MTG thread

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Counterintuition Level 9000. This doesn't get back cards you cast via madness?

shadowofthegrave.jpg

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It definitely doesn't get back cards you cast for madness. You discard to exile with madness, then the card leaves exile and moves to the stack. Then it moves to the battlefield or to the graveyard, depending on spell type. Multiple zone changes make it a new object with a last known information that isn't "discarded."

For the same reason (zone changes) this probably also nixes madness cards you don't cast, since their last known information is Exile to Graveyard, not discard.

Last edited:

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
It feels like there is a broken combo with New Perspectives and that card waiting to happen. The hard part getting New Perspectives into play, but if you can do that, then you can 'go off' and cycle through your deck for free (assuming you are at 7 cards already), play that to return everything and then ... ?? idk, but obviously having half your deck in hand is powerful.
Additionally, or alternatively, play it with something like Seismic Assault. Discard 5 land cards to shoot them for 10, play that to return them all and hit for another 10.
In legacy, where you can possibly get enough cycling lands into your deck, that might just be the combo itself. Need to have enough cycling cards that you don't fizzle in cycling them and then not draw enough cyclers to keep it going before finishing them off with New Perspectives.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
On another note, I'm really liking this set overall. Maybe it's just that itch for magic returning since I haven't really played for over a year, but the mechanics and flavor of this set all look very good to me.
I can tell where the story is heading (looks like Bolas mind wiped the entire plane and the Gods, turning it into his own personal army factory) but I'm still enjoying reading how it unfolds between the flavor text and stories on the site. Have this feeling the plane is also time locked in some way, since they all know exactly when Bolas returns. I wouldn't be surprised if he's got this plane locked away, with time moving 10x faster, churning out his own armies every so often for him. i.e. every 10 years on the plane is like 1 year outside. By the end, the gatewatch is gonna leave and find out only a few hours passed in the days/weeks they were there, with Ajani not even ready to help yet.

The cards look very cool, lots of value cards with the embalm mechanic across all 5 colors. The desert land type is kind of neat. Each major archetype has some fun tools (that 4/3 for 1R minotaur is sick for heckbent decks, Ux control has some great tools for once, zombies look fun, etc..). I suppose every big set kind of impacts Standard a lot, but this one really feels like it will shake things up. People will modify their existing decks first, but there are definitely some tools here for deckbuilders to build around.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm rather surprised there isn't a critter with some sort of "If you embalmed this card and its zombie token is no longer in play, return this card from exile to your graveyard" along with tiny stats and huge costs.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Release notes say Shadow of the Grave will work on Madness cards you *didn't* cast after discarding, but provides no rational as to why.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
If you skip the madness trigger they don't exile at all, they just go straight to bin so I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work?

Chris

Potato del Grande
On another note, I'm really liking this set overall. Maybe it's just that itch for magic returning since I haven't really played for over a year, but the mechanics and flavor of this set all look very good to me.
I can tell where the story is heading (looks like Bolas mind wiped the entire plane and the Gods, turning it into his own personal army factory) but I'm still enjoying reading how it unfolds between the flavor text and stories on the site. Have this feeling the plane is also time locked in some way, since they all know exactly when Bolas returns. I wouldn't be surprised if he's got this plane locked away, with time moving 10x faster, churning out his own armies every so often for him. i.e. every 10 years on the plane is like 1 year outside. By the end, the gatewatch is gonna leave and find out only a few hours passed in the days/weeks they were there, with Ajani not even ready to help yet.

The cards look very cool, lots of value cards with the embalm mechanic across all 5 colors. The desert land type is kind of neat. Each major archetype has some fun tools (that 4/3 for 1R minotaur is sick for heckbent decks, Ux control has some great tools for once, zombies look fun, etc..). I suppose every big set kind of impacts Standard a lot, but this one really feels like it will shake things up. People will modify their existing decks first, but there are definitely some tools here for deckbuilders to build around.

I feel the same, I may get back into it. Bolas has created an invasion army and with the Planar Gate he can now use it. He has also been messing with Eldrazi and Phyrexia who are both known for plane invasions.

Where is he going to invade? Ajani is going to meet them on Dominara so...

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Announcement stuff today. Ixalan is the September 29th set. RPTQs now have entry fees, adding a further irritant to the not-PTQ system. Going back to the old top 8 system because *gasp* people were still IDing! As anyone who actually played in tournaments knew they would.

Ratina

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Shopping this around to some locals and the FB sealed group but I figured i'd get forum bro's a shot if anyone was interested.

Not 100% sure if I want to sell these or just hold an epic draft so i wanted to see if there was any interest here.

Info on the old packs: Packs are all sealed, probably not gradable. The old packs were acquired by the person I got the collection from and I know she did not search them, I can’t say for sure if they were searched or mapped before she got them. As far as I know each pack was randomly taken from the booster boxes she purchased. I have no idea what is in them other than when we tried to search all we could figure was there is an Island Fish Jasconius in the AN pack and it wasn’t worth beating up the packs anymore to search further.

Newer packs (Worldwake +) are from my personal un-mapped boxes, but I have no way to prove that.

PM me if you would like to make a bid on the lot.

Revised Edition, Arabian Nights, Antiquities, Legends, The Dark, Fallen Empires, Ice Age, Homelands, Alliances, Mirage, Weatherlight, Visions, Tempest, Stronghold, Exodus, Urza’s Saga, Urza’s Legacy, Urza’s Destiny, Mercadian Masques, Nemisis, Prophecy, Legions, Mirrodin, Darksteel, Fifth Dawn, Coldsnap, Time Spiral, Planar Chaos, Future Sight, Worldwake, Shadowmoor, Scars of Mirrodin, Mirrodin Besieged, New Phyrexia, Innistrad, Dark Ascension, Avacyn Restored, Chronicles, Fifth Edition, Sixth Edition, M11, M12, M13, Portal, Portal Second Age, Modern Masters, Modern Masters 2015, Eternal Masters.

image1.JPG
image2.JPG
image3.JPG
image4.JPG
image5.JPG

Sterling

El Presidente
Old sets draft poorly, but it's kind of fun in a nostalgia sort of way. Playing 3 color decks with a bunch of gray ogres and common x spells is good times.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ratina

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Old sets draft poorly, but it's kind of fun in a nostalgia sort of way. Playing 3 color decks with a bunch of gray ogres and common x spells is good times.

I built a 93-94 cube, same deal. Its clunky but everyone starts talking about memberberries when its played.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
MaRo confirmed no reserved list cards in $1-Angels-And-Dragons Masters, for the folks who think that every new product means the end of the Reserved List.

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I honestly don't understand this product at all if they ARENT printing reserved list shit..
'Casual Masters' I guess? Are there really that many expensive EDH/casual cards that they can't put into other master sets? If so, isnt this just going to tank the prices on all of the existing ones, which is going to further erode the secondary market? Anything printed after RTR has shit for value these days, except while in Standard ofc. The cards before then only have value because of scarcity, and now we are gonna slowly reprint everything that is reprintable? I'm glad I got out of mtgfinance stuff when i did.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Heading to a friends house to sort through a closet full of Magic cards so he can sell it all off.

Only thing notable he has mentioned is a handful of duals. I will post any rarities for you guys.