MTG thread

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The amount of people nostalgia for 1st edition style art that aren't still playing 1st edition is pretty small and those guys are old (and they're still playing 1st edition campaigns the goddamn weirdos).

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
This seems really good for an uncommon.
6A381081-AC93-4E64-9479-466A5365D1F9.png

Sterling

El Presidente
The amount of people nostalgia for 1st edition style art that aren't still playing 1st edition is pretty small and those guys are old (and they're still playing 1st edition campaigns the goddamn weirdos).
I haven't played 1E in like ~ 30 years but that's definitely where my nostalgia for the game is regardless of the actual modern quality of it. Malaki the Gnome Thief/Illusionist will live on forever.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I haven't played 1E in like ~ 30 years but that's definitely where my nostalgia for the game is regardless of the actual modern quality of it. Malaki the Gnome Thief/Illusionist will live on forever.

Alright guys, we found him.

You are going to need to buy a lot of this product.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Honestly I'm okay with the weaker cards. I'm not going to buy a bunch, but standard needs a boot to the ballse for a year or two to try to reset it. If wizards is willing to choke down a period of lower profit for the long term health of the game, I think that would be good.

Unfortunately, they will instead spook and bail early to get sales numbers back.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Honestly I'm okay with the weaker cards. I'm not going to buy a bunch, but standard needs a boot to the ballse for a year or two to try to reset it. If wizards is willing to choke down a period of lower profit for the long term health of the game, I think that would be good.

Unfortunately, they will instead spook and bail early to get sales numbers back.

I think mystical archives was one way wizards tried to help people buy a powered down set. help mitigate losses in sales.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Alright guys, we found him.

You are going to need to buy a lot of this product.
That's their monetization strategy though.

Get more money out of their shrinking playerbase with premium products and super rare alternate frames and art styles.

I wouldn't have thought that many would be Walking Dead or Godzilla fanatics either, or the even more niche secret lairs.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I think mystical archives was one way wizards tried to help people buy a powered down set. help mitigate losses in sales.
Compared to what we’ve seen in AFR so far, Strixhaven was a powerhouse set.

• 1Double Worf

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
That's their monetization strategy though.

Get more money out of their shrinking playerbase with premium products and super rare alternate frames and art styles.

I wouldn't have thought that many would be Walking Dead or Godzilla fanatics either, or the even more niche secret lairs.
Pretty sure it's not shrinking. COVID was a blow to the traditional way of playing Magic but they still sold more cards than ever. I've never seen good estimates of market size among players at home, but they've always said the LGS and competitive crowds were a very small fraction of total sales.

Set still sucks balls though. If this is what Universes Beyond have in store, they can fuckin keep it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Set still sucks balls though. If this is what Universes Beyond have in store, they can fuckin keep it.
This is a standard legal set and therefore not Universes Beyond.

I'm gonna give a real minority opinion here: This set will probably be fun to draft. The drafts will have some very grindy, interactive board states, with a ton of modal cards that will require you actually getting card advantage to break board stalls. This is how drafts are supposed to work. There will probably be <35 cards that get played in constructed ever, and <10 that get played in eternal formats, but that's okay. That's how Standard legal expansions are SUPPOSED to be. The recent meta of having every Standard set print 50+ pushed bombs cannot continue. I honestly hope they start bringing the power level of Standard back down to historical norms by pushing out more of these clunky ass sets.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Pretty sure it's not shrinking. COVID was a blow to the traditional way of playing Magic but they still sold more cards than ever. I've never seen good estimates of market size among players at home, but they've always said the LGS and competitive crowds were a very small fraction of total sales.

They selling more cards to less (and older) people. It's a dying game, this is the last squeeze to get some major cash out of the playbase for Hasbro.

• 1Picard

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They selling more cards to less (and older) people. It's a dying game, this is the last squeeze to get some major cash out of the playbase for Hasbro.
Do you have any data to back this up?

Just the digital sales of Magic have dwarfed the profits of the rest of Hasbro put together.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah I think it will be a fun draft set, but if they don’t have any value as singles whatsoever I can’t see ever actually purchasing physical packs.

• 1Truth!