MTG thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
So fucking dumb

#1: looks like recasting characters with minorities has seeped into Magic now. So when do we get alternate art of a Caucasian Teferi? Oh wait, that’ll never happen and the fans wouldn’t want it anyways.

#2 Including myself, I think I’ve known four people who were members of an ethnic minority that played this game

#3 Trying to cater to black women? Yeah in the 26 years I’ve played this game, I’ve met two women who played it. Neither were black

God I can’t wait til they stop calling black and white “black and white”

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
I said it before, and I'll say it 'til I'm blue in the fucking face: Ugin needs to be dropped from Standard formats.

The card may as well read "You didn't beat me by turn 8: I win, bitch."

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
They arent trying to cater to black women. Hell Ive never seen a black woman play this in my life. They are trying to fleece gullible people into giving them money for their very hollow virtue signaling.

How many MTG artists have their been? Over 800? How many were black?

Yeah, hollow virtue signaling.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So fucking dumb

#1: looks like recasting characters with minorities has seeped into Magic now. So when do we get alternate art of a Caucasian Teferi? Oh wait, that’ll never happen and the fans wouldn’t want it anyways.

#2 Including myself, I think I’ve known four people who were members of an ethnic minority that played this game

#3 Trying to cater to black women? Yeah in the 26 years I’ve played this game, I’ve met two women who played it. Neither were black

God I can’t wait til they stop calling black and white “black and white”
Magic is lost cause sjw have completely taken over. The most stupid thing they did was turnover IP review to twitter with sensitivity readers. I has become a case study in get woke go broke as they destroy current day magic all the money flees backward into pre 2000 sets.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Magic is lost cause sjw have completely taken over. The most stupid thing they did was turnover IP review to twitter with sensitivity readers. I has become a case study in get woke go broke as they destroy current day magic all the money flees backward into pre 2000 sets.

I mean, while they have gone full SJW mode, do you honestly think that accounts for more than 1% of the dive into ABU sets and original foils? Because I think 1% is being generous.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>

They're virtue signalling. It's not trying to cater to those categories, it's trying to cater to the predominantly white male SJW crowd by saying "see: we're the ones you must trust!"

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
4 out of 5 of the top MTG streamers in prime viewing time yesterday were women.

The game is a lot more accessible to a lot larger of an audience when you don't have to sit in card shops that smell like butthole and be around toxic dweebs, incels and autists in order to play it.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
4 out of 5 of the top MTG streamers in prime viewing time yesterday were women.

The game is a lot more accessible to a lot larger of an audience when you don't have to sit in card shops that smell like butthole and be around toxic dweebs, incels and autists in order to play it.
A bigger variety of magic players is certainly good. Most women MTG streamers are casual shitters. In fairness a lot of dude streamers are also casual shitters, but almost all high level mtg streaming is guys.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
A bigger variety of magic players is certainly good. Most women MTG streamers are casual shitters. In fairness a lot of dude streamers are also casual shitters, but almost all high level mtg streaming is guys.
ashlizzlle is frequently #1 on the mythic ladder, making her just as 'high level' as crokeyz, if not moreso, though honestly both pretty much suck at magic and only have their ladder ranks due to time investment. Many of the others can certainly hold their own in the various Twitch-based tournaments, so I wouldn't call all of them shitters.

When was the last time Caleb actually won something, or left his house? I feel like he's been doing the whole pandemic thing since about 2017.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
MTGs original art/themes will always feel more authentic, but I am grateful to be able to click on a button and play a few games of Magic despite the current gayness.

