MTG thread

Xalara

Golden Squire
I could see the card as a one or two of in aggro strategies since land flood is a huge issue and they can operate on 2-3 mana. Of course, Hammer of Purphoros might be better.

Edit: The card might have modern implications for burn. Also are there any decks that can reliably cheat lands into play outside of Bloom Titan in modern? I don't think Bloom Titan is a good home since it relies on abusing bounce lands but yeah.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Best case scenario, you're getting 4 cards for 3 cards (cast, activate twice, sac two lands and draw 4). Given that it's 4 cmc already, why not just play Chandra and get a phantom card each turn without all the land constraints?

Fireblast worked because it could provide a lot of additional reach in a deck that could operate on very few land. It was also probably way too strong for the current standard, but this doesn't provide the same kind of gas.

I don't hate the card, it really wins on flavor. I'm just not sure where it would ever see play.

Strossus

Silver Knight of the Realm
had a guy this FNM playing swords to plowshares & Brainstorms, I tried to be nice and let him know they were not standard legal, he was upset, "Man these cards are good they should be standard legal"
yeaah

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
The idea is to have amulet of vigor out and cast summer bloom and play the tapped lands 4 times in a row to cast omniscience into enter the infinite then cast boroybos and discard all the lands to kill my opponent

With a perfect hand I can do it on turn 3 but its been happening more around turn 6-7

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Lol I'm still chuckling about Brainstorm being legal in Modern. I mean, they had to ban Ponder AND Preordain.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Brainstorm is a card I find to be very interesting. It wasn't regarded highly when it was first released (and for good reason, shuffle effects were incredibly far and few between) and I know that it starts to become a problem with Urza Block but I wonder if there was a time prior where it could have really been exploited and just wasn't.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Brainstorm is a card I find to be very interesting. It wasn't regarded highly when it was first released (and for good reason, shuffle effects were incredibly far and few between) and I know that it starts to become a problem with Urza Block but I wonder if there was a time prior where it could have really been exploited and just wasn't.
There were plenty of shuffle effects, people just sucked balls.

Same story with lion's eye diamond, took people years to figure out how to play it. While having shit like vampiric tutor & brainstorm around.

LED would have been solid in a prosbloom deck way back then, but noone at the time ever saw it.

Xalara

Golden Squire
The idea is to have amulet of vigor out and cast summer bloom and play the tapped lands 4 times in a row to cast omniscience into enter the infinite then cast boroybos and discard all the lands to kill my opponent

With a perfect hand I can do it on turn 3 but its been happening more around turn 6-7
With that much mana you are better off casting an entwined "Tooth and Nail", searching for a "Xenagos, God of Revels" and an "Emrakul, the Aeons Torn" A hasted Emrakul with +15/+15 is a scary sight.

My deck in modern is also an " Amulet of Vigor" deck, and honestly you are better off going with a build that utilizes "Primeval Titan" and "Hive Mind" as win cons. It let's you go off on turn two fairly often and turn three most of the time. Plus if you go with the version that did well at the pro tour that uses "Simian Spirit Guide" you can sometimes go off on turn one.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Just opened a mox emerald, force of will and 2 duals in a vintage masters sealed.

Could have done worse
tongue.png

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I love how they put a sliver land into m15 when most of the slivers are about to rotate. Clever, wizards.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
5 uncommons and a mythic rare sliver, per the article Monday.

Part of me kinda hates slivers, and part of me kinda wants to build combo slivers for modern...