MTG thread

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Removing Uniqueness definitely makes sense from a Company Man Perspective. The majority of the different Jaces' launch prices suffered from there being a concurrently legal Jace driving down people's desire to run the new one. Most of the Jaces started low, then cycled back up in price once they were the Highlander Jace of the standard format. Lil' Gids from amonkhet was also dismissed out of hand pretty much immediatly because Ally of Zendikar is so good, and under the previous rules they don't play nice. Gotta sell dem boostah packs!

Definitely a big improvement in the "feel" of cards like Deploy the Gatewatch and Djeru (for EDH), since they were kind of strangled by how badly planeswalker cards stacked in deck construction.

That and it's mildly silly that we can have like 3 different Mirris/Crovaxes/Avacyns in play but only one Garruk. So they picked a side to lean on, instead of having it both ways.

A few EDH cards are price-spiking right now, but the only card that really substantively benefits is Sisay, as this makes her toolbox even sillier, adding more wraths and board presence to the available targets. Rekki gets to draw a card when he plays Garruk now (woo).

As for actual constructed play, this may fiddle with Liliana Numbers in Modern. A decent # of the midrange BGx lists are on a 3/1 split of the lilis, and this may cause them to pick up another lili in one of the two categories.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Lol @ fucking launch errata for Hostage Taker. How did that card make it to printing like that, anyone that has played MTG for more than like 6 months would have been able to catch the infinite ETB loop immediately.
Where did you see that mentioned? I figured they were gonna do something, whether that be errata or a change in the core rules, but I didn't see the official notice about it. I saw the mechanics article and planeswalker update.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
Where did you see that mentioned? I figured they were gonna do something, whether that be errata or a change in the core rules, but I didn't see the official notice about it. I saw the mechanics article and planeswalker update.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I mean, they are buying Mold Demons and shit at this point, so I think we've already passed peak ridiculousness.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I'm pretty happy that I (mostly) have all of the old school format gate keepers handled. I don't have sets of everything, but I have most of what I'd want.

Still need to pick up Thunder Spirits and maybe more Eurekas or Nether Voids. Otherwise I'm set.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Guess I shoulda bought that Raging River for Mono-Red Grenzo EDH a bit sooner!

Ratina

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Getting ready to go to Hascon, I figure that's prob the best prices i'm gona get for old stuff. So i am making a list of stuff to pull and I don't see any of the buyout craze, i'm filtered to see TCG prices $25+ and there aint shit here but the staples.

One article uses Sword of the Ages as an example, throwing around a $190 number, I know its not on my list of 25+ so I look the card up directly. Market: 17.07, Price Trend: flat, Buylist Market: 5.28, listed median 169.5, and the Add it to Cart button has one for 157.49. WTF.

Is there any list of buyouts or better ways to filter a search to find them?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Getting ready to go to Hascon, I figure that's prob the best prices i'm gona get for old stuff. So i am making a list of stuff to pull and I don't see any of the buyout craze, i'm filtered to see TCG prices $25+ and there aint shit here but the staples.

One article uses Sword of the Ages as an example, throwing around a $190 number, I know its not on my list of 25+ so I look the card up directly. Market: 17.07, Price Trend: flat, Buylist Market: 5.28, listed median 169.5, and the Add it to Cart button has one for 157.49. WTF.

Is there any list of buyouts or better ways to filter a search to find them?

The problem you're running in to is that these buyout prices aren't "real". Some jackass goes and buys all 300 copies of Mold Demon that are listed on TCGplayer, then relists a couple copies for 50$. The price has then "changed" to 50$, but no one is ever buying it at that, so you land in the situation you see with Sword of Ages; card scarcity and a buyout has jacked the price through the roof, but the real price is nowhere near what the buyout/speculator/whoever is asking for it because the card is awful and no one cares.

If your collection is old I'd grab every staple you want to get rid of and every rare from every old/reserve list set and start with that. Staples you can move anywhere, but trying to move shit like Thunder Spirits or whatever is the kind of thing you want to do at a big con like that where the real hardcore people and collectors will be.

Otherwise the best "real" price you're going to find is whatever is on eBay, since that gets manipulated far less than TCGplayer does.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ratina

Thanks for the response. I am in the process of liquidating the chaff from my collection. Plan is to reduce to maintain a Legacy pool, 93/94 pool, a cube, and a few EDH decks. Normally i don't want to sell stuff in a hurry but someone got me tix to the con so i want some spending cash. Gona bring a small pile of stuff I wont miss and see whats what. If i need it im bringing my Workshop and Candelabra for 'oh shit' money but id rather not sell those.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Anybody know if you need to have a general admission con ticket to play in the MTG side events at Hascon? Or are they in separate halls?

Ratina

Anybody know if you need to have a general admission con ticket to play in the MTG side events at Hascon? Or are they in separate halls?

I 'think' you need both, we couldn't get slots in the IM or history drafts w/o already having a general admission.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I meant more the regular draft pods. There's a slim chance I could stop by the event hall but no chance I'd actually buy a full day ticket to do 1-2 drafts.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
i think there is a good chance the new online MTG Arena ends up failing while also weakening the MTGO playerbase

WOTC at its best

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I doubt they ever actually implement the back catalog of cards on Arena, so MTGO should be okay as long as Modern, Old Cubes, Throwback Drafts, and Commander remain popular.

This feels like the final nail in "Frontier"'s coffin/cradle, though. If Wizards does make a new "modern 2.0," it'll likely be 2-5 years from now, and align with the cards they actually have implemented in their audience-facing product (Arena). Not that the current shape of Frontier was ever going to be adopted anyhow, what with it containing Fetch Lands and WOTC outright stating that they believe formats with fetches in them are a mistake moving forward.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yep, the cutoff for the eventual modern 2.0 or whatever they will call it will be from Origins forward. Both for esports purposes (fetches being cancer for camera matches) and for counterfeit purposes as that's where their fancy new holo seal starts that they claim can't be replicated.

I believe wotc is far, far more worried about counterfeit cards than most people realize. We really aren't for off at this exact moment from the best fake cards being indistinguishable to layman, and it's only going to get worse and worse, especially given their problems with whatever print contractors they've gone to recently (cheap shitty card stock, entire Ixilan sheet leaked, etc).

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Pretty sure 80% of the fetch lands/ABUR Duals used in casual play in my city are fakes. They look fine double-sleeved, and nobody busts out a jeweler's loupe at the table, so why pay $30 for a card when you can pay $0.50? I still use real ones, but I'm probably dumb for doing so.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yep, most of the EDH crowd here plays with chinese duals and no one cares. You can get a very passable set of all of them for peanuts these days, and I feel like it won't be too much longer where we're passed a tipping point where the fakes will be so good they will start passing in tournament play.