I was a minority growing up as a Magic player - You see, I wasn’t a complete waste of space (just mostly a waste) and I hated card shop environments with a passion. I was still a nerd and played EQ, but in person magic players were just fucking incompatible

screechy skinny fast talking kids constantly looking through my binders and making dumbass jokes about Atogs, ugh

Give me the gay elf and arena I’ll take it

black was always a more fun color than white anyway

Sterling

El Presidente
ashlizzlle is frequently #1 on the mythic ladder, making her just as 'high level' as crokeyz, if not moreso, though honestly both pretty much suck at magic and only have their ladder ranks due to time investment. Many of the others can certainly hold their own in the various Twitch-based tournaments, so I wouldn't call all of them shitters.

When was the last time Caleb actually won something, or left his house? I feel like he's been doing the whole pandemic thing since about 2017.
Fair enough, I haven't watched Ashlizzlle in months so maybe she's improved. Crokeyz is definitely a volume guy, but he actually is at least reasonably good. But there's plenty of top notch play on stream. You have Huey, Juza, LSV, Mengu, etc. too. Caleb definitely isn't at the level he used to be for sure though.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>

The game has remained alive for as long as it has due to the physical cards.

People that don't have collections (no, MTGA doesn't count) will jump ship much faster then those who do. Especially if the collection isn't physical.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Fair enough, I haven't watched Ashlizzlle in months so maybe she's improved. Crokeyz is definitely a volume guy, but he actually is at least reasonably good. But there's plenty of top notch play on stream. You have Huey, Juza, LSV, Mengu, etc. too. Caleb definitely isn't at the level he used to be for sure though.
Huey streams sponsored streams when Wizards is paying him to stream and that's about it. Not sure about Juza and Mengu. LSV is a personal gaming brand at this point, not specifically tied to Magic.

Ben Stark and Michael Jacobs are by far the 'best' players on Twitch on a technical level, but also rather grating to watch personality wise.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The game has remained alive for as long as it has due to the physical cards.

People that don't have collections (no, MTGA doesn't count) will jump ship much faster then those who do. Especially if the collection isn't physical.
Maybe? Good luck finding a place to play paper magic after COVID. B&M stores were suffering long before this, due to basic economics and WOTC kinda fucking them over the past few years.

WOTC rightfully realizes that Twitch is the main thing keeping their brand alive right now.

• 1Truth!

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Huey was my raid leader in WoW for the last six months, he is at the point where he doesn't even want to look at a magic card unless he's getting paid to.

Amusingly, most of our local brick and mortar stores have had some of their best years ever during the plague. Nerds dumped their stimmies into cardboard crack when they couldn't get graphics cards, and a third of magic's player base is underemployed stoners so that unemployment boosto made them "rich."

• 1Worf

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Maybe? Good luck finding a place to play paper magic after COVID. B&M stores were suffering long before this, due to basic economics and WOTC kinda fucking them over the past few years.

WOTC rightfully realizes that Twitch is the main thing keeping their brand alive right now.
WoTC has always been terrible at doing their thing, MTG has survived despite them, not thanks to them.

I'm confident the local legacy scene will relive after this covid shit. It has done for 10+ years without any support, it will do so again.

It is actually a club of friends doing the organisation, not tied to a store, and they make a very decent profit from it. One year they did 6 legacy events, each one pulling over 100 players, and they had a free entry event for the top 8 of every event at the end of the year, with very good prize support.

They rent a community center which is cheap as fuck and don't have fixed costs. They sell spots for vendors (usually 2-3 big ones present), have drinks (2-3$), pasta (4$), and some merchandise. Also they are sponsored by cardmarket. Lots of good stuff going for them.

B&M stores are fucked because they are an outdated concept. Wizards trying to push standard, which is the worst format, combined with the shitty B&M gamestore plan, sure isn't a winning recipe.

• 1Truth!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Wizards trying to push standard, which is the worst format, combined with the shitty B&M gamestore plan, sure isn't a winning recipe.
Dumb people have been saying this for over 20 years now.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Dumb people have been saying this for over 20 years now.

Have you kept up with the banned list for standard in recent years?

Remember when everyone enjoyed standard with Teferi present? Or with wilderness reclamation? Or with Oko?

Me neither.