MTG thread

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, this is a big let down coming off of MH2 for me. I was honestly looking forward to the Forgotten Realms set because I have fond memories, but I really dislike some of the choices here.

The card names, for one thing. They just suck.

vegetoeeVegetoee

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, this is a big let down coming off of MH2 for me. I was honestly looking forward to the Forgotten Realms set because I have fond memories, but I really dislike some of the choices here.

I think the mechanic is too pushed for a Core set. It also seems designed for EDH as it's purposefully slowed down on all cards so far. I like the flavor and the tropes, but that won't open my wallet.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
It's a set full of Emerald Charms with shitty names that are hard to remember. Everything is modal, which means everything is weak. Then you stack on an incredibly parasitic mechanic with dungeons, and you're all set for a Kamigawa level shit show.

The simple fact is that without story, DND isn't fun. They 're trying to evoke tabletop play, but they can only emulate the worst bits.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

vegetoeeVegetoee

Trakanon Raider
It's a set full of Emerald Charms with shitty names that are hard to remember. Everything is modal, which means everything is weak. Then you stack on an incredibly parasitic mechanic with dungeons, and you're all set for a Kamigawa level shit show.

The simple fact is that without story, DND isn't fun. They 're trying to evoke tabletop play, but they can only emulate the worst bits.
Agreed 100%.
FWIW I think Kamigawa may be better than this set.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Yep. I haven't played Magic for 6 years, but I've been checking in on the FR set because I'm a massive D&D fan (fuck WoTC though) and the naming conventions really do suck. They're almost campy or like something you'd see in a starter set for a new player campaign. I'm not sure how to describe it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Kamigawa was a pretty cool limited set and had some fun interactions, it was just had a relatively low power level and was coming off of a block with one of the highest power levels ever so it had a very minimal impact on Standard and constructed in general in comparison.

This set seems similar in that low powered modal spells could probably create a fairly interesting limited format, but the set mechanics are so bad that I'm not sure that will actually happen. The set will be pretty lackluster for constructed.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
1625073443717.png

this guy is ridiculous for any format. a 5/2 flier that can be played at your opponent End of turn, and you can get it back it , if you kill any of your opponent creatures.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yes, this set is campy as fuck. But a lot of the cards make me snicker a little bit, from old D&D tropes and gaming memories.

I think a lot of you would be much happier if the set was officially a Universes Beyond set, which it really should be.

ta.PNG

vegetoeeVegetoee

Trakanon Raider
Yes, this set is campy as fuck. But a lot of the cards make me snicker a little bit, from old D&D tropes and gaming memories.

I think a lot of you would be much happier if the set was officially a Universes Beyond set, which it really should be.
It should be a stand alone set like Conspiracy. That would help.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
In a way I'm glad it's coming out right after MH2. I spent a fortune on actual good cards from that one. If I can skip this set for any format that matters, all the better.

It's just really dumb and capturing all the worst aspects of tabletop culture.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I think the mechanic is too pushed for a Core set. It also seems designed for EDH as it's purposefully slowed down on all cards so far. I like the flavor and the tropes, but that won't open my wallet.

they're trying to power down standard because it's been trash since throne of eldraine and way too powerful, this is more normal

FIRE was a failure

vegetoeeVegetoee

Trakanon Raider
Powerful MTG decks have never bothered me. Even if I get smoked in say... PTQ's. It's just the nature of the game, and something I have never thought of as bad. I get some cards are busted and such, but I think the answer never should lie in dumbing down sets. It should lie in bans and or better answers as needed.

Still. I am glad they are trying this crossover.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea I wasn't joking about the worst set since Coldsnap

This is entirely fandom bait and 0 creative effort behind any of it. Also the cards all appear to suck so far.

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's a nostalgia for D&D set when I wanted a Forgotten Realms set with the things like the Party and Level Up mechanics.

They want D&D nerds to play MTG and vice versa and buy more premium nerd cardboard.

• 1Truth!

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Which is absolutely bananas, because there's not a DnD *or* Magic nerd in the world who hasn't heard of and had an opportunity to play the other game if they wanted to.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Which is absolutely bananas, because there's not a DnD *or* Magic nerd in the world who hasn't heard of and had an opportunity to play the other game if they wanted to.
Yeah but a lapsed MTG player who still plays D&D is going to be more likely to buy shitty premium alt card cards because it looks like their childhood D&D manual.

It's 100% cross promotion to increase engagement with both games.