MTG thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Yea I don't give a fuck about new foils anymore because of how bad the pringle shit is.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
With all the slivers dropping, you had to wonder if Sliver Legion was incoming... and yep. Good for the sliver fans I guess. That puts us at 25 slivers in TSR so far I think. Very tribal-friendly set overall, really.

Vesuva and Gemstone Caverns also dropped this morning.

As someone who (used to) enjoy foils, I'm really curious to see how these timeshifted ones turn out. I assume the normal foils will be shit as usual.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I assume 50% of them will be beautiful, 50% will be foggy messes, and 100% of them will pringle overnight.

• 1Truth!

OneofOne

If anyone cares, Amazon has been dropping batches of JumpStart over the last 2 days - at least 4 batches so far. $91 and shipping in April. Make sure to scroll down and look at "Other sellers on Amazon" as many people are retarded and missing them because of this.

Picked up a box, as we had a lot of fun fucking around with this. Plus, as long and they don't print it into the ground, it's got some value. Esp if I get another Allosaurus Shepard. One can dream.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Well, officially increasing the cost of standard by 20% by going to expansion-every-2-months wallet brutality. Non-Arena standard was already on the ropes, so this might be "Finish Him."

July 16-Forgotten Realms
September 17-Innistrad werewolves
November 19-Innistrad vampires

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
With that increased pace I'm totally sure nothing will slip through the cracks in R&D and warp multiple formats again.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

OneofOne

Mark Rosewater the maroon confirmed twice in the last few days that JumpStart is still being printed, though of course who knows how much. So just be aware before jumping on $200 boxes. Several sources are claiming, with no confirmation anywhere yet, that TSR was a one and done - no more printing.

Still trying to wrap my head around MH2 (coming June 11 iirc) Set and CB boxes. Looks like another set where it's singles buying only.

He's hit the nail on the head but I don't think enough people care (yet). Guess we'll see.

Last edited:

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Mark Rosewater the maroon confirmed twice in the last few days that JumpStart is still being printed, though of course who knows how much. So just be aware before jumping on $200 boxes. Several sources are claiming, with no confirmation anywhere yet, that TSR was a one and done - no more printing.

Still trying to wrap my head around MH2 (coming June 11 iirc) Set and CB boxes. Looks like another set where it's singles buying only.

He's hit the nail on the head but I don't think enough people care (yet). Guess we'll see.
And Amazon is basically rolling the dice as to whether you get an already opened and the resealed box. Unless they got rid of their commingling bullshit, even buying with Amazon as the seller doesn’t help.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Been trying to get a jumpstart box from Amazon for almost a week now, I’ve gotten close but seems you have to be there within a couple of minutes of getting restocked. Faggot scalpers ruin everything.

• 1Solidarity

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
With that increased pace I'm totally sure nothing will slip through the cracks in R&D and warp multiple formats again.
Isn't the current stance "we're not even trying anymore"? Print OP and untested shit, sell big, then ban it if players notice is an official policy afaik.

I might be salty, since I've finally fallen out of MTG during the last 6 months. Issues were mounting before that, but the rapid succession of bullshit that we had in 2020 has killed it for me.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah, between Ikoria with the companion mechanic and the fact that banned list for formats make every recent set feel more like urza block than a normal set I just kind of stopped playing. It's not even we tried this really weird card and it ended up busted. it's we have this obviously powerful card and we'll cut a mana from it so we'll have to ban it at some point.

• 1Truth!

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Isn't the current stance "we're not even trying anymore"? Print OP and untested shit, sell big, then ban it if players notice is an official policy afaik.

I might be salty, since I've finally fallen out of MTG during the last 6 months. Issues were mounting before that, but the rapid succession of bullshit that we had in 2020 has killed it for me.

Well the lack of IRL play is the biggest thing keeping me from getting more into it at the moment. The power creep is annoying, but it's more or less gotten me out of Modern which I was starting to get into after Legacy and Vintage. I still collect cards for eternal formats and my backlog of card signing projects will always be there. Plus I started dabbling into pimping cEDH as a vanity project. But the focus is shifting more and more to smaller formats that don't change as often.

It's probably a lot from force of habit, plus I justify it by the fact it is something tangible and collectible that I will be able to get some money out of if (BIG if) I ever sell. That's something MTG Arena or any other digital CCG will never really be able to do.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm really missing physical tournament play. I like EDH, but a year of nothing but EDH sucks. Also, this habit is considerably more expensive with no store credit/prize boxes.

Chris

Potato del Grande

It's gone from a mainsteam strategy of printing a high quality product at a reasonable price for kids which adults also enjoy, to a niche strategy of printing pay to win premium products to drain the wallets of manchildren and autistic trannies.

Short term it increases revenue but long term the cost causes attrition to the playerbase without a means of replacing them with new players. Warhammer did this this with massive price increases. Comic Books have done this with endless varient covers and #1 issues.

In short, the game started to die.

I wonder if MTG Arena is bringing in new players or if it's just charging the existing playerbase a second or third time for the same cards?

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

OneofOne

Certainly going for the nostalgia hit with these Mystical Archive cards.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
The lottery cards are dope, Witherbloom apprentice might get chain of smog banned in legacy

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Jesus Christ, I want this on my wall at home.

1616710498240.png

Edit: FUCKING HELL

1616710638426.png

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, you get a couple in each collector pack, so I assume those are gonna go quick

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This is somehow real official magic the gathering art

hyu3rz4w7ep61.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
What the fuck? How is that not a bad photoshop?

Their Harmonize is almost as bad.
1616780797924.png

Last edited:
  • 1Worf