MTG thread

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Going out to portland next week to visit a buddy. Bringing along a few decks with me to play around with since I haven't really touched magic since he moved. Got this one put together today, was wondering if anyone had any tweaks to make. We're not super heavy into the game since we just mainly played within a group of 5-6 people and only both got into it around 13th edition. Ideas?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/15-08-14-orzhov-control/
Lifebane zombie means you must hate your friends.

Fidlen

Lord Nagafen Raider
So im finally getting back into MTG after 12 years. I think the last cards I bought were in the Urza era. I dont intend on playing in tournys, just with some friends at home. I went through my old cards and found a Rishadan Port. Apparently its worth a fair amount of money. What would some of you experts recommend I invest the card money and future dollars into? Should I just buy booster boxes and try to make the best deck with what is included? Or is there a better route I should be taking? Also invest in M15 or wait until the new set comes out in Sept?

Chris

Potato del Grande
For friends at home don't bother with Standard (last two sets + core set currently M15), buy a multiplayer product like Commander (100 cards/ 1 of each max, you have a commander card which is a legendary creature you can always play if you have the mana) or Conspiracy (regular 60 cards / 4 of each, with some new drafting mechanics). Both have sets out this year with cards designed for more than one player in the game, I'd suggest Commander as it's very popular and they keep printing new decks/cards for it though you can make your own buying a premade has you and your friends good to go.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
So im finally getting back into MTG after 12 years. I think the last cards I bought were in the Urza era. I dont intend on playing in tournys, just with some friends at home. I went through my old cards and found a Rishadan Port. Apparently its worth a fair amount of money. What would some of you experts recommend I invest the card money and future dollars into? Should I just buy booster boxes and try to make the best deck with what is included? Or is there a better route I should be taking? Also invest in M15 or wait until the new set comes out in Sept?
It depends on what you want to end up with card wise and how often you plan to play. If you want to collect slowly and don't plan to have game night that often I would split a booster box between you and draft. Unused packs as prizes but with everyone getting a couple extra packs. Half the fun is opening packs anyways. It also lets folks amass a fair sized pool of cards to casually build/trade with and is a fairly easy way to train newer players to build decks.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Interesting article talking about a winding in of cheap spot removal and sweeps :Developing Annihilation | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

Key point for me is when he says :

The tail end of Lorwyn-era Standard, when Magic 2010 was released, had no four-mana sweeper, for example. The world didn't end

Aggro seems to be in a good place right now with a number of powerful cards and more to come in Khans. With this change it may well be in its best place ever, which is great for all us green fans. For example, it was great to see Cunningham with almost pure green aggro in the Pro Tour final - and that before the rotation out of a series of removal cards which we won't see in the short to medium term future.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Talking about Lorwyn/Shards of Alara Standard. No 4 mana sweeper then.
Ah threw it on the wrong end - but Cryptic Command still filled a number of the same roles at the time in the 4CC slot, giving the same window of opportunity. (Frankly better in many ways)

Saying there wasn't a 4CC sweeper while Cryptic Command was giving an even stronger replacement in the same slot in most cases, is a bit silly.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
How hilarious would it be if Damnation was the 4 mana Wrath in Khans.
"Finally, with Rotation we are free of Mono-Black Control- Oh, you fucking bitch."

Chris

Potato del Grande
They won't reprint Damnation in Standard. Ever.

It was meant as an alternate reality colour pie bending reference to Wrath of God, I don't think they will bend the colour pie like that again unless they think up another alternate reality type set. Unless that is the twist on the Khans block structure
smile.png

Sterling

El Presidente
I don't think not having a 4 mana sweeper would be all bad at least for a little while. And I do love me some U/W normally. Drown in Sorrows exists. Anger of the Gods exists. Both of these are often better than Supreme Verdict currently anyways.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If there's no 4 mana wrath then URW decks with anger + elspeth are probably going to be the premium control decks. Stock up on your UR and WR Scry lands if you don't have them.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
What Mist said. Unless Khans really shakes things up, RWU Control is going to be a big deal. Keranos is turning out to be pretty damn powerful. It was all over the place at the modern PTQ I was in yesterday.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Control will still have the following which I expect to come to the fore :

rrr_img_73877.jpg
rrr_img_73878.jpg
rrr_img_73879.jpg
rrr_img_73880.jpg

Just no 4 cost sweep.

As far as Gods are concerned yeah I think Keranos is the real deal, but I can't believe they added Deicide to the game at the end of the 'Gods' block. Possibly the worst/most annoying card I've ever seen because even if you only run one God the opponent still gets to look through your hand and deck, if I read the card right.

rrr_img_73881.jpg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Aetherspouts is absolutely terrible. 5 mana open is so obvious. I've seen it not even be good in limited a bunch of times.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Isn't the bigger issue Sphinx's Revelation going away? It's not the verdict that wins the game for control, it's usually the 2nd Rev.