MTG thread

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
I sold a box to Mtgfanatic once:
rrr_img_122517.png

Nearly 5 months to get a check from them, haven't been back since. They said at the time they had just been robbed, so their cash reserves were low while they were recovering, but when I checked into it on the forums, people who sold after I did were being paid earlier.

Its just one incident, but it was enough for me to give up on them.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Yea.. if everything you said is true, then you are one of the lucky ones Morrow. They had upwards of 6 month delays on payments for a couple years there, depending on how large your sale was.
There are umpteen horror stories on mtgsalvation forums about how long they were taking to pay, and rejecting way more cards then most vendors. I've had them return cards that were very much NM by anyone's standards, and yet keep ones I was less sure of. There was very little rhyme or reason to it. That, coupled with some other things, gave many people a shady vibe from them.

I used them alot about 4-5 years ago, when their delay was a month at most, but they steadily got worse and worse until I just stopped using them for the most part. They also started reducing their buy prices as the delays got longer, because they couldn't keep up. Many people theorized that they were operating a complicated pyramid structure with their cards, buying cards without having the cash to pay, and then as sales came through they paid out a portion of backlogged sales. Along with the seemingly random way they rejected some cards, gave the impression they weren't running things in the adminstrative end very well.

Now, they always eventually paid me, though sometimes I'd have to send an email asking for the status to speed it up, but Cardkingdom, on average, paid within 10% of them and would send payment within a day or so of receiving the order. So, I mostly switched to them whenever I needed to unload stuff quickly.

I even posted on their forums for awhile, as they gave you small amounts of store credit for doing so, but it wasn't a very active forum.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
As someone who relatively recently cashed out entirely, do NOT bother trying to do it privately/through Ebay. It's a pain in the dick and not worth your time. Find a local shop that will buy it, or just ship it all to troll n toad or starcity or something and be done with it, collect your free money then never worry about it again.

The absolute golden scenario is to go to a comic/nerd/anime convention or something near you where one of the big vendors has a booth and sell it all to them direct there.
Didn't you cash out to me like three years ago?
tongue.png
That collection bootstrapped me into the hobby again. Shit I think I still have bits and pieces of it.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Didn't you cash out to me like three years ago?
tongue.png
That collection bootstrapped me into the hobby again. Shit I think I still have bits and pieces of it.
Heh yea, but I had "slightly" more to get rid of than the average person.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Yea.. if everything you said is true, then you are one of the lucky ones Morrow. They had upwards of 6 month delays on payments for a couple years there, depending on how large your sale was.
There are umpteen horror stories on mtgsalvation forums about how long they were taking to pay, and rejecting way more cards then most vendors. I've had them return cards that were very much NM by anyone's standards, and yet keep ones I was less sure of. There was very little rhyme or reason to it. That, coupled with some other things, gave many people a shady vibe from them.

I used them alot about 4-5 years ago, when their delay was a month at most, but they steadily got worse and worse until I just stopped using them for the most part. They also started reducing their buy prices as the delays got longer, because they couldn't keep up. Many people theorized that they were operating a complicated pyramid structure with their cards, buying cards without having the cash to pay, and then as sales came through they paid out a portion of backlogged sales. Along with the seemingly random way they rejected some cards, gave the impression they weren't running things in the adminstrative end very well.

Now, they always eventually paid me, though sometimes I'd have to send an email asking for the status to speed it up, but Cardkingdom, on average, paid within 10% of them and would send payment within a day or so of receiving the order. So, I mostly switched to them whenever I needed to unload stuff quickly.

I even posted on their forums for awhile, as they gave you small amounts of store credit for doing so, but it wasn't a very active forum.
Wow!! This is all very crazy to hear. I guess I was one of the lucky ones! It has been a while since I used them.
Crazy. I never understood how they paid so high, but some kind of scheme makes sense. Mind blown.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Amusing. Commentators yesterday remark on Jeff Boohoogland always having turn 1 Birds. "He's a very powerful wizard."

Judges give him a game loss in the top 8 today, for marked sleeves.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Wow!! This is all very crazy to hear. I guess I was one of the lucky ones! It has been a while since I used them.
Crazy. I never understood how they paid so high, but some kind of scheme makes sense. Mind blown.
It does appear they might have raised their prices back up again though, I checked a few cards and they were paying ALMOST as much as you could buy them for on TCG. There were even a few cards I saw that they paid slightly higher, but couldn't buy enough copies on TCG to make it worthwhile (talking about making .25 cents on a card, and only finding 3 copies at a low enough price).
So, I might test them out again soon with an order, but still going to send some stuff to cardkingdom so I get part of the cash right away.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I finished 10-5 at GP Oakland. No cash, but I did get another much needed Pro point.

I was definitely short on hate for matchups that went wide as all of my losses were to decks that flooded the board.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
I sold a box to Mtgfanatic once:
rrr_img_122517.png

Nearly 5 months to get a check from them, haven't been back since. They said at the time they had just been robbed, so their cash reserves were low while they were recovering, but when I checked into it on the forums, people who sold after I did were being paid earlier.

Its just one incident, but it was enough for me to give up on them.
Their FAQ still says 5 months to receive payment in cash. Ugh. Their buylist prices are pretty good tho... hrmm.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Modern is better without Splinter Twin. It was too easy to just win from any board state with that card. The decks that lose it are still good at counter control without it.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
I wish they would have nailed something in the goryo's vengeance deck instead of twin. That deck may not be the most consistent but its bad enough that I would rather face twins combo then that thing. Bloom getting nailed was a great thing for sure.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Prereleases have been a ton of fun so far. This set is so much better than BFZ in basically every way a Magic set can be.

RE: Goryo deck, hopefully the rise of Eldrazi Processor decks with 6-8 Maindeck 1-drop graveyard-hate cards will hem that in. That is, if the processor deck is even valid compared to the straight aggro/midrange available with Oath Eldrazi.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Their FAQ still says 5 months to receive payment in cash. Ugh. Their buylist prices are pretty good tho... hrmm.
I was thinking of sending in some stuff, as their buylist prices are often the same/higher then ebay prices (i.e. I'd get more selling to him overall) or they are buying common/uncommons that I couldn't sell elsewhere.

Then, I just happened to check their forums and forums and found this:I Have Been Waiting for Payment On Cards for Over 8 Months

Now, I'm thinking I'll just send about $50 in common/uncommons that other vendors aren't buying and see what happens. I don't mind waiting, but it's starting to sound like he basically was just buying stuff on IOU and paying backlogged sales, but his inbound sales have trickled down to nothing. So, I may never get paid, especially on a larger sale. Their card sale prices are so much higher across the board, that taking store credit is basically worse then selling and buying to other vendors too.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Should be interesting to see what shenanigans get played at the SCG Open today. Followed by the attendant knee-jerk price fluctuations
smile.png

Xalara

Golden Squire
Looking through the top lists from this weekend, the one that stands out the most to me is the mono-black Eldrazi deck. The amount of hand disruption and removal on a stick in the deck gives it game against Rally, UR Tempo, and ramp decks. The only thing I would try to make room for is Flaying Tendrils in the sideboard.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
So in regards to the judge suspensions, the southeast RC is on JudgeCast (two hosts of which were among the judges who were suspended and subsequently reinstated) that goes into extreme detail over everything that happened. It's a very honest and frank discussion of exactly how WotC interacted with the group of judges. I'm sure it'll be an interesting listen for some folks out there.

JudgeCast #138B The Great Judge Suspension [Explicit Language] | JudgeCast