MTG thread

Taloo_sl

shitlord
First Magic game played in over 2 decades, and my pre-release was a total blast. I had so much fun. $30 entry, 4-0 got 12 packs, 2-2 or worse got nothing. I obviously left with nothing, but felt really good about my deck. I could have played tighter and been 3-1, but I failed. That said, with 85 players, 0 expeditions cracked. My rares were all crap, I got 2 copies of my promo card, which was a heavy green with trample...nothing worth writing home about in the first place. Still, it was a VERY positive experience, and I am definitely going to start playing more. Actually have a box of BFZ on order.
Gotta beat the odds in a bad way sometimes. Had a Misty and a shock opened at the midnight I went to. Shop back home had a ... 2nd most expensive U/X fetch and one of the slow lands at their midnight. 2/pre-release has been about the average from what I've heard so far (40-60+ players).

Glad you had a good time and decided to get back into it! That's what pre-releases are all about haha. Not a fan of the 2-X or nothing bullshit myself. Think I mentioned in my first post I gave five of my seven packs to the folks who stuck around and didn't get shit. Having fun is all that matters though. Wish I'd been able to attend another flight at a different shop. Got an hours notice that I started my new job today instead... fuckers.

Don't take this the wrong way since I don't know how experienced you are. Quite a few people here have really high win rates in limited if you ever have any questions or want some advice. One of my favorite parts of sealed back home was swapping our pools around at the end of the night and discussing the different builds we'd end up with. To be fair though there's not much to do up there...

Composter

Golden Knight of the Realm
Gotta beat the odds in a bad way sometimes. Had a Misty and a shock opened at the midnight I went to. Shop back home had a ... 2nd most expensive U/X fetch and one of the slow lands at their midnight. 2/pre-release has been about the average from what I've heard so far (40-60+ players).

Glad you had a good time and decided to get back into it! That's what pre-releases are all about haha. Not a fan of the 2-X or nothing bullshit myself. Think I mentioned in my first post I gave five of my seven packs to the folks who stuck around and didn't get shit. Having fun is all that matters though. Wish I'd been able to attend another flight at a different shop. Got an hours notice that I started my new job today instead... fuckers.

Don't take this the wrong way since I don't know how experienced you are. Quite a few people here have really high win rates in limited if you ever have any questions or want some advice. One of my favorite parts of sealed back home was swapping our pools around at the end of the night and discussing the different builds we'd end up with. To be fair though there's not much to do up there...
Oh yeah, as I get back into it, I definitely will need some advice. I am going to a draft tournament on Wednesday, so any pointers would be awesome!

Dedface_sl

shitlord
Buddy of mine has only been playing paper Magic for about a year, and won the prerelease we went to. He got 18 packs and a playmat for winning. Cracked a Misty Rainforest from his winnings and almost wept. It was possibly one of the greatest nights of awesomeness I've had in a while. It was just great to see him keep winning with a deck that he built.

We had 28 players at the prerelease and there were 4 Expeditions that I know of that got cracked.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Got a feeling expeditions are going to be here to stay. The not-angry-finance-people-on-the-internet reaction to them is basically pure excitement. Our pre-release participation numbers across the city have been way up this weekend, and most of the stores are nearly sold out of their initial allocation of boxes/fatpacks from preorders.

Simas_sl

shitlord
Got a feeling expeditions are going to be here to stay. The not-angry-finance-people-on-the-internet reaction to them is basically pure excitement. Our pre-release participation numbers across the city have been way up this weekend, and most of the stores are nearly sold out of their initial allocation of boxes/fatpacks from preorders.
Full art super rare foil snapcasters when they do return to Innistrad.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
People love a lotto.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Probably not next block, because it's probably too late to develop something, but I'm imagining 1 block a year is going to be like this going forward.

Strossus

Silver Knight of the Realm
went 3/1/1 at my pre release, played U/G/B mostly eldrazi, had fun with it, was kinda of comboish, 1st round guy said he quit after that, he didn't want to play any more for the night, only loss was VS a turn 4 gideon, and I hadn't done a midnight pre-release in a long long time, so round 4 at about 4:40am i forgot to block when i should of 2 turns ina row, ended up gettign 3rd place, i noticed a ton of our regulars went to another store that was liek hour away because it was doing an iron man pre release, and i dunno how anyone can do that.

pulled a marsh flats, and not much else, but was quite fun, the 1/2 blue flyer with ingest is just brutal to people

