MTG thread

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I was able to turn all of the $5+ cards (Wasteland $100 uncommon, really?) into 3 Standard decks plus multiple play sets of non-rotating out dual lands and useful cards. I have drafted every FNM since I started back as well. I bought a few boxes of cards also. Total spent in under 3 weeks around 50 bucks after trade value from my sets.
You're going to regret getting rid of that Wasteland when your friends rope you into playing legacy.
smile.png

(Sounds like a good deal, actually.)

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
Na still have 4 from the deck I played with it for a PTQ in the 90's. For some strange reason I kept all my PTQ decks that I ever qualified for the Pro Tour with. Still sleeved in the deck box I bought at the PTQ. Was a mono red Tempest constructed block qualifier. So it had burn goblins, sandstalkers, suquata lancers, burn and wastelands. I lost 2 games total that day, not matches but games. Then went 4-3 at Pro Tour Chicago 98 extended.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Finding Wastelands in old collections is the primary signal that a collection hasn't been stripped before being sold. I love digging through old boxes and finding stuff like that.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Gents,

Looking for a couple ideas on new decks to make; ideally Standard or Modern (my current decks don't fit these models)

As I look through what I've got, 3/4s of them are aggro of some kind and whenever I think of new decks to make (new color combos, really) they always seem to end up with the same formula: must be fast, must have card draw or mana ramp.

Here's what I've got currently for decks: 60s = B/U mill, B aggro, B/G aggro, U/W aggro, U/R burn, G elf/surge, U/G aggro. Commanders = Kaalia, Riku, Nekusar.

I was thinking about a W/B spirit 60 and a Sydri/artifact commander since I've never had an artifact deck and it wouldn't be so similar (one of the reasons I love Nekusar is it's different from my other stuff).

Bottom line is, I'm comfortable with speed and that's what I think every deck needs. However, I know that's not the case all the time. SO, ideas for stepping out of the (my) norm? Thanks!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Aggro decks need not only to be explosive but also need reach to close out a game after a sweeper or a showstopping set of blockers.

Midrange decks need to make sure every threat is a potential game ender against control.

Control decks need answers to every expected deck and enough draw spells to find the one you need.

There, that's everything you ever needed to know about any standard format. If your deck doesn't pass the appropriate above tests, it sucks.

As for commander, everyone should probably own either a Maelstrom Wanderer or Prime Speaker deck. :p Sometimes you just have go get large.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Speaking of standard, my local meta has a ridiculous amount of rabble red so I have taken to running Circle of Flame in my sideboard to hilarious results.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Speaking with little experience since you mention various combos of U aggro decks: Merfolk is in all formats at the moment with a varying number of common cards. Modern will net you some legacy and some standard overlap cards.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Aggro decks need not only to be explosive but also need reach to close out a game after a sweeper or a showstopping set of blockers.

Midrange decks need to make sure every threat is a potential game ender against control.

Control decks need answers to every expected deck and enough draw spells to find the one you need.

There, that's everything you ever needed to know about any standard format. If your deck doesn't pass the appropriate above tests, it sucks.

As for commander, everyone should probably own either a Maelstrom Wanderer or Prime Speaker deck. :p Sometimes you just have go get large.
I'll concede I'm new to standard rules because I don't follow the tournament scene, or participate in it. But, as far as deck building is concerned, my decks win. I've been playing since Beta - with a break in purchasing any cards between Invasion and Theros, however. One of our play group has Wanderer so I wouldn't want to copy that. Basically, I'm looking for deck ideas that don't revolve around speed/aggro like most of my current decks. Casual, fun, competitive, w/e. Just ideas from other MTG addicts.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
They show up from time to time. Innistrad had some reanimator strategies that could combo out with Angel of Glory's Rise. That's probably the most recent. Splinter Twin also mostly worked one block earlier. I thought Seismic Swans was pretty cool.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Amazing. Zen era drafts were okay but Alara and Tide block drafts were sooooooooooooooo fucking good. Don't even get me started on RoE drafts. Probably put those even with tide block.
My favorite drafts/sealed were Lorwyn/Morningtide & Eventide/Shadowtide. The Leiges and the hybrid mana cards were just too much fun. You had some ridiculous shit too, so it was really exciting to draft and watch your deck come together. Also won a huge event in London with an Oona sealed that was a lot of fun.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
My modern manabase is going to get so greedy with this.

Turn 2 Domri Rade Turn 3 Phyrexian Obliterator DREAM (So bad)

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Turn 4 you mean, no? Or are elves of deep shadow in modern or an equivalent I'm blanking on?

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
Elvish Mystics, current core edition of Llanowar Elves. G for 1/1 tap for one G mana. And Domri Rade is 1GR casting cost Planeswalker.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Obliterator is BBBB was the crux of the issue I was seeing, not Domri - lots of 1 mana to accelerate Domri.

Sterling

El Presidente
Turn 1 Green land > Birds of Paradise.
Turn 2 black land > Domri
Turn 3 Twilight Mire > Obliterator.

Don't even need the new fetches! The idea is cool, but doubt it would work well in practice on average.