian asp over anthousa multipule times in theros drafts - also not a fan of her. If going green heroic i'd rather have centaur battlemaster.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I've picked nessian asp over anthousa multipule times in theros drafts - also not a fan of her. If going green heroic i'd rather have centaur battlemaster.
I'm not necessarily doing heroic. The Akroan is there for early creatures for Xenagos to use and Anthousa is there for mid creatures for Xenagos to use. Also Akroan's could be pumped early for damage. Coupled with Warrior's lesson I could get the cards I need early. Also if I get lucky I would have Bow of Nylea early so my early pumped creatures also have death touch.

The idea is to make as many creatures and as much mana as I can early for the Mistcutters.

ezcw_sl

shitlord
I've always wanted to dabble in MtG again but every time I think about it I remember the time my parents burned my 5000+ card collection in the fireplace because magic cards were the devil's work. Mowed a lot of lawns for that shit. Always been afraid to find out what they might have been worth since I don't want to be tempted to off my folks for shit they did 20 years ago.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
There was a period where my father started watching religious programming on television and took away all my cards. He also had a problem with the Final Fantasy games for no reason other than it was words he heard me say. Now it's 20 years later and he spends way too much time watching Ghost Hunters bullshit and thinks everything is haunted.

It hurts me.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've always wanted to dabble in MtG again but every time I think about it I remember the time my parents burned my 5000+ card collection in the fireplace because magic cards were the devil's work. Mowed a lot of lawns for that shit. Always been afraid to find out what they might have been worth since I don't want to be tempted to off my folks for shit they did 20 years ago.
Tens of thousands of $$$. Revenge is in order.