MTG thread

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Print a Gold-bordered version of the MTGO Vintage/Holiday Cube and it'd sell.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Cubing is a lot of fun, but locking away a bunch of expensive stuff I need for other decks isn't something I'm willing to do.

I just printed a paper proxy one instead. Worked fine, and no one had to worry about spills. Meanwhile, I know a guy who has a genuine old school cube that is nearly full beta, and he lets us play with it all the time with beer on the table. Blows my mind.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yahhhh hook a brother up. Also probably want to put them in a spoiler tag so bots don't scrape them instantly.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I think I got one of the first two codes, but there was no confirmation beyond "thanks for registering!" so I dunno. No "failed code" pop up though. So if I get in, thanks :D

Ratina

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I PMed 2 more codes out. I should have 2 more but they might have been left at the venue.

It kinda sucked honestly, they were trying to cater to new people so after you built your deck you wandered around to find another player who was ready, play 1 game (not even 2 out of 3), free muligan, report winner, repeat 2 more times. Even the throwback drafts were like this. I get that they were trying to bring in new players but I wanted a more competitive environment.

The second IM pool we got was not clipped (they were clipping the corners of the packs so they were not sealed anymore) by the staff, so several people walked out with sealed packs that went up on ebay. According to a judge WOTC is pissed about it. I 'might' have walked out with 1 sealed pack accidentally.

1 friend cracked 2x Horizon Canopy and a foil Canopy, another cracked a foil Flusterstorm.

I sold some stuff, got like 30 for the Sword of the Ancients, also sold my Workshop for 650.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Thanks for the codes homie, we'll see how soon this opens up.

People selling packs is pretty scumbag for sure, but not really that surprising unfortunately given how many people calculate the time they spend playing MTG solely on EV.

Ratina

Thanks for the codes homie, we'll see how soon this opens up.

People selling packs is pretty scumbag for sure, but not really that surprising unfortunately given how many people calculate the time they spend playing MTG solely on EV.

Yeah i hate the people who treat it like a job, unfortunately that's a lot of Legacy players and all I really play is Legacy. Upside of having a lot of Part Time Legacy workers is we get a half decent local Legacy scene. Tues night, Fri night at 2 places, a 1k every 2-3 months. So I kinda let them be shitty so I can play more. Does that make me a bad person?

Guy at Arena booth said every code would get in, codes were given out w/ each entry to an IM event. There was a shit ton just left on the tables after rounds, I should have grabbed more.

Ratina

Man this got me going! Month or two ago I wanted to open some product so I asked around if anyone wanted to do a funzies draft. Legacy guys 'Why would I play that if theirs nothing for me to win?'. So i said they could keep their pools if they wanted to pay for the packs. 'Why would I pay retail on those packs? and why is there no prize support?' fucking sigh

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yeah i hate the people who treat it like a job, unfortunately that's a lot of Legacy players and all I really play is Legacy. Upside of having a lot of Part Time Legacy workers is we get a half decent local Legacy scene. Tues night, Fri night at 2 places, a 1k every 2-3 months. So I kinda let them be shitty so I can play more. Does that make me a bad person?

Guy at Arena booth said every code would get in, codes were given out w/ each entry to an IM event. There was a shit ton just left on the tables after rounds, I should have grabbed more.

Yeesh, Legacy is pretty dead in Chicago these days. There is a weekly that gets like 8-10 people on Sundays, then like a monthly thing out in the suburbs that is bigger, but even it is shrinking pretty badly these days. I mean, I have no room to talk, I sold out of that shit years ago and only play Leylines when I do join one, so I'm mostly party of the problem.

Ban duals, make Legacy great again. Or just reprint them.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Man this got me going! Month or two ago I wanted to open some product so I asked around if anyone wanted to do a funzies draft. Legacy guys 'Why would I play that if theirs nothing for me to win?'. So i said they could keep their pools if they wanted to pay for the packs. 'Why would I pay retail on those packs? and why is there no prize support?' fucking sigh

Lol, sounds like the typical MTG mook yea. "I only go to XYZ store because their prize support is 5% better" is such a fucking backwards ass idea. Like, you could work your normal job an extra hour per week and make x10 more than any prize EV you're getting playing locals, why turn your fucking hobby in to another grind?

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Looked over the iconic master gallery, some of it seems weird to me. They have all the karoo lands and the 5 dragons in the set but two commands?

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Ratina Ratina I know I'm late, but if you or anyone else has any more codes. I'd really appreciate one. Watched some of the arena stream and it looks like wotc FINALLY is getting it right. A (mostly) free to play version of MTG with a good interface ala Hearthstone is all anyone ever wanted.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

SirJames

Golden Squire
Pretty excited for Arena to be honest. Hearthstone with MTG cards is fine by me.

I ended up selling my MTGO collection to Cardhoarder as well. Figured I would get out early before the rest of the casual players realize Arena will be all they need. I was "4th in line" friday morning to trade my collection to them, so I get the feeling I'm not the only one. Only a $500 collection, but still I'm happy.

I tried getting into Modern multiple times, it was just never very fun.I built Eldrazi and Taxes, mono W taxes and Deaths Shadow. The games are for the most part over before they start, based on match ups. Dredge vs Taxes? Auto loss G1. DS vs gifts storm, I'm like 2-20 on that matchup. I can have the nuts and they just combo off T3, yaaay.

A lot of the games you just play past each other rarely interact. Scapeshift is stupid to play against, they just solitare while you helplessly watch. Storm is similar, you can pack 4-8 hoser cards and they just fight right through it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Even if we throw MTGO under the bus completely, what I don't understand about Arena is how they differentiate a F2P game enough from their very not free to play paper card game, so that one doesn't hurt the other.

It's possible that Arena could just decimate paper Standard, and that would be terrible for WOTC, because it would destroy the B&Ms that promote their game.

And yes, I've been liquidating tix pretty steadily over the past 3 months knowing something like this was coming.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I've always felt like there's some potential with paper packs having a code to use the same cards online.

They'll need to work on making paper FNM and paper tornaments the main event and online the way you practice in some way to protect paper.

More prize support and mtg style gold cards and avatars from paper events only perhaps?