MTG thread

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Spoiler season has begun again!Journey into Nyx | MythicSpoiler.com

Also me and my play group are having a monthly Commander tournament with a trophy for the person who wins. Once a month we will have a 1 vs 1 bracket style single elimination commander tournament. If you win you need to play the same deck the next tournament until someone beats it. Every month you will get a engraving on the trophy with your name, the date and your commander on it. Standard commander banned list applies. Pretty excited about it, im playing Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind combo.

2aSmilu.jpg

Xalara

Golden Squire
Is it just me, or is the power level of Iroas far above that of the gods in Born of the Gods? Well, except maybe Xenagos.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Boros flavored aggro is already playable. Being able to drop something like that on the play turn 4 with two relevant combat effects that himself might also be an indestructible 7/4 is going to be pretty nuts.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Yeah, we'll see what happens. Worst case Drown in Sorrows/Anger of the Gods/the new black board wipe come back into vogue. Also, I liked that mono-green deck at SCG this weekend haha.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Is it just me, or is the power level of Iroas far above that of the gods in Born of the Gods? Well, except maybe Xenagos.
It looks stronger than it really is. He's a Dolmen Gate (a 2 mana artifact) plus a weaker Gruul War Chant on a big body. I don't think he is weak by any means, but I am not sure he slots as easily into the current RW decks as people seem to think. He's an unreliable blocker, and could lead to some blowouts in combat if he ends up removed (which isn't hard in this Standard). He can break a board stall wide open if he sticks, but if they nuke him then your combat math is annihilated.

A perfect curve out of 1 drop > 2 drop > 3 drop > Iroas sounds great until you realize that unimpeded, your first 3 creatures are already going to win for you. Without a Verdict, Soldier of the Pantheon > Precinct Captain > Brimaz are going to lock the game up on their own.

I'll say this though: he's light years ahead of Phenax, Karametra or Mogis, probably better than Ephara and about on par with Xenagos.

Chris

Potato del Grande
He is a worse Brave the Elements? If you have 7 devotion you are probally already winning.

It doesn't do any work on it's own to help you win the game.

Xalara

Golden Squire
The new Ajani seems pretty good. A lot of people seem negative on it but I think it will slot perfectly as a two of in Selesnya aggro decks since he comes down on the curve precisely when that deck needs more gas or needs to go big to tackle things like Polukranos. I could also see him in Bant Walkers as not only does he dig for Planeswalkers but he can dig out a Detention Sphere. Beyond that he gives naya monsters a shot in the arm, but I think the format is still a little too removal heavy for naya monsters to be tier one, never mind that Stormbreath Dragon presents some serious problems for that deck.

The spell I am most excited for so far? Setessian Tactics, it gives monsters a good answer to things like Pack Rat, Lifebane Zombie, and anything with flying.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I'm liking the spoilers a lot more than BotG so far. The gods are all at least interesting (Kruphix isn't a constructed god, but he'll be very strong for EDH), and so far there's no Champion of Stray Souls or other bullshit.

I'm planning on buying sealed product on this one, which I haven't done in a while.

but he can dig out a Detention Sphere
Quick nitpick here. Ajani can't actually find a Detention Sphere as he only allows you to find an aura. D Sphere is a non-aura enchantment. He would be super sweet if he allowed you to find any enchantment so you could put some random gods in the deck too.

This set looks way better than Born of the Gods (but that doesn't take much) and can actually change up the meta quite a bit. Can't wait for the end of the month!

Xalara

Golden Squire
You are right, either way there is some fun stuff you can do like EOT flash in Dictate of Kruphix, draw a card, leave mana open, then on your opponent's draw phase flash in a Notion Thief to steal their extra card.

I look forward to this set since it seems like we are going to finally get some new archetypes.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Also, Ajani CAN find gods, as they are creatures in all other zones regardless of your devotion.

Keranos is probably the best God of all the sets so far, toss up between him and Thassa but she requires a very specific deck to take advantage of the power. Once revelation rotates, barring some other OP card being spoiled, Keranos will likely be part of the engine for the next generation of control decks. We'll see more of an incremental card advantage control deck, rather then 1 for 1 based and then one big spell to get way ahead. Revealing a magma jet, dealing 5 total damage to a creature and then setting up your next two draws to do it again or draw extra is very exciting as a U/R fan.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, Keranos has me interested in a RWU control deck. I'm just hoping Pharika is worthwhile for the dredge deck that has been developing, or some kind of reanimator strategy.

Athreos almost can't be good, given the quality of other BW cards in the format already.

Xalara

Golden Squire
So Athreos... Holy crap. Also an interesting point was brought up today at PAX in that missing Keranos's ability is a games rule violation, not a missed trigger. That will be very problematic at competitive rules enforcement but dies present issues at casual rules enforcement.