MTG thread

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I saw a boros build that used him fairly well. It would die horribly to mono-black, but it was a fun little "turn shit sideways" deck.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Realisticly you have to play him on Turn 4 with a spell to protect him, then have spells to buff him Turn 5 and ANOTHER protection spell? Otherwise half of decks will just kill him.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Just had someone try to play Biovisionary followed up by Progenitor Mimic on MTGO. I killed the Biovisionary and so he had to copy a Sylvan Caryatid. Was quite amusing. Key thing is that he had already dumped his hand by this point so it was the correct play since he got into a top deck war and I had an Underworld Connections. I'm practicing mono-black for the PTQ tomorrow.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Also, I could see Fabled Hero in the sideboard against certain decks (aggro?), but at that point I'd just rather a Boros Reckoner.

Lusiphur

Peasant
You have to remember the environment Grumpus is playing in. It is him and his friends, all newbies, with what cards they have bought to date. Thus concepts like always having creature removal available might not necessarily have propagated through his meta.
I still think his deck falls between two stools and is a master of neither. Aggro and Controldo notgo together.
BTW Grumpus, look into Cockatrice.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Well, if his friend is net-decking mono-black devotion then winning will require a certain amount of optimization. The arms race starts pretty quick among new players.
smile.png

Grumpus, if you really want to increase your win percentage without breaking the bank, the absolute best thing you can do is be the guy who knows the rules the best. Timing rules, how the stack works, and the million little corner cases in MTG are fairly opaque to most new players. If you know them better than the other guy, you have an advantage that cost you nothing.

Also, watch MTG on Twitch. You learn a lot just watching the pros.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you are drafting theros at FNM i highly recommend the LSV draft playlists on channel fireball's youtube channel. Even though he sometimes drafts janky weird stuff he always explains every pick and turn. I'm a fan of the Limited Resources channel as well, lots of good limited knowledge to be gained from Simon and Marshal.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Just got back from my first ever draft, went 6-0.
biggrin.png

In my second pack I opened a foil Satyr Hedonist, Erebos, God Of The Dead, and Temple of Mystery.I think my pick out of that pack was Fanatic of Mogis. It nearly killed me to pass that shit. But I was already so far into White/Red , my deck was pretty focused for draft I felt and it payed off.

Edit- It was 6-0 not 8-0

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
How is the online version of this game? I have no desire to go the nearest nerd store, If i can play online and its halfway decent I will.

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Rules question.

Can creatures with summoning sickness be tapped towards convoke?

On the card sprout swarm, is the buyback cost added to the initial cost? Thus making you able to cast and buyback the spell entirely with convoke...

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Just got back from my first ever draft, went 6-0.
biggrin.png
You had over 32 people at your draft? Or, are you counting game wins rather then match wins?
Long as you win 2 out of 3 games, it's a match win. So, we normally just say 'I went 3-0' whether we won each match 2-0 or 2-1, since it's not quite as relevant.

Either way, well done.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
You had over 32 people at your draft? Or, are you counting game wins rather then match wins?
Long as you win 2 out of 3 games, it's a match win. So, we normally just say 'I went 3-0' whether we won each match 2-0 or 2-1, since it's not quite as relevant.

Either way, well done.
Oh, then yeah 3-0. Still learning.

I tried to pick a super low curve with all my bombs having bestow so that I could cause immediate threat if the game went long.

If I was up I would cast the creature and win the damage race. When I got behind I would wait and bestow my lower creatures for not so obvious threats if that makes sense.

In one game I had a Regathan Firecat bestowed with Celestial Archon and Hopeful Eidolon for a 9/6 Flying,Lifelink,First Strike on like turn 7-8

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
How is the online version of this game? I have no desire to go the nearest nerd store, If i can play online and its halfway decent I will.
the online version is shit. I've tried multiple times to play online, but the client was written by a bunch of high school students from another country.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Managed to top 32 a PTQ today playing mono-black devotion. Had three losses which were:

- Esper deck tuned specifically to kill mono-black devotion with main board Ashiok's and side boarded Jace, Memory Adept.
- Mirror match where after two marathon game he managed to grind me out. The guy was also more skilled and practiced than me so I'm not complaining.
- Mirror match where the guy had mainboard Erebos, God of the Deads, specifically for the mirror.

Overall it was a good day. I did get very lucky against a red devotion deck. He had a Hammer of Purphoros, hammer token, Burning Tree Emissary, and Purphoros on board. I had just a Desecration Demon and he sacrificed his Burning Tree Emissary to the Desecration Demon's trigger in order to tap it. This turned off Purphoros which cost him the game. After that he was completely on tilt and made it much that much easier for me beat him.

P.S. I hate the mono-black control mirror match.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I hate mono-black control in general. Pack Rat is the most obnoxious card in standard.
tongue.png

Went 3-1 at Modern this week, losing in my last round to a very good Jund player. Game 3 was very tough, with a turn 2 Liliana hitting the board early and pressuring my hand the entire game. It came down to him with Liliana, Tarmogoyf and Deathrite on board, me with 5 lands. I held a sixth land, Wurmcoil and Scapeshift when he ticked Liliana to 6 loyalty. If I kept land/Scapeshift, I would be one short of a kill and lose half my permanents to Lily, so I kept the Wurmcoil and played it on my turn. He ticked Lily down to kill it as expected, leaving me two tokens. He passed back, and I drew a seventh land but no longer had Scapeshift. On his turn, he -2'd Lily, played a second one, -2'd again and swung for lethal. Scapeshift was my next card.
frown.png

I still believe the Wurmcoil was the right play. I needed a blocker for his Tarmogoyf, and with Lily punishing my hand I couldn't dig my way out of a topdeck war. I sided in 4 Obstinate Baloth but never hit a damn one. If I had, the game would have been mind.

I really like the BGx decks though. I'm debating trying to build Rock, Jund or Junk this week to try it out. I feel sorta obligated to after spending money on Goyfs.