MTG thread

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
You don't need to worry about it quite like that. Pain lands aren't really that much worse than shocks in standard. In older formats, they're miles worse because they're not fetchable. However, you can always tap a pain land for colorless, so it's fairly easy to manage the damage that they cause.

Like if I play white black. And I have 4 pain lands in the deck. And 1 Urborg. By the time I draw a Urborg would the damage I take from my pain lands at that point make them as effecient as a shock land?

If im playing Orzhov control with Liliana Vess would it make sense to use her search to get my Urborg?

Im still really new to this game and land math is fucking confusing. I dont like the feel of the way some stuff plays but I read that its better.

Like scry lands feel so slow. If im just playing white black would mana confluence or temple of silence be better if I have Urborg.
If you're playing BW control, you're probably best off to have 11 or 12 non-basics. I would probably play 4 Temple of Silence, 3-4 Godless Shrine, and 3-4 Caves of Koilos. As a controllish deck, your worst enemy is an aggro deck. You need to survive the early turns until your more powerful spells can take over. You don't really want to take extra damage from Mana Confluence and you're also not super reliant on colored mana (by this I mean most of your spells have a lot of colorless mana in the cost). You should eventually be off setting that life loss by some combination of Blood Baron, Obzedat, Gray Merchant and Whip so you should probably get away with all 12 non-basic.

Scry lands are so good in that kind of deck because you get a chance to influence your draw step. I play RW burn a lot and love my Temples. Of course it comes back to bite me when I'd rather have an untapped land, but the benefit outweighs the con.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Moving forward in to Khans I want to consolidate my decks in to one competitive deck. And im leaning heavy toward Orzhov control.

Lilianna
Elspeth
Thoughtseize
Heros Downfall
Banishing Light
Stain the Mind
Etc

So I should invest in Temple of Silence, Caves of Koilos, Mana Confluence, Urborg. And maybe Llanowar Wastes in case the WBG wedge is any good.

Also would Radient Fountain be worth it for off setting pain lands/confluence?

By invest in I mean trade for.

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's times like this when people talk about complicated land colour math and taking damage from them, that I think of my Glimmervoids and smile
smile.png

Xalara

Golden Squire
The damage you take is irrelevant so long as you win the game before your opponent does. In the case of aggro this means running Painlands, Shocklands, and Mana Confluence over temples. This is the same reason why aggro decks sometimes run Eidolon of the Great Revel. Yes it will do a lot of damage to you, but it'll usually do more harm to your opponent.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Also if you like building decks always trade for a play set of lands. It is always useful. I don't think the pain lands will go up in price much more though.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
The damage you take is irrelevant so long as you win the game before your opponent does. In the case of aggro this means running Painlands, Shocklands, and Mana Confluence over temples. This is the same reason why aggro decks sometimes run Eidolon of the Great Revel. Yes it will do a lot of damage to you, but it'll usually do more harm to your opponent.
I want to try a Boros deck with Eidolons and Resolute archangels
smile.png

Flight

Molten Core Raider
If you are looking ahead and thinking about your deck the following info is useful. Firstly the three wedges in Tarkir :

rrr_img_73558.png

Early feedback on top tribe picks from a poll on Salvation :

rrr_img_73559.png

Wedge info taken from the following, which is worth a watch :

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I am sooo excited for the EDH potential of the General. I think I might do every pre release to try and get the promos.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
I am sooo excited for the EDH potential of the General. I think I might do every pre release to try and get the promos.
Do you meanTeferi? He's nuts.

rrr_img_73561.jpg

As if Blue - especially with cycling or draw - needed any kind of boost after the deck that Floch got to the Pro Tour Final with last week, of course WotC had no way to predict that happening when they made the Commander decks. May as well post that up while I mention it - brilliant match well worth watching :

The decks :

Floch
rrr_img_73562.jpg

Cunningham
rrr_img_73563.jpg

Floch running practically creatureless with the kind of spoiler deck that makes you think the guy running it is an asshat if you have to play against it, Cunngingham - in his first ever major event, running pure Green creature aggro. It is kind of not a great advert for the game because Cunningham faced repeated Mana draught throughout the competition - and ironically in my opinion not taking a mulligan when he should have drawing 4 lands in one final game. Green has been my favorite colour since the game launched so I was rooting for Cunningham big time.

TLDR on the match and result :

Game goes to 2-2. In the final game Floch moves in his Nyx-fleece Rams from his sideboard, takes a mulligan and draws a devastating combo of two of the Rams combined with an Archangel of Thune in the very early game. Floch wins it 3-2.

rrr_img_73565.jpg
rrr_img_73564.png

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I mean the wedge generals from Khans, every clan has a legendary general or whatever with its wedges colours

Sterling

El Presidente
The new Teferi planeswalker will not be legal for standard play. He's a decent card for commander, but won't likely make for a great commander since if you're doing mono blue the old Teferi, Vendillion Clique, Azami, or Arcanis all make for better commanders.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Really excited for Khans since Its my first Standard rotation since I started playing in January.

I am celebrating by having no money in the bank.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Once we get into spoiler season it'll be fun to test new brews on xmage. Rotation will be nice since most of the annoying cards outside of Thoughtseize are rotating. If I can't find something spicy before the new FNM I'll probably fall back on Naya Walkers since almost none of its cards are rotating and it is a good tier 1.5/2 strategy. If course rotation changes everything so it could be garbage in the new standard.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Going out to portland next week to visit a buddy. Bringing along a few decks with me to play around with since I haven't really touched magic since he moved. Got this one put together today, was wondering if anyone had any tweaks to make. We're not super heavy into the game since we just mainly played within a group of 5-6 people and only both got into it around 13th edition. Ideas?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/15-08-14-orzhov-control/

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
I like raid because it encourages people to attack, is simple, but could still have a lot of depth. As for morph, you can never go wrong with morph lol.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I'm betting there will be at least 1 really pushed raid card. Morph I dunno... it's just such a damn bore.