MTG thread

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Just had the first Journey Into Nyx draft with my game group. We have a solid 6 people that play every weekend.

This set seems a lot more fun then BNG and Theros already. Seems more diverse. Everyone was playing very different decks. The winner this week won with mill deck that actually won from the mill 6-7 times.

Image.ashx

This thing was brutal to deal with.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Just bought my first ever booster box to get that out of the way. Kinda disappointed. 36 packs, 1 god...and it was Kruphix

Xalara

Golden Squire
In the long run Kruphix is probably one of the more valuable gods but yeah, right now he'd be a bit disappointing.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
So, just wanna get confirmation on this. I feel like I know the answer, but someone else disagreed and has me doubting myself.

If player A casts Detention sphere, which resolves, and the trigger targets an underworld connections (there are two in play) and player B responds by bouncing the targeted underworld connections, does D-sphere still exile the 2nd one or does the trigger fizzle?

One argument is that the target is no longer legal, which always fizzles an effect/spell, the other is that it has multiple targets and still does the remainder of the effect.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Just bought my first ever booster box to get that out of the way. Kinda disappointed. 36 packs, 1 god...and it was Kruphix
The average value of the top 20 cards of Journey into Nyx is 3,7? based onhttps://www.magiccardmarket.eu/Produ...e&sortDir=desc

You can do the math yourself I am sure. Wizards is putting out some horrible shit lately.

Long term nearly all of these cards will lose value, since I am sure no more then 5 total will be playable in legacy / modern.

Buy singles with a focus on lands if you want to spend money.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
For those of you who play modern heavily there is the Minneapolis GP coming up this weekend and I am between two builds that I like. Thoughts between Jund and Rock? Either way, I like the decks but between fetches, thoughtseize, and bob, it seems like the life loss would be crazy even with that 3 drop from the new set or finks.

Rock
4xTreetop Village
1xForest
4xSwamp
2xOvergrown Tomb
4xVerdant Catacombs
2xMarsh Flats
4xTwilight Mire
2xUrborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1xWoodland Cemetery
4xTarmogoyf
4xDark Confidant
4xScavenging Ooze
2xKitchen Finks
4xPhyrexian Obliterator
4xInquisition of Kozilek
2xThoughtseize
2xSlaughter Pact
3xAbrupt Decay
1xVictim of Night
2xMaelstrom Pulse
4xLiliana of the Veil
0x-----Sideboard-----
3xCreeping Corrosion
3xFulminator Mage
2xThoughtseize
2xGrafdigger's Cage
2xDeathmark
1xKitchen Finks
1xThrun, the Last Troll
1xSword of Light and Shadow

Jund
1 [SOM] Copperline Gorge
1 [UNH] Forest
1 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
1 [GTC] Stomping Ground
2 [RTR] Blood Crypt
2 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
2 [RTR] Overgrown Tomb
2 [WWK] Raging Ravine
2 [UNH] Swamp
2 [10E] Treetop Village
4 [SOM] Blackcleave Cliffs
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
1 [ISD] Olivia Voldaren
1 [MBS] Thrun, the Last Troll
1 [M13] Thundermaw Hellkite
4 [RAV] Dark Confidant
4 [M14] Scavenging Ooze
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
1 [M14] Chandra, Pyromaster
3 [ISD] Liliana of the Veil
2 [FUT] Slaughter Pact
3 [RTR] Abrupt Decay
4 [M11] Lightning Bolt
1 [ARB] Maelstrom Pulse
3 [THS] Thoughtseize
4 [ROE] Inquisition of Kozilek
SB: 1 [ISD] Olivia Voldaren
SB: 1 [ISD] Liliana of the Veil
SB: 1 [M11] Obstinate Baloth
SB: 2 [RTR] Rakdos Charm
SB: 1 [MBS] Creeping Corrosion
SB: 2 [ISD] Ancient Grudge
SB: 2 [THS] Anger of the Gods
SB: 2 [DKA] Grafdigger's Cage
SB: 3 [RTR] Slaughter Games

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
So, just wanna get confirmation on this. I feel like I know the answer, but someone else disagreed and has me doubting myself.

If player A casts Detention sphere, which resolves, and the trigger targets an underworld connections (there are two in play) and player B responds by bouncing the targeted underworld connections, does D-sphere still exile the 2nd one or does the trigger fizzle?

One argument is that the target is no longer legal, which always fizzles an effect/spell, the other is that it has multiple targets and still does the remainder of the effect.
Detention Sphere (Return to Ravnica) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering

10/1/2012 If the target nonland permanent is an illegal target when the enters-the-battlefield ability tries to resolve, it will be countered and none of its effects will happen. No permanents will be exiled, including those with the same name as the target.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
For those of you who play modern heavily there is the Minneapolis GP coming up this weekend and I am between two builds that I like. Thoughts between Jund and Rock? Either way, I like the decks but between fetches, thoughtseize, and bob, it seems like the life loss would be crazy even with that 3 drop from the new set or finks.
It's a lot of life loss, yeah. You have to make sure you fetch on your own turn as often as possible. I'm not really sold on that list you posted, either. For one thing, no Courser of Kruphix. The 2/4 body does a lot of work, and it dramatically improves your top decking potential while gaining you some very relevant life.

Olivia, Thrun, Thundermaw AND Chandra in a Bob deck seems excessive. Thundermaw in particular seems out of place. Also, 4 Oozes will just cannibalize one another. Unless you're really worried about graveyard shenanigans, 3 (or even 2 main / 1 side) is fine.

