MTG thread

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
You just don't know how to invest. That's why you think the market is rigged. It's all rosey cheeks and free dollars if you aren't a n00b.

Oh, except for the massive and systemic fraud that occurs on a day to day basis. But I've got some rental properties and an upper middle income to let me tell you all about how wrong you are.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I need some magic-related real estate tips; I think I need to buy a second house for storing and sorting CCGs in. Ain't no damn room left in the closets for putting away holiday decorations...

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Anyone get themselves a play mat?
Sorry for the late reply, rerolled doesn't seem to load on my desktop, think I've got a bug going with my browser.
Anyway, I won a mat, but I made a deal with my last round opponent to give it to him for his thunderbreak promo. They are worth roughly the same, would have just ebay'd it since I don't overly like the sarkhan mat, and I've got 345968 other mats to choose from (if I'm gonna use a 'champion mat' it'd be the one i got at states). Heck, I won a super IQ on saturday instead of playing game day, and I literally forgot to pick up my top8 mat from the table before I left, that's how little I care about more playmats. Half the time I'm giving them away to newer players at my store.

As for control dominating, it's definitely a solid deck. But, I've been playing Atarka red the last week and a half, and I'm surprised it's not showing up more. It's more resilient/consistent then most red aggro decks, and it's a bad matchup for most of these control lists. If they start running 4 bile blight and 4 drown in the 75, plus 3-4 foul tongue invocation, it might get worse, but they aren't currently. Sometimes I wonder if the best players just don't give aggro decks enough credit and dismiss them, leading to those decks having a lower top 8 appearance. With a few exceptions, such as Tom Ross.
Kind of like how G/W devo fell off after dominating for a week, partially just because no one played it. In that instance there were factors such as 'it's miserable to play with/against' and people figured it had a target on it's head, but it never really stopped being a good deck, just not as many people played it for whatever reason.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I don't think I saw a single control deck beat an Atarka Red on either day. The control players were confidant in the match up believing they were favored after game two and it never, ever manifested. That deck reminds me very much of the old style of red where you really only need to get in a few points of creature damage before your burn can finish the game. Playing against it I'm constantly having "Jackal Pup Mogg Flunky Ball Lightning" and "Bolt Bolt Fireblast Fireblast" flashbacks. It just does so much damage so quickly and efficiently. Anyone who underestimates it hasn't been murdered by little red dudes enough in their lives.

pablos

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm still relatively new and have a question about the card impact tremors if I have more than one copy in play does it ping my opponent multiple times or does it just do it once?

The guy I was playing against said that an enchantment with the same name doesn't trigger multiple times.

Card Text:
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, Impact Tremors deals 1 damage to each opponent.

I'm still relatively new and have a question about the card impact tremors if I have more than one copy in play does it ping my opponent multiple times or does it just do it once?

The guy I was playing against said that an enchantment with the same name doesn't trigger multiple times.

Card Text:
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, Impact Tremors deals 1 damage to each opponent.
Your opponent is wrong.

When a creature enters the battlefield it will trigger each enchantment. You place each trigger on the stack in any order. Your opponent can respond to each trigger, but unless he's playing something crazy like voidslime or trickbind (nothing that's legal in Standard currently) each trigger will resolve independently and deal 1 damage to each opponent.

pablos

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thank you for the quick reply and just to clarify.
2 copies of impact tremors in play and I play a creature card and my opponent loses two life, correct?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Cards always do what they say. If the effects would naturally stack, then they stack.

Example: you and an opponent both have an Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth in play. Both cards say "All lands are swamps in addition to other types." BOTH are having a continuous effect on the game state. It's just that they're doing the same thing, so it's redundant. Technically, they're still both taking effect (in time stamp order).

For something like Tremors, each card will trigger individually, so the effect happens twice.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Invasion onwards, so that means whomever made the rules really really wanted to play UG madness.
HOW DID YOU KNOW? First match, against guy who runs FNM, UG Madness. Thanks to you I didn't have to read his cards and even won the game.

I then had the joy of Hypergenesis Casade, what the fuck. Didn't even know my Chalice of the Void was a counter, next time I'll have 4 in the sideboard. I lost of course.

Then I beat Dredge and Jace Control to go 3-1 and come joint 1st with the Hyergenesis and UG Madness guys, 2nd on tiebreaks I think.

So ironically my deck is banned so far that even Darksteel Citadel is gone, but everyone else is running around with banned legacy cards xD

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Grabbit did you see there's a Lotus tournament in Georgia in like, two weeks? $10 entry.

It's a grand opening event for some new shop.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
What is the thoughts on people like me (Playing since revised, has about 95% of the cards in Modern Masters 2) about getting a box of MM2? Usually my group gets a box or two to causally draft with but I am not sure the price point is worth it for a box of MM2. Granted you can get get foils but not sure if the singles will be worth it. Now granted only like 5 cards have been spoiled so far but overall, what was peoples ROI on MM1?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I haven't made my mind up yet on MM2. For MM1, I was stupid lucky and got a box at MSRP virtually paid for on store credit, so I came out like a bandit. I can get boxes of MM2 slightly under retail on preorder, but I'm currently ambivalent. I shipped anything I thought might tank as a result of a reprint like Cryptics, Hierarchs, Goblin Guides, Splinter Twins, Spellskites, etc. I kept a small handful of things like old art Cliques and singletons of Elesh Norn and Iona for Reanimator, but everything else I just dumped. I'll burn the credit up on foils and judge promos that aren't going to depreciate.

Honestly? I don't need it. Even the things that don't end up in MM2, I'm positive I can snag again at the end of summer for less than I just sold them for. I'm not even sure it's going to be worth opening packs. Yes, the packs are expensive. Yes, they'll have strong cards. However, SO MANY packs are being opened that I'm fairly sure MM2 is going to do a really great job of satisfying demand in the short term. For a guy like me who hates drafting, just buying singles as they flood the market is probably a better investment.

The one thing I definitely want to have handy is trade stock to scoop up staples. I've been going hard on things like Abrupt Decay and Snapcaster so that I've got plenty of them to flip for MM2 reprints.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I'd ship them, honestly, but foil Cryptics aren't a huge multiplier anyway. It sees zero legacy play, so the foils are affordable(ish).

The one thing bolstering MM1 cards is going to be the new card frame on MM2. With the first print run, MM rares were identical to the original printing except the set symbol. You can mix/match them in the same deck for the most part and no one really notices. That won't be the case for any reprints in MM2, and the sort of people chasing expensive modern rares are also the sorts that want them all to match. I know it would annoy the shit out of me to have two MM1 copies of a card, and two MM2s that don't match.

edit: It's also worth noting that you can pick up some reasonable value right now off people trying to dump cards ahead of reprints. I snagged 2 pack Emrakuls and a Cryptic last night for a Scrubland, Marsh Flats, and True-Name Nemesis. All 3 cards would have to drop pretty dramatically for me to lose value on that.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Wouldn't surprise me if in a small number of years they create a new Modern where only new card frame cards are legal, what with the pace forgeries are improving at.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Never happen. Certainly not where reprints from editions previous to M15 aren't allowed. People just wouldn't play it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Wouldn't surprise me if in a small number of years they create a new Modern where only new card frame cards are legal, what with the pace forgeries are improving at.
It'll be like 6-8 years at the least, before they come up with a new non-rotating format.