MTG thread

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
is mono green infect still the 1 trick pony of hoping for a star's align 10 point infect swing on turn 2?
It isn't quite that reductive, but those hands do happen. Roughly 1 in 8-10 games you just get to win for free at almost Legacy speed. If you can't get there by turn 3, it gets harder and harder to make the math work from there. Infect is a glass cannon that only has one real shot. The skill (such as it is) boils down to when you decide to fire.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
So basically Charbelcher all over again with 2 more turns to set up and no fear of FoW.
Eh, a little bit. Charbelcher is a much more traditional (and stronger) combo deck. Infect is like running a deck full evasive Fencing Aces and pump spells. It is more like a burn deck that uses the combat step than Charbelcher.

Strossus

Silver Knight of the Realm
only thing i have for Modern is fish, and i feel its just a bad deck overall. my edh and lack of ability to go around trading makes for a lack of another deck for me to play.
and standard I just play BUG control, which is fun

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
rrr_img_69145.jpg

4-0 first try.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just started my first sealed - MOX SAPPHIRE BABY - also Channel and Demonic Tutor.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah Cursed Scroll was MVP in the last match. Just so good with the wild mongrels. All the other matches were blowouts.

Vaclav

Man I'm loving VMA - averaging, thanks to P9 opens and decent play of almost 50 tix of profit per sealed event. (Of course some of that is skewed by that 285 tix opening above, but still)

Run 8 events as of last night, and ended the night with 387 tix between tix and packs. And that includes scrubbing out on a few and only 4-0'ing once or twice. Mostly 3-1's with a few 2-2's though.

Sure, almost $200 a day (about ~6 hrs each day with overlapping events and such - with enough breaks in between rounds when I'm not doubling to work on Batman: AA for the first time) of "work" ain't much, but when your entertainment for the day is paying you that much, that's pretty damn sweat.

PS - Never been to Vegas, getting the feeling I should avoid it after how this is hitting me - or at the very least stick to a strict budget.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
PS - Never been to Vegas, getting the feeling I should avoid it after how this is hitting me - or at the very least stick to a strict budget.
Probably not the right thread, but I would recommend a strict budget while in Vegas. I give myself a daily limit that I bring in cash and I leave my credit/debit cards in the hotel room to make sure that there is distance between me and a poor/drunk decision. It has always worked out well for me. Not so much for my friends that laugh at the system.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
jtteqEy.jpg

Another 4-0!

11-1 in matches across 3 events. I should probably do the premier events.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Parallax Wave was even more insane than I remember it being in Masque block drafts.

Vaclav

Yea, the more I think about it - these are exceptionally easy because of how few players understand all the formats it mixes up I think. Can't count the number of "How the hell does madness work?" questions I've answered in these so far.

On track to 3-1 my one that's almost over (1-0 in the final match ATM and lethal set up for next turn if he doesn't do anything special while he's taking this LOOOOONG turn) and 2-0 with my alternate I just started. Neither of which has any right to do that well...

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I get the feeling a lot of people are doing these sealed just to spend tickets to open packs directly, to play the Mox Lotto. A lot of round 1 drops from what I've seen.

Competition is just really light in the sealed queues.

Vaclav

Dry on luck today - ended up with a slight loss (350ish down from 380 - packs inflated slightly though, lost about 40 but old pack figure was selling at 6.5, and selling at 7.15 ATM) - think I'm calling it on VMA and sitting on a 340 tix profit.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Was helping a friend clean out the house he had been renting to some other folks for the last five years or so. They left it absolutely filthy, but we found a deck box full of Zendikar era cards in Chandra Ablaze sleeves. Basically a whole red/green block deck... and a random Jace, the Mind Sculptor flipped the other way.

Not the most exciting find ever, but it was a pleasant surprise given all the useless shit left behind.