MTG thread

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Highlander CCG kick-starting another new edition. Game refuses to die.

I hope it's good. I thought the first edition was dope. I've heard mixed reviews of the new edition, mostly from the established 2nd edition playerbase. The problem is you can't really reliably find 2nd edition cards anywhere so even if it's a superior game, it doesn't matter if no one plays it.

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Flashback 1999, the MTG scene was very strong in Colorado because some of the original artists were based in Boulder. One of those was Shuler, who would visit local gaming stores from time to time. Playing one Friday night at my LCS and in walks Shuler and the model for the original Serra Angel. They signed stuff for a bit, hung out for a bit with the people playing then headed out. Was a pretty cool experience for what should have been a random MTG night at the card shop.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
New SL lolz The set symbol almost even look like a penis. Makes sense as I'm sure far more perverts will buy these than women/children.

ponies.png

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Hey what are some of the most annoying/unfun decks to play against if you’re a casual theses days?

off the top of my head, I’m thinking “Urzatron” and “Turbo Fog”

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Hey what are some of the most annoying/unfun decks to play against if you’re a casual theses days?

This is a massive game. You've gotta specify format at least. There are so many annoying decks across a vast space of annoying formats.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

In Historic right now everyone is bitching about The One Ring Control decks. I don't mind them so much, tho, my Esper Control pile is mainly just annoyingly weak to some random jank decks that don't show up as much at higher ranks, most notably stupid fucking Gates / Maze's End.

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Any sort of static orb or winter orb deck usually gets the table to rage currently in our small group.

March of the machine decks are an unspoken rule to not play for casual play here as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
I don’t think I’ve ever played against a Tom Bombadil historic brawl deck where they didn’t pull this card by turn 5-6
IMG_7309.png

Fucking ridiculous “algorithms”

Chris

Potato del Grande

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Rights would be tricky to finagle but quirky idea I had for a Secret Lair is to do a set based specifically on the D&D setting from the Futurama episode Bender's Game. Would be an out of this world popular seller if they did it right.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, that seems to be their problem the last few years. I mean, how the hell do you mess up 2 D&D sets? But they managed to.
And those Bender's Game D&D references they could riff on would be one of the few meme level cartoony Universes Beyond properties they could print in black border that even the edge lords wouldn't bitch about as far as ruining their immersion. Futurama crossover merchandising is one of those things that "genre" fans will forever forgive being pandered to over.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, that seems to be their problem the last few years. I mean, how the hell do you mess up 2 D&D sets? But they managed to.
Judging by the demand and price increases of Baldur's Gate cards following the release of BG3, if Larian had hit their original target, that set would have been much better received at launch. It's a good set, with cool cards, that was lost in the shuffle. And now with the game coming out, everyone is going back and looking at them with fresh eyes.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Out with Draft and Set boxes, in with Play boxes. What Are Play Boosters?

playboosters.png

36 packs, but will cost more than current Set Booster Boxers. Going live with Murders at Karlov Manor. Still leaving those stupid art cards in. Does anyone actually care about those?

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Fun way for WotC to save money with a SKU crunch while milking the sad number of people who still draft out of more money.