It's a lot of life loss, yeah. You have to make sure you fetch on your own turn as often as possible. I'm not really sold on that list you posted, either. For one thing, no Courser of Kruphix. The 2/4 body does a lot of work, and it dramatically improves your top decking potential while gaining you some very relevant life.

Olivia, Thrun, Thundermaw AND Chandra in a Bob deck seems excessive. Thundermaw in particular seems out of place. Also, 4 Oozes will just cannibalize one another. Unless you're really worried about graveyard shenanigans, 3 (or even 2 main / 1 side) is fine.
In all fairness other than swapping Courser for Finks (not a good choice IMO), Wuyley's Rock list is almost identical to one that wentundefeated day 1 in GP Richmond. The deck seems fine, but stick to the Courser over the Finks. I think the big ass will do a lot more work over the instant gratification of an extra life point.

There's also a Jund list that went undefeated. 4 CMC is usually the top end that you'd want in the deck and usually not more than 2 4s. Chandra P, Olivia V, Obstinate B, Huntmaster have always held the 4 slot. Thrun is more a recent addition, but he's so strong against certain decks that it's worth considering for sure.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
The average value of the top 20 cards of Journey into Nyx is 3,7? based onhttps://www.magiccardmarket.eu/Produ...e&sortDir=desc

You can do the math yourself I am sure. Wizards is putting out some horrible shit lately.

Long term nearly all of these cards will lose value, since I am sure no more then 5 total will be playable in legacy / modern.

Buy singles with a focus on lands if you want to spend money.
I put all the rares I got into a trade app, the current value of the rares I pulled is $110.11.

That's not to to bad I guess. Still, didn't get the things I was looking for really.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Rock
4xTreetop Village
1xForest
4xSwamp
2xOvergrown Tomb
4xVerdant Catacombs
2xMarsh Flats
4xTwilight Mire
2xUrborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1xWoodland Cemetery
4xTarmogoyf
4xDark Confidant
4xScavenging Ooze
2xKitchen Finks
4xPhyrexian Obliterator
4xInquisition of Kozilek
2xThoughtseize
2xSlaughter Pact
3xAbrupt Decay
1xVictim of Night
2xMaelstrom Pulse
4xLiliana of the Veil
0x-----Sideboard-----
3xCreeping Corrosion
3xFulminator Mage
2xThoughtseize
2xGrafdigger's Cage
2xDeathmark
1xKitchen Finks
1xThrun, the Last Troll
1xSword of Light and Shadow

Jund
1 [SOM] Copperline Gorge
1 [UNH] Forest
1 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
1 [GTC] Stomping Ground
2 [RTR] Blood Crypt
2 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
2 [RTR] Overgrown Tomb
2 [WWK] Raging Ravine
2 [UNH] Swamp
2 [10E] Treetop Village
4 [SOM] Blackcleave Cliffs
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
1 [ISD] Olivia Voldaren
1 [MBS] Thrun, the Last Troll
1 [M13] Thundermaw Hellkite
4 [RAV] Dark Confidant
4 [M14] Scavenging Ooze
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
1 [M14] Chandra, Pyromaster
3 [ISD] Liliana of the Veil
2 [FUT] Slaughter Pact
3 [RTR] Abrupt Decay
4 [M11] Lightning Bolt
1 [ARB] Maelstrom Pulse
3 [THS] Thoughtseize
4 [ROE] Inquisition of Kozilek
SB: 1 [ISD] Olivia Voldaren
SB: 1 [ISD] Liliana of the Veil
SB: 1 [M11] Obstinate Baloth
SB: 2 [RTR] Rakdos Charm
SB: 1 [MBS] Creeping Corrosion
SB: 2 [ISD] Ancient Grudge
SB: 2 [THS] Anger of the Gods
SB: 2 [DKA] Grafdigger's Cage
SB: 3 [RTR] Slaughter Games
What're your expectations? Do you just want to Day 2? Cash? Top 16?

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I have been playing steady now for about 3-4 months. Going to try my hand at an FNM. This is the deck i'm going to try.

Golgari aggro ( MTG Deck)

Whatcha think?

I can sac the Master of The Feasts with Jarad if they get me in trouble with the draw.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
What're your expectations? Do you just want to Day 2? Cash? Top 16?
I just want a fun, competitive deck that won't get ROFL stomped by the vast majority of the meta. I had to go with a Jund build because I have 0 Obliterator's and Twilight Mire's. Eventhough I have all the old school goyfs, bobs, thoughtseizes etc., I still need to buy a couple Wasteland Mages and jesus has card prices gotten redic lately. Is it just because its modern season or do they not even have "seasons" anymore like back in extended days?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Fulminator Mage has been well over $30 for at least the last year. It's dumb, yeah, but it's also the linchpin card of a tier 2 deck that a lot of newer players enjoy (Living End).

I have a set that I've thought about trying to move off of sooner rather than later, since Fulminator will almost certainly be reprinted. Same with Chord of Calling. I just worry that trading away my set shuts off my deck options and I'll end up needing to find them again.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just want a fun, competitive deck that won't get ROFL stomped by the vast majority of the meta. I had to go with a Jund build because I have 0 Obliterator's and Twilight Mire's. Eventhough I have all the old school goyfs, bobs, thoughtseizes etc., I still need to buy a couple Wasteland Mages and jesus has card prices gotten redic lately. Is it just because its modern season or do they not even have "seasons" anymore like back in extended days?
Jund is one of the decks I play in Modern and despite not having DRS it's still a great deck. You're just not going to get any free wins like you could before. Turn 2 Liliana was great, but the real loss of DRS is not being able to cast 2 spells a turn in the early game.

Affinity is a pretty bad match up (2 of my 3 losses at GP Richmond) and pretty common, so be prepared for that.