MTG thread

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Too bad they decided not to make any more Universes Beyond Planeswalkers, Planeswalker Doctor Strange would be sweet

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It's the summer of 2025.

You sit down to play modern on a Friday evening. It's pretty hot out and your LGS kinda has that summer funk already building, but you don't mind.

Everyone shuffles up and the fun begins. Your opponent plays The Justice League Tower for his first land which taps for one mana of any color to cast any character owned by Disney corporation. He plays Young Anakin (Sith bordered special version, number 55/5000), who is a legendary creature which triggers the Legendary Sword of Sephiroth he also had in his hand, which comes in to play for free attached to Young Anakin.

You play a forest and cast Llanowar Elves, forgetting that the legendary Sword of Sephiroth inflicts -1/-1 on all creatures who are not part of the Final Fantasy universe. Your Llanowar Elves dies. The last bit of you that enjoyed magic 20 years ago dies with your elf.

Over in the corner a commander player laughs so hard he spills his 32oz Thanos Gauntlet drinking jug on the table. Soylent gets everywhere. The group is pretty bummed but it's okay no ones limited edition Spiderman that required attending a Disney World event in-person to get was damaged. It was time to head home anyway cause they forget to bring their 10pm Ozempic pills with them, so they shuffle out.

You step outside after losing your first match. The funk dissipates. The gleeful sleep-apnea screeches of commander players fade in to a din inside the store behind you.

This was probably your last night playing Magic.

• 3Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's the summer of 2025.

You sit down to play modern on a Friday evening. It's pretty hot out and your LGS kinda has that summer funk already building, but you don't mind.

Everyone shuffles up and the fun begins. Your opponent plays The Justice League Tower for his first land which taps for one mana of any color to cast any character owned by Disney corporation. He plays Young Anakin (Sith bordered special version, number 55/5000), who is a legendary creature which triggers the Legendary Sword of Sephiroth he also had in his hand, which comes in to play for free attached to Young Anakin.

You play a forest and cast Llanowar Elves, forgetting that the legendary Sword of Sephiroth inflicts -1/-1 on all creatures who are not part of the Final Fantasy universe. Your Llanowar Elves dies. The last bit of you that enjoyed magic 20 years ago dies with your elf.

Over in the corner a commander player laughs so hard he spills his 32oz Thanos Gauntlet drinking jug on the table. Soylent gets everywhere. The group is pretty bummed but it's okay no ones limited edition Spiderman that required attending a Disney World event in-person to get was damaged. It was time to head home anyway cause they forget to bring their 10pm Ozempic pills with them, so they shuffle out.

You step outside after losing your first match. The funk dissipates. The gleeful sleep-apnea screeches of commander players fade in to a din inside the store behind you.

Yep. They are eroding the brand and cashing out one fandom at a time.

Who is going to care about Return to Return to Ravnica, a safe story written by Californian Alphabet people, when you can play with Sephiroth who next year is going to brutally execute a woman in HD?

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Yep. They are eroding the brand and cashing out one fandom at a time.

Who is going to care about Return to Return to Ravnica, a safe story written by Californian Alphabet people, when you can play with Sephiroth who next year is going to brutally execute a woman in HD?

You got a black washed Aragorn for trade? Come on bro, I know u got one

Last edited:
  • 2Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's the summer of 2025.

I blame the people making alters, and the fact that alters weren't banned immediately.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This is the most accessible magic card.
hff6o1bybdwb1.jpg

• 1Weird Boner
  • 1WTF

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Wording on that card blows, but damn if it isn’t going straight into Arahbo.

Or maybe not. I’m constantly waffling about whether or not I still want to play this game. Well, I do still want to play Magic, but it’s becoming more and more not-Magic at an alarming rate. Dunno if I should just cash out what I have and switch to proxies like my husband does. Perpetual spoiler season and more dumb crossovers just has me constantly in “it’s all so tiresome” mode instead of being excited for anything.

• 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Wording on that card blows, but damn if it isn’t going straight into Arahbo.

Or maybe not. I’m constantly waffling about whether or not I still want to play this game. Well, I do still want to play Magic, but it’s becoming more and more not-Magic at an alarming rate. Dunno if I should just cash out what I have and switch to proxies like my husband does. Perpetual spoiler season and more dumb crossovers just has me constantly in “it’s all so tiresome” mode instead of being excited for anything.
I've heavily considered just liquidating everything $10+ since all I ever play anymore is casual commander where proxies roam free.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've heavily considered just liquidating everything $10+ since all I ever play anymore is casual commander where proxies roam free.
I'm gonna sell everything because I'm never going inside a room full of gamers ever again.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I realized I've only played 2 commander games in 3 months. I've only played standard, pioneer, draft, and a little pauper at my LGS. So I'm going to hope that UB brings in new players and they'll try other formats eventually.

That's probably not a realistic hope once they find out how much 4 sheoldreds cost to run their favorite deck from Arena...

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I'm in the process of selling most of cards right now. The non-stop releases, shitty QC and many questionable design choices put me here. Plus doesn't affect me playing my favorite format.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
I'm in the process of selling most of cards right now. The non-stop releases, shitty QC and many questionable design choices put me here. Plus doesn't affect me playing my favorite format.
I was just coming here to complain about the QC too. I picked up some commander cards 4 for a buck. And boy do some look fake as shit. Color is off paper doesn't feel the same.

Such bs.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Some pretty spicy reprints.

Oh here, shamelessly stealing this:

Ahoy Mateys
  1. Black Market Connections ($28)
  2. Pitiless Plunderer ($11)
  3. Timestream Navigator ($8)
  4. Port Razer ($6)
  5. Vanquisher's Banner ($5)
Other notable stuff below $5: Sulfur Falls, Prismari Command, Windfall, Blasphemous Act, Bident of Thassa, Angrath's Marauders, Blood Money, Herald's Horn

Blood Rites
  1. Exquisite Blood ($35)
  2. Elenda the Dusk Rose ($10)
  3. Bloodghast ($10)
  4. New Blood ($8)
  5. Twilight Prophet ($5)
  6. Pact of the Serpent ($5)
Other notable stuff below $5: Welcoming Vampire, Blood Artist, Blade of the Bloodchief, Isolated Chapel

Explorers of the Deep
  1. Branching Evolution ($18)
  2. Metallic Mimic ($9)
  3. Kindred Discovery ($8)
  4. Thassa, God of the Sea ($8)
  5. Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca ($7)
Other notable stuff below $5: Realmwalker, Hinterland Harbor, Alchemists Refuge, Rapid Hybridization, Simic Ascendancy, Hardened Scales

Veloci-ramp-tor
  1. Akroma's Will ($20)
  2. Apex Altisaur ($14)
  3. Chandra's Ignition ($12)
  4. Xenagos, God of Revels ($10)
  5. Descendant's Path ($8)
  6. Rhythm of the Wild ($5)
  7. Runic Armasaur ($5)
Other notable stuff below $5: Clifftop Retreat, Rishkar's Expertise, Zacama Primal Calamity

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
lol Exquisite Blood is worth that much fucking money? Shit, I might've been cardboard rich before the reprint.