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Oh yeah, as I get back into it, I definitely will need some advice. I am going to a draft tournament on Wednesday, so any pointers would be awesome!
Origins I assume which I haven't played so I'm probably not the best person to talk to there. LSV has a few Origins drafts up on Channel Fireball though. I'd give them a watch. He's very good at talking about "why" he picks the card he does based on how his draft is going and the signals he is getting. Just basic draft advice and my take on how to evaluate picks I can do though. Don't have time at the moment but I'll toss a post up tomorrow after work.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Went 0-2 drop at the prerelease, in the whole of my pool I only had 4 creatures that costs under 4cc lost to aggro-ish decks both rounds

Xalara

Golden Squire
Yeah, the sealed format seems surprisingly aggressive. Unfortunately it looks like this might be a KTK style sealed format where if you don't get the synergies in your sealed pool you're basically fucked. Yes, this is a gross simplification, but it is one thing that annoys me about sealed even if I love playing the format.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
I played aggro 2/3 rounds and kinda midrange value cards once. Honestly unless you just happen to open the nuts synergistic pool aggro seemed kind of weak. Never really saw anyone go wide, just play 2-4 meh almost bears and maybe 2 creatures I'd 1st-5th pick in a draft. Nothing crazy explosive where you HAD to get bodies on the table by turn four. A couple 2-4 cost creatures that produce scions go a long way to getting a 5-7 drop out in plenty of time to matter. I saw a LOT of plays running shitty conditional mid range/curve toppers when ANY common big body eldrazi would have been better. I think more than anything else it's just a really hard set to take the average card pool and find a good, effective direction to go with it. Which is why you saw a bunch of aggro a the pre-release. "The fuck do I build with this? Well X color has a few low drop creatures I'll go aggro." and they end up playing shitty bears and few if any value creatures/spells and playing shit like the 7 cost vampire as a "finisher" when it's just straight up worse than the 7/8 in their side board. There's a lot of cute shit, but not a lot of effective shit.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I played aggro 2/3 rounds and kinda midrange value cards once. Honestly unless you just happen to open the nuts synergistic pool aggro seemed kind of weak. Never really saw anyone go wide, just play 2-4 meh almost bears and maybe 2 creatures I'd 1st-5th pick in a draft. Nothing crazy explosive where you HAD to get bodies on the table by turn four. A couple 2-4 cost creatures that produce scions go a long way to getting a 5-7 drop out in plenty of time to matter. I saw a LOT of plays running shitty conditional mid range/curve toppers when ANY common big body eldrazi would have been better. I think more than anything else it's just a really hard set to take the average card pool and find a good, effective direction to go with it. Which is why you saw a bunch of aggro a the pre-release. "The fuck do I build with this? Well X color has a few low drop creatures I'll go aggro." and they end up playing shitty bears and few if any value creatures/spells and playing shit like the 7 cost vampire as a "finisher" when it's just straight up worse than the 7/8 in their side board. There's a lot of cute shit, but not a lot of effective shit.
I had the terrible luck of playing someone who dropped the 2/1 red guy with trample and landfall +1/+1 on turn 2 into that +2/+2 and put a land from your hand into play turn 3 and 4 for 12 damage.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
I had the terrible luck of playing someone who dropped the 2/1 red guy with trample and landfall +1/+1 on turn 2 into that +2/+2 and put a land from your hand into play turn 3 and 4 for 12 damage.
Ouch. Worst I had was the 2/2 /w landfall into land give it two counters swing 5, swing 5, then I removed it on T5. Lucked into a win by the skin of my teeth that match. Gogo swing 7 flying, time walk, repeat when he had lethal on the board. >.> Sometimes you actually hit the only three cards that will matter in the exact order you need them!

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Mythics and the price of the game in general has managed to keep me clean for years now. My schtick was always going to a few FNMs, scoping out the field, and building janky rogue stuff on the cheap with dollar rares and the like based on whatever was popular at the time. With mythics the way they are though my bread and butter dollar rares are typically now all 5-10$ minimum due to mythic rarity and I just don't care enough to drop any real-ish cash on the game.

I do so miss the look on the faces of the resident temporarily embarrassed pro players though when their full foiled faerie decks lost to my shitty mono green list packing maindeck squall lines and cloudthreshers.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I try and draft once a week if I can but yeah, the cost will forever keep me from really coming back to the game. I played in a couple Game Days because the promos were good and even in the store's mostly casual environment in an event that is itself pretty casual I was still getting pissed off when I lost because I knew the main way to improve my chances was to spend more money. Sitting down with a mana base that isn't optimal and losing a squeaker because a couple of your lands say "gain a life" instead of "Scry 1" gets old really fucking fast.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
I stick to cheaper legacy/modern decks aka no duels or Goyfs. The long term cost is much more appealing compared to standard. It's a shame the duels prices have skyrocketed so much it would be nice to go into bigger decks but thats what you get for being budgeted in magic.